Old 09-05-2011, 11:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default Please ID my Tomatoes!

I have some tomato plants that are doing exceptionally well. The seeds came
from the Hampshire Potato Day.

Every year I have trouble with labels being lost or forgotten or just total
mislabelling. So this year I made an extra special effort and labelled as
soon as planted with proper printed labels.

The really good tomatoes are labelled "Nicholovana".

Google says nu-uh. Not a sausage. Or a tomato.

Can anyone suggest in what way I've mislabelled my tomatoes this year
(Perhaps Mr Nicholovana supplied the seeds!), and suggestions for what they
possibly /should/ be labelled as.

(All I can say is that they appaer to be potato-leaved variety. Hopefully
I'll be able to comment on the fruit later in the year!)

Old 09-05-2011, 11:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Every year I have trouble with labels being lost or forgotten or just total
mislabelling. So this year I made an extra special effort and labelled as
soon as planted with proper printed labels.

The really good tomatoes are labelled "Nicholovana".

I couldn't find that name in the Seed Saver's Exchange online yearbook
either.
If they're potato leaved, they're probably not a hybrid, so keep them a few
feet (at least) away from other tomatoes and save some seeds! (Warning-it's
addictive).

Old 10-05-2011, 07:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Vicky wrote

I have some tomato plants that are doing exceptionally well. The seeds
came
from the Hampshire Potato Day.

Every year I have trouble with labels being lost or forgotten or just
total
mislabelling. So this year I made an extra special effort and labelled as
soon as planted with proper printed labels.

The really good tomatoes are labelled "Nicholovana".

Google says nu-uh. Not a sausage. Or a tomato.

Can anyone suggest in what way I've mislabelled my tomatoes this year
(Perhaps Mr Nicholovana supplied the seeds!), and suggestions for what
they
possibly /should/ be labelled as.

(All I can say is that they appaer to be potato-leaved variety. Hopefully
I'll be able to comment on the fruit later in the year!)

Probably a "heritage" variety without a proper name or the original name
lost in time and now called after the chap/family that grew them or similar.
From the name maybe an Eastern European seed.
Let us know how they do and how they taste idc.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 10-05-2011, 10:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Gary Woods wrote:
Every year I have trouble with labels being lost or forgotten or just total
mislabelling. So this year I made an extra special effort and labelled as
soon as planted with proper printed labels.

The really good tomatoes are labelled "Nicholovana".

I couldn't find that name in the Seed Saver's Exchange online yearbook
either.
If they're potato leaved, they're probably not a hybrid, so keep them a few
feet (at least) away from other tomatoes and save some seeds! (Warning-it's
addictive).

Not much chance of keeping anything separate in our rather overpacked space!
But I did notice it's a typo - it's nicholcovana, with an extra C. Still
doesn't help, nothing showing up. :-(
Old 10-05-2011, 01:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote:

Probably a "heritage" variety without a proper name or the original name
lost in time and now called after the chap/family that grew them or similar.

Good possibility- I have a "George O'Brien" tomato, named for its source (I
got it from a friend of a friend). Oxheart type; texture like a paste
tomato, but quite a bit bigger. Nice for sauce.

Old 10-05-2011, 02:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Sacha wrote:
Not much chance of keeping anything separate in our rather overpacked space!
But I did notice it's a typo - it's nicholcovana, with an extra C. Still
doesn't help, nothing showing up. :-(

This is a bit weird but there's someone in Hampshire breeding Cocker
Spaniels with the kennel name Covana. Their name isn't Nichols but it
made me wonder if someone called Nichols in a house called Covana
supplied your tomato seeds! If so only the person who sold them to you
will be able to tell you.

It was on the seed swap table, so very possibly someone's name. Annoying,
though. :-)

I'll keep an eye on it and see how it goes.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 9, 11:09*pm, wrote:
I have some tomato plants that are doing exceptionally well. *The seeds came
from the Hampshire Potato Day.

