Old 15-05-2011, 09:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Anyone willing to donate some turf?

snip
Also the formal bits (T&C, privacy)
are a bit too formally worded for a "private" site.

/snip

Forgot to say, the T&C and Privacy pages where cut&pasted from a default
template as you have to have them as part of Google's Adsense agreement.

Andy

Old 16-05-2011, 09:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2011-05-15 23:39:37 +0100, Martin said:

On Sun, 15 May 2011 18:09:33 +0100, Janet wrote:

In article ,
says...

Hi all,

I think that I've missed the boat
regards sowing a new lawn from seed and to
be honest, I would prefer to lay turf.... but.... being currently
unemployed
means that I don't have the funds to buy turf.

Grass must be greening up nicely at this time of year.

http://www.mygardenproject.co.uk/data.php

According to your website you've already spent over £3,000 on materials
for the garden and you have a list of further items you would like other
people to donate, each item specified with its cost, furniture, lights
and
parasol etc; the "donations" request list amounts to close to a further
£2000. Making a total of £4,871.04.

The good news is that being unemployed, you have plenty of time to rake
stones and prepare your very tiny lawn, and hand water it after seeding.
So go forth, and cast your seed upon the ground.

Tinme he joined Delft Freecycle, where in the last few weeks there
have been requests for

- complete furnishings for an empty flat PLUS clothes and trainers
sizes provided.
- a working laptop
- a kettle BBQ

All this strikes me as the most incredible cheek except in cases of real
*need*, as opposed merely to "I want".
--
Sacha
South Devon

We are now in an 'I want' culture

Mike

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Old 16-05-2011, 11:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2011-05-15 23:39:37 +0100, Martin said:

On Sun, 15 May 2011 18:09:33 +0100, Janet wrote:

In article ,
says...

Grass must be greening up nicely at this time of year.

http://www.mygardenproject.co.uk/data.php

Tinme he joined Delft Freecycle, where in the last few weeks there
have been requests for

- complete furnishings for an empty flat PLUS clothes and trainers
sizes provided.
- a working laptop
- a kettle BBQ

I've seen requests for cars and boats.

All this strikes me as the most incredible cheek except in cases of real
*need*, as opposed merely to "I want".

I was hit by a car at the weekend so my bike's back wheel was trashed. I
asked not for a bike, but for a wheel/rim/scrapper bike to fix mine with.
I had an offer the same day of most of a hybrid so I'll have all the
parts I need to do my repairs.

That was the first time I ever posted a wanted but I've also received
quite a bit of stuff over the years and given quite a lot away.

Warwick
Old 16-05-2011, 05:50 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacha[_4_] View Post

All this strikes me as the most incredible cheek except in cases of
real *need*, as opposed merely to "I want".
The purpose of freecycle is to keep stuff out of landfill. It is quite conceivable that someone has a working laptop they no longer use because they've bought themselves a newer model, or their kettle bbq has languished unused in the garage for the last 5 years, and someone asking for one can be the incentive to have a bit of a clear out.

So although I agree it seems rather grasping, strictly speaking I suppose there's no reason why they shouldn't ask.
__________________
Old 16-05-2011, 05:54 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kay View Post
The purpose of freecycle is to keep stuff out of landfill. It is quite conceivable that someone has a working laptop they no longer use because they've bought themselves a newer model, or their kettle bbq has languished unused in the garage for the last 5 years, and someone asking for one can be the incentive to have a bit of a clear out.

So although I agree it seems rather grasping, strictly speaking I suppose there's no reason why they shouldn't ask.
And there was a working laptop on offer on our local freecycle only a couple of weeks ago.

What annoyed me was the person who wanted an old cupboard from us, rang to check the size in inches cos mm were beyond them, rang back to confirm it would fit in their estate car .... then didn't turn up as arranged because the cupboard was too small - couldn't they have checked that at the same time they were checking it fitted their car?

I keep a freecycle blacklist ;-)
__________________

Old 16-05-2011, 05:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/05/2011 13:18, Martin wrote:
On Mon, 16 May 2011 12:17:48 +0100, JakeNospam@invalid wrote:

On Mon, 16 May 2011 10:58:06 +0200, wrote:

Delft Freecycle is seen as an online begging bowl. I emailed the woman
who asked for a kettle BBQ asking if she would like it with steaks,
burgers sausages and salad. I think she posted it as a joke. She asked
me how I felt about the person asking for a working laptop. I said
that that one had left me speechless.
OTOH Sheffield Freecycle seems to have far more offers than
requesters. Giving stuff away seems to be a full time occupation for
some members.

The Bridgend group here is very active. I Freecycle anything that I no
longer need but which is in usable condition. It can sometimes be fun
reading (and often decoding text speak which, unfortunately, I didn't
study at school as it hadn't been invented then) reponses to an offer
but at other times there's genuine hardship involved. I remember
offering an old lounge suite in "dark blue". One reply asked me what
colour dark blue it was. Another said simply "ill hft".

