Old 07-06-2011, 08:36 AM
may may is offline
Registered User

Default sad

over the last few years i have collected quite a few clematis , but i have decided to dig them up, it really greives me to have to do this , but my garden is not pleasing me any more , every year the clematis grows really lush , with lots of really big buds and just when they are ready to bust into bloom those nasty little brown and cream snails eat the stems and the whole lot dies, at first i thought it was clematis wilt, but over the years i have found out it is those snails that are doing the damage, and it does not help that i am having trouble with a low growing heart shaped weed that is taking over my garden, and those snails are hiding in the leaves of that weed , and i just cannot seem to get rid of that weed so the garden is full of those nasty little snails that eat my clematis , after the clematis dies back they look so messy all over the garden with dead buds all over them,

i have had enough of it and i am soo sad about it
Old 07-06-2011, 09:25 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by may View Post
[...]

What are you doing in the way of pruning the clematis? It's the new growth the snails like, and although they can climb, most damage is within a couple of feet of ground level. I find that if I can get my clematis above about 3 ft high (if necessary by growing them in a pot in the greenhouse away from snails) then they are OK. It's a matter of making sure they have dry woody stems up to about 3ft, so, obviously, never pruning them lower than that.
__________________
Old 07-06-2011, 10:47 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Its everywhere

In message , may
writes

not sure if its a weed but its driving me CRAZY, its a low growing
heartshaped leaf with a very small purple flower in early spring.

and it has taken over ALL OF MY GARDEN, it grows through all of my
rockery plants and even tries to climb up my low growing
roderdenrons, it has taken over my pot plants and everyspace it can ,
i have lived in the same house for 34 years and i have never had this
problem before .

i am having to dig up my rockery plants just to try and get rid of it

its got the stage where i am thinking ok you win

Viola riviniana (dog violet)?
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 07-06-2011, 11:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"kay" wrote in message

may;925871 Wrote:
[...]

Use a liquid slug killer in a spray on a dry evening, spray up the plant as
well as on the ground around it , you will only have to do it once.

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 07-06-2011, 01:20 PM
may may is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kay View Post
What are you doing in the way of pruning the clematis? It's the new growth the snails like, and although they can climb, most damage is within a couple of feet of ground level. I find that if I can get my clematis above about 3 ft high (if necessary by growing them in a pot in the greenhouse away from snails) then they are OK. It's a matter of making sure they have dry woody stems up to about 3ft, so, obviously, never pruning them lower than that.

these clematis have been in the ground for about 3 or 4 years and they were getting quite big, one was all over an obolisk about 6 feet tall, and another was growing through a roderdendron about 7 foot tall , and the others were all about 4 feet tall .
i have noticed that the snails only seem to go for the big flower type.

The ones that are early flowering like the montana they seem to stay away from ,and the ones that have to be pruned alot with a smaller leaf and flower they dont seem to go for those either, but its the big saucer flower ones that they always go for .

Old 07-06-2011, 03:03 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by may View Post
these clematis have been in the ground for about 3 or 4 years and they were getting quite big, one was all over an obolisk about 6 feet tall, and another was growing through a roderdendron about 7 foot tall , and the others were all about 4 feet tall .
i have noticed that the snails only seem to go for the big flower type.

The ones that are early flowering like the montana they seem to stay away from ,and the ones that have to be pruned alot with a smaller leaf and flower they dont seem to go for those either, but its the big saucer flower ones that they always go for .
Ah, right. I grow only the small flowered ones - the alpinas and some of the later flowering ones - and I have to make sure their new growth is well above ground level. Looks like you'll either have to tackle the snails (which has a lot of downsides) or abandon the large flowered clematis.
__________________
Old 07-06-2011, 05:07 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacha[_4_] View Post
Sounds like Campanula. I love it but can see that it's possible to
have too much of a good thing! We have it growing all up the trunk of
a tree fern and it looks lovely!
-
No, it's the violet - see the other thread.

Hadn't thought of Campanula (the one with the very long name and the slightly opn bells did you mean?) - mainly because I have difficult with campanulas because of slugs, so can't imagine any becoming a weed! Ad, thinking about it, May wouldn't be having trouble with a campanula either, bearing in mind her snail problem!
__________________
Old 07-06-2011, 05:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
may wrote:

not sure if its a weed but its driving me CRAZY, its a low growing
heartshaped leaf with a very small purple flower in early spring.

and it has taken over ALL OF MY GARDEN, it grows through all of my
rockery plants and even tries to climb up my low growing
roderdenrons, it has taken over my pot plants and everyspace it can ,
i have lived in the same house for 34 years and i have never had this
problem before .

