Old 04-04-2011, 08:50 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Gardeners World gone to seed

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-Buckland.html

Mike

Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive

Old 04-04-2011, 09:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Apr 4, 8:50*am, "'Mike'" wrote:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...lost-plot-BBC-...

Mike

Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive

That should read Gardeners world Site reverts to nature.
It just shows that you can throw money at a Garden but without a good
measure of love it is nothing other than an expensive "set".
Old 04-04-2011, 11:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Mon, 4 Apr 2011 01:10:50 -0700 (PDT), Dave Hill
wrote:

That should read Gardeners world Site reverts to nature.
It just shows that you can throw money at a Garden but without a good
measure of love it is nothing other than an expensive "set".

http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/news/a...-Buckland.html

IMO in recent years GW peaked last year. The BBC adapted the series to
reflect urg/viewers comments. The camera work is poor this year. Often
what Monty is doing with his hands is not visible. All too often we
see Monty's face and not what he is doing. There is too much of Monty
and not enough of gardening.
--

Martin

I don't watch GW, but I find it hard to believe that the BBC takes any
notice of what URGLERS have to say. Do they take notice of anyone?

Bill

Old 04-04-2011, 06:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

That should read Gardeners world Site reverts to nature.
It just shows that you can throw money at a Garden but without a good
measure of love it is nothing other than an expensive "set".
http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/news/a...-Buckland.html

IMO

in recent years GW peaked last year. The BBC adapted the series to
reflect urg/viewers comments. The camera work is poor this year. Often
what Monty is doing with his hands is not visible. All too often we
see Monty's face and not what he is doing. There is too much of Monty
and not enough of gardening.
--

Martin

I don't watch GW, but I find it hard to believe that the BBC takes any
notice of what URGLERS have to say. Do they take notice of anyone?

Bill

Urglers (and others) were among those who complained about the way in
which Chelsea was being presented a few years ago. Changes were made and
very much for the better. Monty Don has responded to a post on here, so I
think there can be little doubt that gardening groups are read and if
vociferous enough, listened to! It's no exaggeration to say that some
people here know easily as much as presenters past and present and are in
a very good position to criticise helpfully.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Good to hear this, it makes commenting usefully all the more worthwhile.

Bill

Old 04-04-2011, 06:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote ...
That was the very point Roy Lancaster made when we talked to him about
gardening progs last year. He said that as a 'new boy' he'd been told
to remember that what the customers were interested in was the plants
and how to treat them, not his face! I'm afraid we've just about given
up on GW. We had real hopes for an improvement in direction but it's
still far too much about people and not enough about plants and
gardening. There's no point in that. We'll be interested to see how
then ew Alan Titchmarsh programme works out.

That's the Producers fault, they think everyone in the UK subscribes to the
"cult of the celebrity" and wants to be entertained whereas I think
gardeners are one of the groups that doesn't much (except when it's real
experts in plants and presenting like Roy Lancaster).
Plants, plants and more plants with details and instructions is what we
want, not faces, in a lot of cases it's too many of those that make us enjoy
the quiet solitude of gardening even more.
Personally I think Monty is doing a good job, he is much more relaxed in his
own garden, whereas last time I couldn't get into the programmes and stopped
watching.

I wonder what the "Open University" making the programmes would be like?
Might then get those Latin names and more in-depth info.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 05-04-2011, 10:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

The primary focus group was the BBC's own GW forum where the
suits/producers got very involved. Not surprisingly, the views
expressed there were similar to those expressed here. Monty's post was
on Garden Banter.

Old 05-04-2011, 10:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-Buckland.html

Mike

Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive

Perhaps what is really needed is for Green Acre to continue with Toby as a
different gardening program. For those of us creating or aspiring to create
a garden from scratch, this is far more interesting than an existing garden.

Old 07-04-2011, 05:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2011-04-05 22:50:48 +0100, "M" said:

"'Mike'" wrote in message
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-Buckland.html

Mike

Don't

take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive

Perhaps what is really needed is for Green Acre to continue with Toby
as a different gardening program. For those of us creating or aspiring
to create a garden from scratch, this is far more interesting than an
existing garden.

Depends who you ask: there's no getting away from the fact that viewing
figures for the new series are over 25% up on last year.

Old 09-04-2011, 05:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2011-04-05 22:50:48 +0100, "M" said:

"'Mike'" wrote in message
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-Buckland.html

Mike

Don't

take

life too seriously, you'll never get out alive

Perhaps what is really needed is for Green Acre to continue with Toby
as a different gardening program. For those of us creating or aspiring
to create a garden from scratch, this is far more interesting than an
existing garden.

Depends who you ask: there's no getting away from the fact that viewing
figures for the new series are over 25% up on last year.

Even more people watch Eastenders, but that doesn't mean it is a
quality programme.

It doesn't prove that it isn't, either. Chacun a son gout. One man's meat, etc

Old 12-04-2011, 03:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2011-04-05 22:50:48 +0100, "M" said:

"'Mike'" wrote in message
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-Buckland.html

Mike

Don't

take

life

too seriously, you'll never get out alive

Perhaps what is really needed is for Green Acre to continue with Toby
as a different gardening program. For those of us creating or aspiring
to create a garden from scratch, this is far more interesting than an
existing garden.

Depends who you ask: there's no getting away from the fact that viewing
figures for the new series are over 25% up on last year.

Even more people watch Eastenders, but that doesn't mean it is a
quality programme.

It doesn't prove that it isn't, either. Chacun a son gout. One man's meat, etc

My point is that viewing figures prove very little.

Well, they prove that the current GW series is of interest to more
people than the previous one. Your view is subjective, naturally, and
you are entitled to it - even though you would appear to be in the
minority preferring last year's series. Quality too is subjective and
difficult to define. Arguably a programme has only to be technically
well-made to earn the quality symbol...and in that respect, the current
series is at least as well made as last year's series -- in my view.

Old 23-04-2011, 08:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

On Sat, 23 Apr 2011 17:41:24 +0100, Martin wrote:

On Wed, 13 Apr 2011 17:40:38 +0100, Janet wrote:

In article ,
says...

In our house we are unaminous in our opinion of the current GW.
Last year I don't recall scenes that were filmed in a gloomy shed with
the camera focussed on a celebrity's face rather than on what he was
doing with his hands.

I didn't care what Monty was doing, I was lusting after his wonderful
shed and wanted to see more of it.

Good Friday edition had the wonderful shed better illuminated and an
increase in the photos of Mony Don's hands to face ratio.

At the right of the tools hanging on the wall was something in a
sheath, with what seemed to be Japanese writing on it. Does anybody
know exactly what it was?

(It's a long time since I lived there, but I've been told Sargents in
Reading have long closed: the inheritor wasn't interested, apparently.
I mourn the loss, as they had wonderful tools from all over the place,
including extraordinary Japanese ones. The Japanese saws were thin,
and cut on the pull stroke, so even if I could have afforded them,
their precision would have been utterly wasted on me.)

--
Mike.