Old 21-01-2011, 03:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Best item to sharpen secateurs /pruners

On Jan 21, 11:12*am, "Bill Grey" wrote:
"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message

In article
, Dave
Hill writes
I realy don't know, like you I am thinking about buying, but I
wouldn't go for very fine for garden use

Three diamond grits are available.Medium (400 grit) for fast
sharpening where a high finish quality is required .Fine ( 600 grit)
that has the ability to sharpen a dull knife in less than a minute and
bring the edge to a razor sharp finish.

Might go for fine then!
--
Janet Tweedy
Amersham Gardening Association

I don't wish to confuse this issue, but just to point out that the diamond
sharpeners I have are DTM and are the Red sharpener (Fine) and the Blue
sharpner (Coarse). *It seems the package has space for two sharpeners but
the blurb mentions a Green sharpener (very Fine) !

This suggests that the last one (Green) is not a generally required item. *I
can't *compare the grit sizes with those quoted by Dave as these are
referred to as Red - 25 micron, and Blue 45 micron !

Best wishes,

Bill- Hide quoted text -

Well I've ordered the set of 3, so will report back when I get them.
David
Old 22-01-2011, 12:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Bob Hobden
writes
I use the Diafold ones in red and green.
Black.. (60 mocron/220mesh) Course for removing material.
Blue... (45 micron/325 mesh) Medium for grinding an edge.
Red.... (23 micron/600 mesh) Fine for making a sharp edge, sharpening.
Green. (9 micron/1200 mesh) for polishing an edge, honing to a razor
sharpness.

Thanks Bob, I'll get them or see if i can find them locally before
ordering.
Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 22-01-2011, 12:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Bill Grey
writes
I don't wish to confuse this issue, but just to point out that the diamond
sharpeners I have are DTM and are the Red sharpener (Fine) and the Blue
sharpner (Coarse). It seems the package has space for two sharpeners but
the blurb mentions a Green sharpener (very Fine) !

Yes i seem to have pages of stuff to cross reference now
(Whoever said computers stopped paper wastage?)

It does seems a confusing issue to try and get the best. Two 'experts'
that have spoken to the hardy Plant Society both gave different makes
that they would try and buy or trusted and those that they would never
buy again or felt were worse than useless.
It didn't seem that paying more for them would guarantee a better job
having just pruned out a lot of Phormium I am being pushed to get at
least one sharpened soon
Old 22-01-2011, 12:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article
,
Dave Hill writes
Well I've ordered the set of 3, so will report back when I get them.
David

Ah good, David a path finder! I'll let you try them and then go for the
one you choose

Janet
Old 22-01-2011, 01:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/01/2011 12:06, Janet Tweedy wrote:
In article
,
Dave Hill writes
Well I've ordered the set of 3, so will report back when I get them.
David

Ah good, David a path finder! I'll let you try them and then go for the
one you choose

Janet

This might be interesting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNTQ7qLeKVw

Not exactly gardening related but there's a snippet in there about
sharpening pruners

Old 22-01-2011, 02:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote ..

Bob Hobden writes
I use the Diafold ones in red and green.
Black.. (60 mocron/220mesh) Course for removing material.
Blue... (45 micron/325 mesh) Medium for grinding an edge.
Red.... (23 micron/600 mesh) Fine for making a sharp edge, sharpening.
Green. (9 micron/1200 mesh) for polishing an edge, honing to a razor
sharpness.

Thanks Bob, I'll get them or see if i can find them locally before
ordering.

If you only want one then go for the Red one.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden
Old 22-01-2011, 03:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

Ah good, David a path finder! I'll let you try them and then go for the
one you choose

Janet

They arrived today,
Quite small working area just a couple of inches, and one sided.
They say instructions for use are available, but not enclosed so I'll
have to contact, I presume you can wash them.

===========ITEM DETAILS===========
Product Description: Diamond Hone And Stone Set Of 3 (LPAK)
Unit Price: 18.95
Quantity: 1

Goods Total: 18.95
Carriage: 5.95
GRAND TOTAL: 24.90

Only time will tell just how good they are, first impression is that
the coarse one cuts into the blade well.

David Hill
Old 22-01-2011, 04:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Jan 22, 3:36*pm, Dave Hill wrote:
Ah good, David a path finder! I'll let you try them and then go for the
one you choose

Janet

They arrived today,
Quite small working area just a couple of inches, and one sided.
They say instructions for use are available, but not enclosed so I'll
have to contact, I presume you can wash them.

===========ITEM DETAILS===========
Product Description: Diamond Hone And Stone Set Of 3 (LPAK)
Unit Price: * * * * *18.95
Quantity: * * * * * *1

Goods Total: *18.95
Carriage: * * 5.95
GRAND TOTAL: *24.90

Only time will tell just how good they are, first impression is that
the coarse one cuts into the blade well.

David Hill

Having just paid through the nose for the sharpeners I found this site
http://www.toolventure.co.uk/Brands/...b1417_pg2.aspx
they are on offer here for just
EZE-LAP
Ezelap Diamond Sharpening Pad Set Of 3 M/F/SF - ¾” x 2”
was £15.91
save 37%
now £9.99 (ex VAT)

David
Old 24-01-2011, 09:29 PM
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet Tweedy View Post
My secateurs and pruners and loppers invariably need sharpening and I
should really make a resolution to do what experts say and don't wait
for them to get blunt but to sharpen after I have used them EVERY time
However I have a carborundum stone which I use for chisels etc. but I'm
hopeless in getting the right angle.
Is there anything that you would recommend to use on Felco etc. I think
darlac do one but i wondered if stones were better than say those rod
shaped sharpeners?

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Amersham Gardening Association
Amersham Gardening Association/2
Hi Janet, Further to all the very good replies. Speaking with my angling hat on, find a good local fishing tackle shop and ask for hook sharpening stones, i think you will find that they are ideal (and much cheaper than some quoted here) I have used one of these on a pair of Felco's that ive had since I was at Cannington in 1968. Personally, i think its not necessary to sharpen them after every use, but cleaning and oiling them is. Often getting the right adjustment is as important as to how sharp they are.
Lannerman