Old 08-05-2011, 09:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Soooo much junk in a garden

Sacha wrote:

Love it - Ancient Spice, perhaps! ;-)

(Boot seventies nostalgia chip...) Not even Brut soap on a rope?

Old 08-05-2011, 09:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2011-05-08 21:27:32 +0100, "Les Hemmings" said:

Sacha wrote:

Love it - Ancient Spice, perhaps! ;-)

(Boot seventies nostalgia chip...) Not even Brut soap on a rope?

Well, not for me, thanks. And I'd be astonished if my husband
abandoned his Imperial Leather! ;-) Oh dear, what a terrible scent
that Brut was - to me, at least. But sad, our 'Enery has gone!

.... and Barry Sheene! (Oh Bugger i'm feeling old!)

Old 09-05-2011, 10:37 AM
Registered User

How I wish that even a tiny percentage of the bottles here were whole. Most of the stuff is just shards. We do not go delving into our soil anywhere without gloves on, it is just too dangerous.
Oddest things we found were 5 cobblers lasts, all broken (the lasts, silly, not the cobblers). One perhaps, but FIVE? My grandfather was an Army boot maker and he was stationed around here in WW1 so we wondered if there was a facility somewhere in the vicinity.
Saddest thing of all is that the hand made Tudor age bricks which came from the original house and which were re-used in the foundations of the Georgian houses are 90% broken. They are very expensive to buy if you are doing restoration work.
And back to the bottles. The most frequently found, still whole bottles are those tiny odd shaped Vosene Hair shampoo ones. Hard to smash up I suppose.
Old 09-05-2011, 10:40 AM
Registered User

PS. Time team addition. We did find an odd shaped stone, which is identical too the one described on that programme as the pivot stone for the door of a roundhouse.
Old 09-05-2011, 01:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[color=blue][i]
On 2011-05-08 10:03:06 +0100, Owdboggy
said:

Christina Websell;920328 Wrote:
"Mark Baigent" wrote in message

Hi all

I popped in a while ago for advice re clearing a section of garden,
about
90sq yards.

I have been stunned how much rubbish came out of a mound of mud....

Our garden is a little bigger than that, say about 3/4 of an acre. We
worked it out that we have removed over 30 tons of assorted rubbish
from the land over the last 15 years. AND we are still finding stuff.
For instance today I found a mole hill, on top of the soil was part of a
toy gun, some broken glass and a Shipham's Salmon paste jar.
Keep up the work and be sure to keep taking pictures of your progress.
We did not have a camera when we began and regret it a lot that we have
no real record of what we did.

In a former garden a very little digging found an old rubbish tip when
the whole area was owned by one farmer. I acquired some very
attractive old bottles that way - mainly medical for animals and
humans, though probably applied to both!

On out plot (formerly play area/space for yob-parties) we have found
lots of glass,plastic bottles, some broken pottery (including a tea
pot lid handle) - some pretty designs, a hallmarked spoon and about
£1.25

On a neighbouring plot someone found an intact full bottle of beer!
--
http://www.bra-and-pants.com
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk

Old 12-05-2011, 11:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote in message
...[color=blue][i]

On 2011-05-08 10:03:06 +0100, Owdboggy
said:

[...]

I cleared 20 56kg bags of broken glass from the end of my garden which I
call my "wood"

We have found plenty of glass in one area of our lottie, which we are using
for the first time this year. We've nicknamed it "The Midden" because of
the amount of rubbish we are getting out of it. We mentioned this to our
neighbour, who told us that in the *seven* years he was next to the previous
plot holder, the area was only used for dumping non-burnable rubbish!
There should be a law saying when you give up a plot, you take your grot
with you.

--
Kathy

Old 12-05-2011, 06:05 PM
Registered User

We were talking with the local Water engineer one day, as his Mother used to live in our Cottage and he was interested to see the Pear tree which she had planted as a child. He said "I levelled this garden for the previous owners."
We said afterwards that if that was his idea of level then we would not want him to make a lawn for us. Later we realised that he meant that he had come in with a bulldozer and spread the remains of the other three houses out across the land.
When we we making one bed we found an area like the ones mentioned, full of broken glass etc.. I dug down along side it, and realised that as I got deeper and deeper the glass in it got older and older. In the end when I had gone down over 4 feet I gave up and just removed the top yard or so and covered the rest with top soil.
Fun though is it not waiting to see what else one turns up?
Old 19-05-2011, 10:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"mogga" wrote in message
...[color=blue][i]

On 2011-05-08 10:03:06 +0100, Owdboggy
said:

[...]

When we first moved into our present house, at the bottom of the garden was
a HUGE heap of ash, eventually when I started to try to clear it I found
that underneath were hundreds of glass bottles, I have no idea who put them
there or why!

Alan