Old 08-09-2011, 02:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OT OT Google chrome

In message , Stephen
Wolstenholme writes
On Thu, 8 Sep 2011 11:43:03 +0100, chris French
wrote:

In message , Jake
writes
On Wed, 7 Sep 2011 22:44:16 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Dave Hill" wrote...

Has anyone tried Google Chrome browser?
Is it worth using instead of Internet Explorer or Firefox?

I have both IE and GC on my PC and have done for some months. Whilst I
always used to use IE I find I use GC all the time now.

Likewise. GC is much faster that IE9, particularly when displaying
photos.

People make various claims for this or that browser being faster. I swap
around amongst various browsers I can't say I really notice any great
difference in general use

Chrome is faster than other browsers because it uses more cache. It's
not unusual to cache in excess of a gigabyte. With current PCs that's
not a problem.

I'm sure I'm able to change the amount of cache in most of the browsers
I use if I want to.

But I suspect there is a lot more to it than that. a lot of the focus is
on the speed of Javascript execution as so many websites/services rely
on that nowadays
--
Chris French

Old 08-09-2011, 03:35 PM
Registered User

Location: Bedfordshire

Quote:

Has anyone tried Google Chrome browser?
Is it worth using instead of Internet Explorer or Firefox?
Don't use Google Chrome unless you're happy for it to report back to Google all your browsing habbits, it builds up a profile so that it can tailor adverts etc to plague you with instead use SRWare Iron which is the same software without the google bits. SRWare Iron - The Browser of the Future
Old 08-09-2011, 03:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sep 8, 12:32*pm, Jake Nospam@invalid wrote:
On Thu, 8 Sep 2011 01:52:22 -0700 (PDT), harry
wrote:

On Sep 7, 10:16*pm, Dave Hill wrote:
Has anyone tried Google Chrome browser?
Is it worth using instead of Internet Explorer or Firefox?

Where is the Edit feature on GC? I can't find it.

Click the spanner. About 3 or 4 items down the menu.

Cheers
Jake
Gardening at the dry end (east) of Swansea Bay
in between reading anything by JRR Tolkien.

www.rivendell.org.uk

Right, thanks. Got it. :-)
Old 08-09-2011, 05:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 8 Sep 2011 14:35:47 +0000, Granity
wrote:

Has anyone tried Google Chrome browser?
Is it worth using instead of Internet Explorer or Firefox?

Don't use Google Chrome unless you're happy for it to report back to
Google all your browsing habbits, it builds up a profile so that it can
tailor adverts etc to plague you with instead use SRWare Iron which is
the same software without the google bits. 'SRWare Iron - The Browser
of the Future' (http://tinyurl.com/4qlm5r)

With a few minutes' work you can disable just about everything. See
http://www.google.com/chrome/intl/en/privacy.html. the only
advertising I see in Chrome is when a site embeds something and, in
fact, Chrome stops more of that than IE does - in Chrome I regularly
see empty boxes where IE displays ads. I do not use Google as my
search engine so that may make some difference.

Cheers
Jake
Gardening at the less wet end of Swansea Bay
but moved on from Tolkien; now half way through
the complete Harry Potter.

www.rivendell.org.uk
Old 08-09-2011, 06:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Has anyone tried Google Chrome browser?
Is it worth using instead of Internet Explorer or Firefox?

Don't use Google Chrome unless you're happy for it to report back to
Google all your browsing habbits, it builds up a profile so that it can
tailor adverts etc to plague you with instead use SRWare Iron which is
the same software without the google bits. 'SRWare Iron - The Browser
of the Future' (http://tinyurl.com/4qlm5r)

The report back is optional and SFAIK it defaults to no.

I have it enabled because I use the developer path versions - that's
currently 14.0.835.2 m

No adverts either.

Steve

--
Neural network software applications, help and support.

Neural Network Software. www.npsl1.com
EasyNN-plus. Neural Networks plus. www.easynn.com
SwingNN. Forecast with Neural Networks. www.swingnn.com
JustNN. Just Neural Networks. www.justnn.com

Old 08-09-2011, 09:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Wed, 7 Sep 2011 14:16:10 -0700 (PDT), Dave Hill
wrote:

Has anyone tried Google Chrome browser?
Is it worth using instead of Internet Explorer or Firefox?

I've been using it for about 6 months. I think it is better than both.
--

Really? In what way? When I had new computer a while ago I did not
reinstall it.

Tina

Old 08-09-2011, 11:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Thu, 8 Sep 2011 21:21:30 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

Has anyone tried Google Chrome browser?
Is it worth using instead of Internet Explorer or Firefox?

I've been using it for about 6 months. I think it is better than both.
--

Really? In what way?

Read the rest of the thread for the answers to your question.
--

It does not change my mind, I was perfectly happy to let it go.

Old 09-09-2011, 10:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Has anyone tried Google Chrome browser?
Is it worth using instead of Internet Explorer or Firefox?

I've been using it for about 6 months. I think it is better than both.

+1

I use FF. What are the advantages of GC?

Smaller memory footprint is probably one. I get the feeling it's the
path of least resistance when you're using google services.
Old 09-09-2011, 04:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 07 Sep 2011 22:16:10 +0100, Dave Hill
wrote:

Has anyone tried Google Chrome browser?
Is it worth using instead of Internet Explorer or Firefox?

Give Opera a try...
It is very safe and standards-compliant.
It has built-in pop-up blockers.
And it's not just a browser. It has a built-in email client and newsgroup
client.

www.opera.com/download