Old 30-05-2011, 09:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Runner beans?

I have planted about 20 runner beans and a whole three have come up!(:-(

Alan

Old 30-05-2011, 09:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"alan.holmes" wrote in message

I have planted about 20 runner beans and a whole three have come up!(:-(

Alan

Have 'only' three come up, or have more come up and been got at by slugs and
snails? That's what happened to ours!!

Mike

Remember, a statue has never been erected to a critic.

Old 30-05-2011, 10:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

alan.holmes wrote:
I have planted about 20 runner beans and a whole three have come up!(:-(

Slugged off, or just not germinated? Still time for them to come up?
Had much rain?
Old 31-05-2011, 01:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"alan.holmes" wrote in news:VMSEp.19878
:

I have planted about 20 runner beans and a whole three have come up!(:-(

Alan

Runner beans IME are the most stubborn of things, but they usually appear.
Some within days and others in weeks, but they do show.
I do mine indoors now in 3"pots then plant out. Hassle I know but it takes
the uncertaincy out of it all.
Its not too late to try, they will catch up.
I always soak beans and peas overnight prior to sowing and am convinced it
helps germination.

Best wishes with it all and fingers crossed you will have 20 bean plants
crawling up your canes (if you know what I mean)

Baz
Old 31-05-2011, 01:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 31 May 2011 12:05:34 GMT, Baz wrote:

"alan.holmes" wrote in news:VMSEp.19878
:

I have planted about 20 runner beans and a whole three have come up!(:-(

Alan

Runner beans IME are the most stubborn of things, but they usually appear.
Some within days and others in weeks, but they do show.
I do mine indoors now in 3"pots then plant out. Hassle I know but it takes
the uncertaincy out of it all.
Its not too late to try, they will catch up.
I always soak beans and peas overnight prior to sowing and am convinced it
helps germination.

Best wishes with it all and fingers crossed you will have 20 bean plants
crawling up your canes (if you know what I mean)

Baz

Hey Baz. I never soaked runner bean seeds before sowing as I've read
in loads of places that this encourages halo blight later on. What's
your experience of that problem? Have you proved the so called
eggspurts wrong?

Up at the allotment, there have been a few moaning about poor bean
germination - seems one of the group went somewhere and bought a mass
of seeds and shared them out. Sounds like a duff batch of seeds. My
mate started too late to join this group so got his own and they're
looking fine.

Cheers
Jake

Old 31-05-2011, 04:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jake Nospam@invalid wrote in
:

[...]

I have not had a bad crop. Ever. Lucky? might be, but luck has never been
my companion.

Up at the allotment, there have been a few moaning about poor bean
germination - seems one of the group went somewhere and bought a mass
of seeds and shared them out. Sounds like a duff batch of seeds. My
mate started too late to join this group so got his own and they're
looking fine.

Cheers
Jake

I really do think it is a matter of time. If it bothers you just keep
poking the seeds in or start some indoors. You will not be without either
way.

Baz
Old 31-05-2011, 04:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30 May 2011 21:30:04 GMT, wrote:

alan.holmes wrote:
I have planted about 20 runner beans and a whole three have come up!(:-(

Slugged off, or just not germinated? Still time for them to come up?
Had much rain?

I started mine off in the unheated greenhouse. Three of mine also came through
quite quickly - but the rest took ages; I have no idea why - much longer than
normal. They were Thomson & Morgan Red Rum.
Old 31-05-2011, 04:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Judith wrote in
:

alan.holmes wrote:
I have planted about 20 runner beans and a whole three have come
up!(:-(

Slugged off, or just not germinated? Still time for them to come up?
Had much rain?

I started mine off in the unheated greenhouse. Three of mine also
came through quite quickly - but the rest took ages; I have no idea
why - much longer than normal. They were Thomson & Morgan Red Rum.

Red Rum started a bit slow but was a winner twice.

Baz
Old 31-05-2011, 07:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

alan.holmes wrote:
I have planted about 20 runner beans and a whole three have come
up!(:-(

Slugged off, or just not germinated? *Still time for them to come up?
Had much rain?

I started mine off in the unheated greenhouse. *Three of mine also
came through quite quickly - but the rest took ages; I have no idea
why - much longer than normal. *They were Thomson & Morgan Red Rum.

Red Rum started a bit slow but was a winner twice.

