Old 27-12-2010, 06:06 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening

Default Feeding birds

In article , Janet Tweedy
writes
In article , Darkside
writes
Snopes says it's true that dried or fresh grapes can harm dogs:

I think also it depends on the amount of grapes and the size of the dog.
My Dalmatians sometimes ate grapes and never had any adverse reaction. I
put grapes out for the birds once (the bruised fruit) and after they
fell on the ground both my ate them.

My gran's bitch ate a pound of butter and was ill all over the house.
It didn't do her any lasting harm...

--
Sue ];(
Old 29-12-2010, 08:36 PM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening

"Darkside" wrote in message
In article , Janet Tweedy
writes
In article , Darkside
writes
Snopes says it's true that dried or fresh grapes can harm dogs:

I think also it depends on the amount of grapes and the size of the dog.
My Dalmatians sometimes ate grapes and never had any adverse reaction. I
put grapes out for the birds once (the bruised fruit) and after they
fell on the ground both my ate them.

My gran's bitch ate a pound of butter and was ill all over the house.
It didn't do her any lasting harm...

I wont tell you how my lurcher broke my into my fridge and ate "everything"
in there. Or maybe I will..
She ate everything in there. Butter, cheese, bacon, margarine.
She'd been lost (dumped probably) and she knew how to break into a fridge.
And a cupboard was not a problem. She could break into tins of food but it
was never tins of fruit, only meat or tuna.
I never regretted adopting her although she was one of the difficult ones.
She did protect me once. She up and bit someone that I told not to come one
more step toward me. He did. He met Trim and she said "No" good bite in
the thigh.

I still miss her.

Tina

Old 01-01-2011, 01:29 AM posted to uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.rec.gardening

"Darkside" wrote in message
In article , Christina Websell
writes

"Pete" wrote in message
.. .

Some wise person round here recently warned of the dangers of leaving
raisins etc. out for the wildlife,
as they were deadly dangers to cats if eaten by them.

If your cat is as sensible as mine he will not eat raisins. He eats meat,
not fruit. If he did eat them, I doubt if it would harm him. But he
wouldn't eat raisins. Ever. Why would a cat do that?
Raisins are good for blackbirds. Never saw a cat eat raisins.

Cats are usually less daft than dogs, especially young ones.

Snopes says it's true that dried or fresh grapes can harm dogs:
http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/raisins.asp

Only you can know whether your dog is likely to eat birdfood.
--

My cat would never dream of eating raisins. He has a problem eating
anything that does not come out of a tin or box that does not have a picture
of a cat on it.
He claims it isn't food otherwise.
Apart from the occasionally mouse or very small rat.
He was supposed to patrol my chicken huts. He does. If he sees a big rat
he pretends he doesn't and just feels the need to wash himself to let it get
away. Don't blame him, they have teeth ike chisels and they give the
terriers a run for their money. One terrier caught a big one and it latched
on to her nose. she yelped, antiseptic required afterwards.
Boyfie is not so stupid. He likes to hunt but only if he comes off best.
Mice and baby ratties. Not grandfather rats who are a quarter as big as
himself with the biggest brown chisel teeth you ever saw.
I've seen him ignore them deliberately.
I don't expect him to deal with them.
That's why I get the terriers in.
Although he's been so good about catching the little ones that they don't
grow up to be big rats now and the terriers are disappointed when they come.
They missed one last time.
What I like now is either Boyfriend catches the young rats or the terriers
get the big ones. Having poultry you will always get rats.
I used to use poison. Put it down and get rid of your rats or mice.
Twice I found a rat wandering around, dying slowly. Not acceptable.
Either the terriers get them or my cat does now, either way they are gone in
seconds.
No poison.
It's so easy to buy, so easy to use, but I found that when I thought about
it, I wondered about what I was doing, I was ashamed to see a rat dying
slowly from the poison.
No poison here now, it's a quick death if the terriers catch you Mr Rat and
if not you get away until next time. No lingering deaths here now.

Feeding birds Sacha[_3_] United Kingdom 8 13-06-2008 04:58 PM
Feeding the birds Sacha United Kingdom 1 17-06-2006 12:36 PM
Continual feeding of garden birds Sacha United Kingdom 1 05-05-2006 09:21 PM
When do I stop feeding peanuts to the birds? Alan Holmes United Kingdom 6 09-03-2006 03:32 PM
Slightly OT-Feeding Birds Joanne United Kingdom 41 30-10-2004 06:10 PM