Old 21-08-2011, 10:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Curly beans

Could anyone please tell me why some of my french beans are growing
curly?
Old 21-08-2011, 12:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 21, 6:36*am, Baz wrote:
Rikki wrote in news:2590adbd-9b01-4777-
:

Could anyone please tell me why some of my french beans are growing
curly?

Do you mean curly or just curved or bent?

Half or more of mine are curved, some like a horseshoe. I don't know the
reason but in the 3 years I have grown them they have been like it. They
all taste the same.

I watched something on iplayer recently about carbon footprinting and
French beans grown in Kenya. They reject anything that is not straight
because Asda, who they supply to, demand all French beans are straight. The
consumer obviously demands this too. Why? No idea. What a waste.

Baz

I don't mind what shape my beans, carrots, parsnips etc are, they do
all taste the same. Most of my beans are normal, but I have had a few
that are literally curly. I just wondered if there was anything that
could be the cause.
Old 21-08-2011, 02:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Rikki wrote:
Could anyone please tell me why some of my french beans are growing
curly?

I've always thought it was when they hit an obstruction when they grow.
This year I tried getting them straighter by growing them up poles, then
when they get to the top, putting a cross-pole between tops of uprights and
twining them around horizontally, so the fruit grows downwards.
Unfortunately my cro pis so late so far, I can't report back on success or
not!!
Old 21-08-2011, 02:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Rikki wrote:
I don't mind what shape my beans, carrots, parsnips etc are, they do
all taste the same. Most of my beans are normal, but I have had a few
that are literally curly. I just wondered if there was anything that
could be the cause.

I've found 'wrong shape' carrots are less appealing cos they're harder to
clean, as they have more bits to get soil caught in. Beans that are curly
are ok as long as they don't have 'fault' bits in them, which need cutting
out. If you have them all straight, you can just line them up to top and
tail all in one go!

Old 21-08-2011, 02:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 21 Aug 2011 02:07:54 -0700 (PDT), Rikki
wrote:

Could anyone please tell me why some of my french beans are growing
curly?

The wrong kind of rain?

Steve

Old 21-08-2011, 03:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in
:

Rikki wrote:
I don't mind what shape my beans, carrots, parsnips etc are, they do
all taste the same. Most of my beans are normal, but I have had a few
that are literally curly. I just wondered if there was anything that
could be the cause.

I've found 'wrong shape' carrots are less appealing cos they're harder
to clean, as they have more bits to get soil caught in. Beans that
are curly are ok as long as they don't have 'fault' bits in them,
which need cutting out. If you have them all straight, you can just
line them up to top and tail all in one go!

I still do not know 'curly', does this mean that they go through 360
degrees, in spirals? Or simply curved. I know what the dictionary says, but
very very often, to posters here the dictionary is a bit of a relic.

Baz
Old 21-08-2011, 04:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rikki" wrote ...

Could anyone please tell me why some of my french beans are growing
curly?

Normally because they have touched something, got caught up in the foliage
or similar. Show growers have their canes at quite an angle to stop this
happening, so the developing beans hang down into the air and are straight.

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup
from the W.of London. UK

Old 21-08-2011, 08:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 21, 10:19*am, Baz wrote:
wrote :

Rikki wrote:
I don't mind what shape my beans, carrots, parsnips etc are, they do
all taste the same. Most of my beans are normal, but I have had a few
that are literally curly. I just wondered if there was anything that
could be the cause.

I've found 'wrong shape' carrots are less appealing cos they're harder
to clean, as they have more bits to get soil caught in. *Beans that
are curly are ok as long as they don't have 'fault' bits in them,
which need cutting out. *If you have them all straight, you can just
line them up to top and tail all in one go!

I still do not know 'curly', does this mean that they go through 360
degrees, in spirals? Or simply curved. I know what the dictionary says, but
very very often, to posters here the dictionary is a bit of a relic.

Baz

Yes, some of them are spirals. On the same plants I have normal and
some curly ones. I just don't know what causes it
Old 21-08-2011, 09:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Baz wrote:
I still do not know 'curly', does this mean that they go through 360
degrees, in spirals? Or simply curved. I know what the dictionary says, but
very very often, to posters here the dictionary is a bit of a relic.

I have a mental image of what he means, which may or may not be right. A
photo would obviously help. I've had them do more than 180 degrees before
now, which I would count as moderately curly.

Old 22-08-2011, 09:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rikki" wrote in message
Could anyone please tell me why some of my french beans are growing
curly?

Because you have been feeding them crusts.?

Sorry

Wally

Old 22-08-2011, 02:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in
:

"Rikki" wrote ...

Could anyone please tell me why some of my french beans are growing
curly?

Normally because they have touched something, got caught up in the
foliage or similar. Show growers have their canes at quite an angle to
stop this happening, so the developing beans hang down into the air
and are straight.

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup
from the W.of London. UK

This has to be the right answer.

Thanks, Bob

Baz
Old 22-08-2011, 03:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Aug 22, 9:37*am, Baz wrote:
"Bob Hobden" wrote :

"Rikki" *wrote *...

Could anyone please tell me why some of my french beans are growing
curly?

Normally because they have touched something, got caught up in the
foliage or similar. Show growers have their canes at quite an angle to
stop this happening, so the developing beans hang down into the air
and are straight.

-- Regards
Bob Hobden
Posting to this Newsgroup
from the W.of London. UK

This has to be the right answer.

Thanks, Bob

Baz- Hide quoted text -

Yes, thanks Bob

potting curly willow DM Texas 0 24-05-2005 06:55 AM
Curly parsley has turned yellow. Davemar United Kingdom 1 02-07-2004 08:09 AM
Curly ghost orchids Geir Harris Hedemark Orchids 2 06-10-2003 02:32 AM
Curly hoses Janet Baraclough United Kingdom 6 07-08-2003 03:33 AM
curly kale: recepies ne1? Derek Turner United Kingdom 6 12-12-2002 10:44 PM