Baz

With things like Peas, Beans and hard seed like Sweet peas etc I soak
the sees, starting in hand hot water and leting it cool, the heat
expands the air inside the seed coat and as the water cools water is
drawn in, that wat I get around 90%+ taking in water, The beans I
started in pots and the peas were sown into the ground as more rain
was forecast, they should be up in another 2 or 3 days, the beans were
planted out just when the strong winds started, but looking at them
today they are just starting to climb, the sweet peas were late, (as
were the ordinary peas) so are just comming through, well one lot
started through 4 days ago and Snoopy are only starting in the last 24
hours, all treated the same and sown at the same time.
I'd sow more beans in pots and use them to Gap up / grow on a bit
later to extend your picking season.
Old 31-05-2011, 07:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 31/05/2011 17:47, Judith wrote:
On 30 May 2011 21:30:04 wrote:

wrote:
I have planted about 20 runner beans and a whole three have come up!(:-(

Slugged off, or just not germinated? Still time for them to come up?
Had much rain?

I started mine off in the unheated greenhouse. Three of mine also came through
quite quickly - but the rest took ages; I have no idea why - much longer than
normal. They were Thomson& Morgan Red Rum.

I've had problems too this year for the first time ever. The beans are
are always ones harvested from the previous years crop. Normally the
germination rate is around 95 - 100% but this year is only around 80%
with the seeds set directly in the ground. The drought has likely
something to do with this despite watering the ground periodically.

The haricot beans have been a disaster, something has eaten most of them
- the stems were chewed off just above ground level, no sign of the tops
of the plants. The likely culprit are pigeons who often hang around and
steal my brassica seedlings too. Oddly they've never bothered the runner
bean seedlings.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.

Old 31-05-2011, 09:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Judith wrote:
Slugged off, or just not germinated? Still time for them to come up?
Had much rain?

I started mine off in the unheated greenhouse. Three of mine also came through
quite quickly - but the rest took ages; I have no idea why - much longer than
normal. They were Thomson & Morgan Red Rum.

I've just checked on mine, and all of the dwarf beans are doing fine, but no
runner beans (from 4 varieties!) have come through yet. Only had 1 good day
of rain so far, so maybe they just need some more soaking.
Old 31-05-2011, 09:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

The haricot beans have been a disaster, something has eaten most of them
- the stems were chewed off just above ground level, no sign of the tops
of the plants. The likely culprit are pigeons who often hang around and
steal my brassica seedlings too. Oddly they've never bothered the runner
bean seedlings.

That sounds like mice to me, they take the tops away and stash them, I
have had them do that to seed trays of plants, and have found the tops
between the boxes, I've known then striip 6 seed trays in a night
Old 31-05-2011, 10:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
alan.holmes wrote:
I have planted about 20 runner beans and a whole three have come up!(:-(

Slugged off, or just not germinated? Still time for them to come up?
Had much rain?

I don't think it is slugs, but of course I cannot be absolutely certain,
rain about average.

I'll just have to let my patience come to the surface!

Alan

Old 31-05-2011, 10:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 31/05/2011 22:44, Dave Hill wrote:
The haricot beans have been a disaster, something has eaten most of them
- the stems were chewed off just above ground level, no sign of the tops
of the plants. The likely culprit are pigeons who often hang around and
steal my brassica seedlings too. Oddly they've never bothered the runner
bean seedlings.

That sounds like mice to me, they take the tops away and stash them, I
have had them do that to seed trays of plants, and have found the tops
between the boxes, I've known then striip 6 seed trays in a night

Mice are a distinct possibility. The lawn next to the vegetable garden
was overrun with them last year, lots of small holes in the ground. A
veritable plague. A feral cat has taken up residence in one of the
outbuildings where it has had four kittens. We've just left it to its
own devices. It seems to be finding enough food for its young. Four
kittens which are growing rapidly. No doubt they'll soon be out there
helping to keep the mouse population down too. We made a deliberate
choice not to "own" them and leave them as wild animals; much as we
leave the sparrows to nest in the eaves of the house and other wild
animals to take up residence here and there. Even the nest of hornets
last year wasn't the hazard urban legend would have us believe. Granted
they looked menacing when they warned us off for getting too close to
their nest but other than that we've cohabited with them without problem.

Old 07-06-2011, 10:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"alan.holmes" wrote in message

I have planted about 20 runner beans and a whole three have come up!(:-(

Alan

I'm pleased to say about another ten have come up!

Alan

Runner beans, wot beans ?? AriesVal[_11_] United Kingdom 17 18-07-2011 11:38 AM
Is a runner bean a runner bean lloyd United Kingdom 9 28-09-2009 10:12 PM
Runner Beans mark United Kingdom 27 01-05-2009 10:37 PM
Runner Beans - No Beans ! Mike United Kingdom 10 02-09-2004 04:17 PM
Runner Beans, lots of flowers but no beans X United Kingdom 6 19-06-2003 09:32 AM