Every year I have trouble with labels being lost or forgotten or just total
mislabelling. *So this year I made an extra special effort and labelled as
soon as planted with proper printed labels.

The really good tomatoes are labelled "Nicholovana".

Google says nu-uh. *Not a sausage. *Or a tomato.

Can anyone suggest in what way I've mislabelled my tomatoes this year
(Perhaps Mr Nicholovana supplied the seeds!), and suggestions for what they
possibly /should/ be labelled as.

(All I can say is that they appaer to be potato-leaved variety. *Hopefully
*I'll be able to comment on the fruit later in the year!)

--

All tomatoes are related to potatoes.
There are thousands of varieties, no one can tell you what you've

I get lots of "volunteers" from the compost heap. They all come to
nothing, best pulled up.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

harry wrote:
(All I can say is that they appaer to be potato-leaved variety. ?Hopefully
?I'll be able to comment on the fruit later in the year!)

All tomatoes are related to potatoes.

Yes, but only some of them are 'potato-leaved' varieties. They're the ones
that have leaves that are more similar to the leaves of potatoes. There's a
hint in the name.

There are thousands of varieties, no one can tell you what you've
got. Maybe even be some funny cross.

You seem to have taken the post in a different way to how it was intended.
I am not suggesting "this is the shape of the leaf, please tell me the name
of the tomato". I was /hoping/ that someone would be able to spot a typo in
the name and/or know of a tomato with a similar name which it may have been
mixed up with.

I get lots of "volunteers" from the compost heap. They all come to
nothing, best pulled up.

I have 3 in a pot in the greenhouse which are the best-growing tomatoes of
the season so far. Mine will not be getting pulled up. They may or may not
"come to nothing". I find part of the fun of growing to be experimenting
with what I may come up with.

However, the tomato variety I am trying to ID came from a deliberately
selected packet (of slightly unknown source) and were hand sown and
deliberately raised.

Old 10-05-2011, 11:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Vicky wrote

harry wrote:
(All I can say is that they appear to be potato-leaved variety.
[...]

We used to grow a potato leafed variety and very good it was too until
everything started to get blight every year and we decided to restrict our
growing to resistant varieties.
It's surprising how different the leaves are to a normal modern tomato. Do
you know if they are large or small fruit and what colour?

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 11-05-2011, 12:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Bob Hobden wrote:
We used to grow a potato leafed variety and very good it was too until
everything started to get blight every year and we decided to restrict our
growing to resistant varieties.

I did my first potato-leave variety last year and it worked remarkably well.
I have a few pages of notes somewhere but I can't recall the name off hand.
But iirc, it gave very regular fruit of very regular size and average (not
poor but nothing to write home about) flavour. A bit like a tasty version
of a moneymaker (which I've never been impressed with)

It's surprising how different the leaves are to a normal modern tomato. Do
you know if they are large or small fruit and what colour?

Not yet. I'll let you know. :-) I think I have 10 atm, so that'll be 2 in
each greenhouse and the rest to school for Garden Buddies or to sell at
summer fete. I should get at least 1 fruit!

Old 11-05-2011, 04:43 PM
Registered User

Location: Bedfordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Name View Post
I have some tomato plants that are doing exceptionally well. The seeds came
from the Hampshire Potato Day.

Every year I have trouble with labels being lost or forgotten or just total
mislabelling. So this year I made an extra special effort and labelled as
soon as planted with proper printed labels.

The really good tomatoes are labelled "Nicholovana".

Google says nu-uh. Not a sausage. Or a tomato.

Can anyone suggest in what way I've mislabelled my tomatoes this year
(Perhaps Mr Nicholovana supplied the seeds!), and suggestions for what they
possibly /should/ be labelled as.

(All I can say is that they appaer to be potato-leaved variety. Hopefully
I'll be able to comment on the fruit later in the year!)

--
Probably a red herring, but there is a D Nicholovana involved in the development of the purple tomato, (he's co-author of a paper on them)