It's not ground ivy, Glechoma hederacea, is it? See, for example:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glechoma_hederacea
http://www.invasive.org/browse/subinfo.cfm?sub=3026

If so, it's a common wild plant, and is fairly easy to remove by
pulling, but murder to get stop from taking over. It has a
fairly strong smell when the leaves are crushed.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 7 Jun 2011 06:04:50 -0700 (PDT), Dave Hill

On 2011-06-07 08:23:14 +0100, may said:

not sure *if its a weed *but its driving me CRAZY, *its a *low growing
heartshaped leaf with a *very small *purple flower in early spring.

and it has taken over ALL OF MY GARDEN, it grows through all of my
rockery *plants and * even tries to *climb up *my low growing
roderdenrons, it has taken over my pot plants and * everyspace it can ,
i have lived in the *same house for 34 years and i *have never had this
problem before .

i am having to *dig up my *rockery plants just to try and get rid of it

its got the *stage where i am thinking * * * * * * ok you win

Sounds like Campanula. *I love it but can see that it's possible to
have too much of a good thing! *We have it growing all up the trunk of
a tree fern and it looks lovely!
--
Sachawww.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon- Hide quoted text -

WHY do we have 2 different topics going on in this thread?

No mention of slugs on clematis with Agent, not until Jake mentioned
it.

Pam in Bristol
Old 07-06-2011, 08:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2011-06-07 08:23:14 +0100, may said:

[...]

I'm using Agent 6 and access the group through BT and Giganews. Not
sure which server picked up the cross-link but I think it originated
at Garden Banter this time. Not all servers will have the problem -
depends how they get their feeds but clearly Andyw is also seeing the
effects. Still, not to worry. It'll sort itself out soon enough and
there's nowt anyone can do in the meantime.

Jake

Old 08-06-2011, 12:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
On Tue, 7 Jun 2011 12:20:59 +0000, may
wrote:

kay;925876 Wrote:
[...]

Scatter some slug pellets around them. The new ones based on ferric
phosphate are very effective and harmless to other wildlife. Kills
snails as well as slugs. Available in all good garden centres and DIY
stores. See

http://www.organiccatalog.com/catalo...oducts_id=1821

--

Chris

Gardening in West Cornwall overlooking the sea.
Mild, but very exposed to salt gales

Seconded, very very impressed with these here, thought they were a lot more
expensive but they actually do a better job with far less pellets so are
lasting longer. But I still use the liquid killer for climbers that are
being targeted by snails

Old 08-06-2011, 05:14 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hogg View Post

Scatter some slug pellets around them. The new ones based on ferric
phosphate are very effective and harmless to other wildlife.
The pellets themselves are harmless. What about the dying slugs (between ingesting the pellets and showing symptoms)?

I'm very nervous about using anything because of the number of frogs we have.
__________________
Old 09-06-2011, 01:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"kay" wrote in message

Chris Hogg;925928 Wrote:

Scatter some slug pellets around them. The new ones based on ferric
phosphate are very effective and harmless to other wildlife.

The pellets themselves are harmless. What about the dying slugs (between
ingesting the pellets and showing symptoms)?

I'm very nervous about using anything because of the number of frogs we
have.

--
kay

Kay the new Iron phosphate pellets are completely harmless to anything that
eats the pellets or the snails and slugs that have eaten them.
They also don't work in the same way as normal traditional pellets, once the
snail or slug has eaten a pellet they lose appetite and crawl off back to
bed under a stone somewhere, there they remain, they are not poisoned they
just never eat again.

The only issue you have to take care of is timing, I always start using
before the birds start nest building so that they don't chose nest sites
which are going to suffer a dip in food supply once they have committed to
raising a family. I have been delighted to see 4 pairs of thrushes nesting
here this year along with the normal blackbirds etc, that's double our
previous best year and at the same time my one clump of Hostas have no holes
in the leaves.

Old 09-06-2011, 06:33 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Pridham[_2_] View Post
Kay the new Iron phosphate pellets are completely harmless to anything that
eats the pellets or the snails and slugs that have eaten them.
They also don't work in the same way as normal traditional pellets, once the
snail or slug has eaten a pellet they lose appetite and crawl off back to
bed under a stone somewhere, there they remain, they are not poisoned they
just never eat again.
Thanks for that, Charlie. I may try them.I'm fairly used to working around the slugs now, but there are the odd occasions when it'd be nice to protect something.
__________________
Old 09-06-2011, 07:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2011-06-07 08:23:14 +0100, may said:

[...]

And it's not raining here at the other end of Swansea Bay either.

We had a load yesterday :-(

Bill

Sad day for us Greg Bickal fans, but wish him well in his endeavor. ~ jan JJsPond.us Ponds 0 01-02-2004 11:14 PM
I feel old and sad. J Roos Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 20-04-2003 06:09 AM
another sad Troll to my BSL Sue & Bob Hobden United Kingdom 1 24-03-2003 05:56 PM
Sad News. [email protected] Ponds 0 03-03-2003 11:54 PM
Pieris Forest Flame looking sad Mon United Kingdom 2 20-02-2003 07:16 PM