Old 21-07-2011, 12:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default sweet woodruff

On 2011-07-20, wrote:

In article ,
Mike Lyle wrote:
On Wed, 20 Jul 2011 12:27:50 +0100, Adam Funk
wrote:

ISTR you can't get Zubrowka in the USA because the FDA bans coumarin,
but according to Wikipedia sweet woodruff is allowed in alcoholic
beverages (but not in food).

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikiped..._and_cosmetics

Yes: I believe they've been working on a version acceptable to the US
authorities, but I don't know how successfully. I'd have thought the
alcohol posed a vastly greater health risk than the grass, but the FDA
are probably right to be conservative.

They most probably aren't! The toxicity is such that there is no
significant danger from any realistic intake, according to that
reference. If you avoid all such compounds, you would have to give
up almost all spices and herbs, and more.

Nutmeg, for example.

And then there's the background behind the ban on absinthe in the
early C.20.

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikiped...i/Jean_Lanfray
Old 21-07-2011, 12:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Adam Funk wrote:

[...]

Yes. I haven't checked up properly, but my impression is that
the coumarin in woodruff is much less dangerous than those - say,
comparable to the toxins in chillis, thyme, ordinary pepper or
non-cassia cinnamon.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 21-07-2011, 05:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2011-07-21, wrote:

Adam Funk wrote:

They most probably aren't! The toxicity is such that there is no
significant danger from any realistic intake, according to that
reference. If you avoid all such compounds, you would have to give
up almost all spices and herbs, and more.

Nutmeg, for example.

And then there's the background behind the ban on absinthe in the
early C.20.

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikiped...i/Jean_Lanfray

Yes. I haven't checked up properly, but my impression is that
the coumarin in woodruff is much less dangerous than those - say,
comparable to the toxins in chillis, thyme, ordinary pepper or
non-cassia cinnamon.

Oh man, everything's going to kill us. The Daily Mail was right!
Old 21-07-2011, 06:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

On Thu, 21 Jul 2011 17:08:17 +0100, Adam Funk

On 2011-07-21, wrote:

Adam Funk wrote:

They most probably aren't! The toxicity is such that there is no
significant danger from any realistic intake, according to that
reference. If you avoid all such compounds, you would have to give
up almost all spices and herbs, and more.

Nutmeg, for example.

And then there's the background behind the ban on absinthe in the
early C.20.

https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikiped...i/Jean_Lanfray

Yes. I haven't checked up properly, but my impression is that
the coumarin in woodruff is much less dangerous than those - say,
comparable to the toxins in chillis, thyme, ordinary pepper or
non-cassia cinnamon.

Oh man, everything's going to kill us. The Daily Mail was right!

They were also right a month later when they announced that x was a
miracle cure. And also a month after that, that x was a
newly-discovered carcinogen. What they never report is the dangerous
toxicity of the Daily Mail. Strange, that.

--
Mike.
Old 21-07-2011, 06:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Default How to improve our bathroom

On 21 Jul 2011 09:43:51 GMT, wrote:

jaytechmagnate wrote:
I am Jay Kumar and i am new user. I want to improve our bathroom .
please suggest me which types of flower to include in my bathroom for
nice looking .

Hello Jay. My bathroom is full of orchids and ferns.

No orchids in mine (nice idea, though...rattles moneybox hopefully),
but ferns and a big Spathyphyllum (known to some as "Peace Lily").
African violets may be a bit too tricky for a beginner. If your
bathroom's heated, then Dieffenbachia will do nicely, as it likes a
moist atmosphe no flowers, but pretty leaves. Irritant sap, though.

Have a look at Hessayon's _House Plant Expert_ for suggestions:
library, or probably quite cheap to buy. His books are very good for
beginners.

--
Mike.

Old 22-07-2011, 09:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
jaytechmagnate wrote:
I am Jay Kumar and i am new user. I want to improve our bathroom .
please suggest me which types of flower to include in my bathroom for
nice looking .

Hello Jay. My bathroom is full of orchids and ferns.

Very kind of Fern to let you have them :-)

Bill

Old 22-07-2011, 06:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

On Fri, 22 Jul 2011 09:30:24 +0100, "Bill Grey"
wrote:

wrote in message
jaytechmagnate wrote:
I am Jay Kumar and i am new user. I want to improve our bathroom .
please suggest me which types of flower to include in my bathroom for
nice looking .

Hello Jay. My bathroom is full of orchids and ferns.

Very kind of Fern to let you have them :-)

"I say, I say, I say! My dustbin's full of lilies!"

expectant pause

--
Mike.

Sweet Woodruff Indigo United Kingdom 7 22-07-2013 05:06 PM
PHOTO OF THE WEEK, Sweet Woodruff Jack Schmidling[_1_] Gardening 3 09-06-2007 09:04 PM
Sweet Woodruff Phisherman Gardening 12 20-03-2005 12:15 AM
Preen and Mazus or Sweet Woodruff Meg Gardening 0 27-03-2004 04:12 AM
Sweet Woodruff Smeckler United Kingdom 29 29-05-2003 02:20 PM