Old 25-01-2011, 03:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Potted plants this time of year

Hi,
I need some help.
I'm organising a funeral for a close friend and there's a slight
difficulty. She hated cut flowers and didn't have them in the house, any
time.
I'm thinking of potted plants/flowers for the funeral service, but
haven't a clue what's available this time of year and how hardy they
might be, if I bought them several days before and how they'd stand up
to a long journey to the crematorium. Budget is a consideration, too.
Any suggestions welcomed, and many thanks in advance.
Old 26-01-2011, 10:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bill Grey" wrote in message

"'Mike'" wrote in message

Shortbread wrote in message
Hi,
I need some help.
I'm organising a funeral for a close friend and there's a slight
difficulty. She hated cut flowers and didn't have them in the house, any
time.
I'm thinking of potted plants/flowers for the funeral service, but
haven't a clue what's available this time of year and how hardy they
might be, if I bought them several days before and how they'd stand up
to a long journey to the crematorium. Budget is a consideration, too.
Any suggestions welcomed, and many thanks in advance.

Why not wait and plant a tree or bush where her ashes are scattered?

Mike

An admirable suggestion, and a long lasting tribute as well.

Bill

Thank you Bill

I have never understood the practice of killing flowers just because someone
has died. Don't go much on cut flowers for anything, be it a bouquet for
some occasion, 'dressing' a room, hall, car, church anything. Let the
flowers grow in their natural environment. Flowers for a wedding. Dozens cut
for the bride, maids, church and what? Dead and forgotten next week :-((
Damn stupid.

Mike
Who doesn't want any flowers when he pops his clogs

Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive

Old 26-01-2011, 12:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26/01/2011 10:40, 'Mike' wrote:
"Bill wrote in message

wrote in message

[...]

Yes, I found the huge, rusty skip full of flowers at the back of the
crematorium depressing
Old 26-01-2011, 12:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"stuart noble" wrote in message ...
I have never understood the practice of killing flowers just because
someone
has died. Don't go much on cut flowers for anything, be it a bouquet for
some occasion, 'dressing' a room, hall, car, church anything. Let the
flowers grow in their natural environment. Flowers for a wedding. Dozens
cut
for the bride, maids, church and what? Dead and forgotten next week :-((
Damn stupid.

Mike
Who doesn't want any flowers when he pops his clogs

Yes, I found the huge, rusty skip full of flowers at the back of the
crematorium depressing

Disagree !

These flowers give much pleasure and satisfaction to many.
They are not "garden" grown, but are either field or greenhouse cultivated,
specifically for cutting.

Additionally they provide incomes for for the tens of thousands involved in
the trade.

Agree (:-) however, that we should leave all our garden and wild flowers
just where they are.

Regards
Pete
Nanneys Bridge Nursery

Old 26-01-2011, 03:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

drugs began to take hold. I remember "'Mike'"
saying something like:

Why not wait and plant a tree or bush where her ashes are scattered?

I'll do that, too. Good idea.

What are you going to do with the pot plant :-((

I'd be planting them out, if hardy enough.
Old 26-01-2011, 04:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Grimly Curmudgeon" wrote in message
drugs began to take hold. I remember Janet saying
something like:

I would contact the crematorium by phone for advice
and lean on their long experience; or ask the undertaker.

Many people nowadays request no flowers, especially at cremations. All
the crems I've been to, provide floral arrangements which stay in place
for each service to grace the occasion. Unlike churches, their booking
schedules often run so tight that there is little time between them,
for setting up/taking down additional floral displays etc in the same
room as the service.

I've contacted the crem and they inform me they don't have
semi-permanent floral arrangments, so it's down to each funeral party to
arrange their own. As you say, there might be a rush to clear the place
between bookings, so they'd not be too appreciative of clearing out a
load of stuff.
I'm still undecided - I might go for a large /wide pot of something
suitable/whatever's available, just to provide a bit of colour.
She picked the wrong time of year, is the problem

""She picked the wrong time of year, is the problem""

She had a choice? I never knew you had the option ;-)

Mike
Who is here for a loooooooooooooong time now the NHS has spent a lot of
money on me rebuilt me ;-)

Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive

Old 26-01-2011, 04:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , stuart noble
writes

Yes, I found the huge, rusty skip full of flowers at the back of the
crematorium depressing

Our local puts the left over flowers out for the deer in the evening, I
believe.

Also, apart from something maybe on the coffin, the floral tributes are
arranged by the undertakers outside the chapel, so when you leave the
service you are guided past them and can stop and view them in a special
area which is big enough to have more than one party doing it

--
regards andyw
Old 26-01-2011, 05:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message ...

I've done many flower arrangements for weddings, christenings and funerals.
In several cases they've gone to residential homes and hospices and given a
lot of pleasure to others after the services are over.

--
.Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Yes.

I believe that there is a team of volunteers at Christies Cancer Hospital in
Manchester that accept the
wreaths etc. after they have served their funeral purpose.
They then convert them into arrangements more suitable for hospital display.

Regards
Pete
Nanneys Bridge Nursery

Old 27-01-2011, 02:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

drugs began to take hold. I remember Shortbread saying
something like:

I need some help.

Thanks to all for your suggestions.
Availability in the local florists is quite sparse, but I've found a
tray of potted primulas of various colours which will do the job nicely.
I just hope the flowers don't drop off before I get them there - she'd
laugh her socks off at that.