Old 04-05-2011, 11:36 PM
Registered User

Default Alton Greenhouse dismantling advice

Hi,
I'm a newbie here. I've just bought a secondhand 8x10 Alton greenhouse and now must go and dismantle and collect it from the seller.
I'd like advice about the best way to do this... eg should I remove all glass or transport the panels with glass in situ?
I've ordered a complete set of assembly hardware from Alton so I can be savage when dismantling and use new screws etc when reassembling.
What sequence should I dismantle - eg roof....walls... ends. Or roof... ends...walls?

I've downloaded the assembly instructions from the Alton website and notice that there is mastic used along the ridge. Is this easy to access and cut through with a Stanley knife?

I will be hiring a van to transport the greenhouse and will need to bring all the tools I'm likely to need (screwdrivers, saw, knife, spanners) Anything else?
Old 05-05-2011, 06:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
Tractorboy

You will need to take all the glass out. If your van is big enough
you may then be able to transport the larger sub-assemblies which
would save a lot of work. (Or on roof rack?) If not, you will have to
completely dismantle it.

The main problem is transporting the glass without breaking it. It
needs to be clean and stacked on it's edge. You will need something to
prop the glass up and cushions or carpets to stand it/on wedge it to
stop it falling about.
Cardboard boxes, rope, bungey ropes, small tyres?
Old 05-05-2011, 07:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"harry" wrote in message
On May 4, 11:36 pm, Tractorboy
wrote:
[...]

.................................................. .................................................. ..................

Take lots of photos as you dismantle it. Lots and LOTS of photos from EVERY
angle.

I put one together which had already been dismantled without tooooooooooooo
much trouble. Common sense is more important than anything. "Do I take the
walls out first? No dummy, the roof!!""

As the previous poster said, it really is best to take all the glass out
first unless you can take the greenhouse down into only 6 sections and
transport them whole .................... CAREFULLY !!

Mike

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Old 05-05-2011, 08:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 05/05/2011 07:39, 'Mike' wrote:
wrote in message
On May 4, 11:36 pm,
wrote:
[...]

.................................................. .................................................. .................

Take lots of photos as you dismantle it. Lots and LOTS of photos from EVERY
angle.

I put one together which had already been dismantled without tooooooooooooo
much trouble. Common sense is more important than anything. "Do I take the
walls out first? No dummy, the roof!!""

As the previous poster said, it really is best to take all the glass out
first unless you can take the greenhouse down into only 6 sections and
transport them whole .................... CAREFULLY !!

You can probably get away with transporting any opening windows and
doors as entire subassemblies, but everything else needs to be broken
down. Expect to have to deal with broken glass and have some suitable
non-slip gloves for handling it. Also worth having a wrench and the
right socket set for the bolts as well as a couple of adjustables.

The bolts do tend to have corroded/seized even if they are aluminium -
particularly the ones near the ground. Apart from that it should be
obvious that the order to dismantle is glass out first - especially from
the roof. Hard hat not a bad idea here. The structure is quite
vulnerable to wind damage during this stage if it is in an exposed
location. As the other poster said take lots of pictures and if possible
mark the corners with numbers before taking it apart. It will almost
certainly go together more easily in the same configuration.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 05-05-2011, 08:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin Brown" wrote in message
On 05/05/2011 07:39, 'Mike' wrote:
wrote in message
On May 4, 11:36 pm,
wrote:
[...]

Martin's post above has just reminded me of marking corners etc. I was Stage
Manager of a play which when the run was finished at one theatre
http://www.apollo-theatre.org.uk/ we moved it to another theatre
http://www.friendsofshanklintheatre.org.uk/ for a further run. I numbered
each of the joints of the 'flats' (the 'walls' of the set) and it all went
together so easily. Start at one corner of your greenhouse and mark
everything '1' with a felt tip pen, the next joint '2' the next '3' etc.Then
take close up photos ;-) Now when you start to assemble and you pick a
piece up if it has a '10' at one end and '14' at the other, you will get a
'rough' idea of where it is going. In my case at the theatre, a flat with
'1' on one edge and '2' on the other was downstage left, '7' and '8'
somewhere in the middle. "Where's flat '2' and '3'?"

Treat it all as an engineering project not a gardening project

Old 05-05-2011, 12:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
On Wed, 4 May 2011 22:36:51 +0000, Tractorboy
wrote:

[...]

Number all the angles where struts, beams, cross members, side members
etc come together: 1,1,1,1; 2,2,2; 3,3,3,3; 4,4 etc. so that you know
which bits go together in which corners etc. Take a felt pen or two.

--

Chris

Gardening in West Cornwall overlooking the sea.
Mild, but very exposed to salt gales

Chris I think you put it just as well as I did in ......

Old 05-05-2011, 12:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 05/05/2011 06:02, harry wrote:
On May 4, 11:36 pm,
wrote:
[...]

Don't forget that old glass is a lot more brittle than new glass, and
can crack and chip very easily.

--

Jeff
Old 05-05-2011, 02:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Chris Hogg
writes
wrote:

[...]