It's surprising what gets offered and accepted - recently we've had
"three cans of dog food", "a few empty roses tins" and "a lot of mud",
the last after someone dug a hole for a garden pond!

Some "wants" are equally silly I suppose. I see today that someone
wants a "3seater red and cream leather sofa in very good conditin no
marks or rips on it."

That's just the sort of thing on offer in Sheffield.

Having got rid of some stuff on recycle I have gone quite off it. The
people have, a number of times up are driving expensive cars, those are
the ones that do not even say "Thank you" I wish there was a way of
filtering the applicants!
Old 16-05-2011, 06:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jake" Nospam@invalid wrote in message

This just doesn't look right to me. This site was not designed by an
amateur. I for one would like to know the relationship between "Andy"
and "Creative Design". If, as" Andy" says in another post, he's only
got a few quid in donations, he's either an unemployed web designer
(and if he's designed this site he shouldn't be unemployed) or he's
got enough cash to pay someone to design the site or he's got some
really good friends. It's gotta be one of three.

Sorry but I think this is a commercial con trick.

Does this mean you won't be donating some turf?
Shame on you ;-)

Old 16-05-2011, 06:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Andy" wrote in message

"Janet" wrote in message
[...]

Janet

Hi Janet,

There's a lot of things to buy in order to finish the project 100% but I'm
not holding my breath on those donations... but you never know.

I do have the time but not the money, which is very frustrating as I'm
only about £300 away from finishing the first phase (P1: Building, P2:
Planting, P3: Furnishing). I just need to get the lawn sorted, skip away
the excess soil then gravel the area between the decking and the
beds/patio.

And you seem to want other people to pay for it. Good luck with that.

Old 16-05-2011, 06:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Jake" Nospam@invalid wrote in message

This just doesn't look right to me. This site was not designed by an
amateur. I for one would like to know the relationship between "Andy"
and "Creative Design". If, as" Andy" says in another post, he's only
got a few quid in donations, he's either an unemployed web designer
(and if he's designed this site he shouldn't be unemployed) or he's
got enough cash to pay someone to design the site or he's got some
really good friends. It's gotta be one of three.

Sorry but I think this is a commercial con trick.

Does this mean you won't be donating some turf?
Shame on you ;-)

OK. I will donate a packet of 10, but can I have the picture 'faggie' back
please?

Old 17-05-2011, 12:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2011-05-16 11:27:14 +0100, Warwick

On 2011-05-15 23:39:37 +0100, Martin said:

[...]

Exactly. That sounds to me as if it's in the original spirit of the
whole thing. I think finding a part to fix an existing piece of
machinery is one thing, asking for things right from scratch, with
details of what's acceptable - or not - really isn't, imo. That's just
trying to get something for nothing & trading on others' generosity.

Yup. My request specified that I didn't care if it was rusting or a bit
wonky... I'm willing and able to remedy that. I was even willing to
rebuild a rim onto my hub.

As it turns out, someone very generously gave me 80% of a hybrid bike. It
had been used for spares, but between mine and his, I have an entire road
bike with some bits left over. Sod's law of course dictated that the back
wheel was rusting and lots of time will be spent with wire wool. The
front rim is fine though so I may build that on to my own back hub.

Going to get it was very definitely in the spirit of Freecycle. I managed
to scavenge the bits needed to get my old mountain bike roadworthy,
hooked on the bike trailer I got from freecycle and rode the twelve miles
there. A bit of work with bungee cords and a spanner was followed by the
12 mile ride back.

I am of course slightly knackered as a mountain bike is not anything like
ideal for long road trips... it is a real mountain bike and not one of
those things that look like them that Halfords sells for £99. The top
gear gets you to about 10mph and the tyres are fantastic for gripping in
mud and slow you down something chronic on tarmac.

Add in to that that towing a trailer is... odd.

Must stop waffling.

Warwick

Old 17-05-2011, 12:35 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Yeah, 'spose. But otoh, if I have an old brown armchair to get rid of, I'd prefer someone asking for an armchair says 'green' in their ask and saves me the bother of emailing them to offer.
__________________
Old 18-05-2011, 02:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Andy" wrote in message
Hi all,

I think that I've missed the boat regards sowing a new lawn from seed and
to be honest, I would prefer to lay turf.... but.... being currently
unemployed means that I don't have the funds to buy turf.

Get the full picture at www.mygardenproject.co.uk/lawn.php

Have a great day

Andy

Hi,

Having read the comments and feedback in this newsgroup, it has become
apparent to me that some people take umbrage that I'm asking for donations
as it implies that I'm asking for something without giving anything in
return, which isn't the case.

So, with this in mind I have changed the wording to 'Sponsor' which reflects
the request more accurately.

To sum up, visitors are invited to 'Sponsor' an item and in return their
name/company and their website are promoted and linked to from the site and
they (and a guest) will be invited to the barbecue party once the project is
finished.

Andy

www.mygardenproject.co.uk