Take some photos as well. It aids in reconstruction. We laid ours our on
the lawn when we did it, and then put it together in the right place.

If you are hiring a transit sized van, then you can probably leave it in
large bits, eg the ends, and sides etc. (without glass of course).
Otherwise you can move it with a car. It's the glass that takes up the
space. The frame in bits will mostly go inside. The longest members
would be best on roof bars. As has been said, stack the glass on end,
ideally with something between the panes, though when we did ours I
don't think we did. It might actually be easier to move the glass in a
car as you can put it behind the seats etc.

An electric screwdriver with a suitable socket (10mm probably) is handy
for assembly/disassembly. The bolts are generally aluminium so either
come undone easily, or just snap if corroded.

--
Chris French

Old 05-05-2011, 03:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

.................................................. .................................................. ..................

"chris French" wrote in message
In message , Chris Hogg
writes
wrote:

[...]

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++===

I sometimes wonder if people read previous posts!!!

Old 05-05-2011, 04:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 04/05/2011 23:36, Tractorboy wrote:
[...]

If you have the assembly instructions then reverse them to dismantle.

You must remove the glass (apart from the door and as otjers have said,
ould glass is very fragile. You will probably need new beading and
spring clips - they are easy to remove but where they end up is in the
lap of the gods

Malcolm

Old 05-05-2011, 04:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Malcolm" wrote in message
[...]

""as others have said""

How nice that some people read previous posts and don't repeat what has been

Old 05-05-2011, 10:34 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tractorboy View Post
Hi,
I'm a newbie here. I've just bought a secondhand 8x10 Alton greenhouse and now must go and dismantle and collect it from the seller.
I'd like advice about the best way to do this...
What a helpful lot you are!
Thank you so much for all the advice. I'm hiring a transit van, but until your unanimity re removing glass, I had planned to move it in sections, fully glazed. Now I think I'll wrap each pane in corrugated paper or bubble wrap. I won't have time to collect it until end of the month - but might crack on with the footings before then.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message

"Martin Brown" wrote in message
On 05/05/2011 07:39, 'Mike' wrote:
wrote in message
On May 4, 11:36 pm,
wrote:
[...]

It would appear that I should have added here ........ "This is not my idea,
but the usual practice, especially with touring theatre groups. As our flats
were well and truly marked from previous productions, I used a code T.O.D.
1, T.O.D.2 etc T.O.D. standing for the play, 'Touch of Danger', the story of
where an agent I think he was, was killed by a jab with an umbrella which
had Ricine (sp) on the end. But I doubt if your greenhouse has been moved so
many times that each end of the section has multiple markings and you need
to use your own code to differentiate from others"

Sorry if it appeared to you that it was my idea. Certainly not. An old
pracice.

Old 05-06-2011, 12:15 PM
Registered User

[...]

Well I've now transported the greenhouse from Sussex to Suffolk and thought I'd post one or two tips to help others undertaking a similar project:

1. The Alton 8' Amateur range does NOT fit in a regular Ford Transit. In particular, the gable ends don't fit! We had to leave those behind and make other arrangments.

2. Fit the bolts into the kerbs after dismantling so that the threaded holes don't get filled with dust and dirt.

3. Expect some minor rot even if the greenhouse superficially looks good. On close inspection of the joints, we found a couple of instances of wet rot. Easily fixed with wood hardener and filler.

4. When we got the greenhouse home, we set the glass out on the lawn and washed it all with soapy water and a floor mop. Then dried with a squeegee. It was a sunny day and although the glass was only on the lawn for about 90minutes, the grass underneath got badly scorched. We live and learn! We now have a lawn with bizarre patterns!

5. It was a surprisingly quick (about 5 hours) operation to sand all exposed timber surfaces with 40grit paper on an electric sander. It quickly removed old coloured wood treatment and made the whole thing look like new. We then treated the wood with a colourless preservative. The quickest way to sand the glazing bars was to clamp the sanding machine upside down in a workmate and run the bars over the sanding surface.

The footings are dug and the concrete poured. I made shuttering so the footings are a couple of inches above ground and I'm going to set the kerbs on a mortar bed. This will lift the whole house about 2.5" so I don't have to duck to avoid the door frame!
Old 05-06-2011, 04:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 05/06/2011 12:15, Tractorboy wrote:
Tractorboy;919965 Wrote:
Hi,
I'm a newbie here. I've just bought a secondhand 8x10 Alton greenhouse
and now must go and dismantle and collect it from the seller.

Well I've now transported the greenhouse from Sussex to Suffolk and
thought I'd post one or two tips to help others undertaking a similar
project:

It's always good to get useful feedback.

--

Jeff

Alton Greenhouse - leaking roof vent Tractorboy United Kingdom 3 21-08-2011 05:58 PM
Alton greenhouse Gonelurching Gardening 0 21-01-2011 03:46 PM
Alton Towers Baal United Kingdom 0 18-04-2009 11:26 PM
dismantling greenhouse what to do with it? Janet Tweedy United Kingdom 69 20-09-2008 02:25 AM
Dismantling old greenhouse. Where to start? JBB United Kingdom 7 03-06-2004 02:05 AM