Old 07-09-2011, 10:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default OT OT Google chrome

Has anyone tried Google Chrome browser?
Is it worth using instead of Internet Explorer or Firefox?
Old 07-09-2011, 10:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote...

Has anyone tried Google Chrome browser?
Is it worth using instead of Internet Explorer or Firefox?

I have both IE and GC on my PC and have done for some months. Whilst I
always used to use IE I find I use GC all the time now.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 07-09-2011, 10:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 07/09/2011 23:27, Martin wrote:
On Wed, 7 Sep 2011 14:16:10 -0700 (PDT), Dave Hill
wrote:

Has anyone tried Google Chrome browser?
Is it worth using instead of Internet Explorer or Firefox?

I've been using it for about 6 months. I think it is better than both.

Can you get add-ons to block all adverts and selectively block scripts
too as with Firefox? They are the main reasons I use Firefox - the web
is a different place without all the adverts and malware trying to grab
your computer. Internet Explorer is rubbish and a security death trap.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 07/09/2011 22:16, Dave Hill wrote:
Has anyone tried Google Chrome browser?
Is it worth using instead of Internet Explorer or Firefox?

It is sometimes worthwhile for visiting sites that do not work with IE8.
Seems fast and stable from my limited use of it. Try it and see.

I have run into a few corporate sites recently that will only work with
IE9 or something that emulates IE9 behaviour.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 08-09-2011, 07:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 7 Sep 2011, David in Normandy wrote:

Has anyone tried Google Chrome browser?
Is it worth using instead of Internet Explorer or Firefox?

I've been using it for about 6 months. I think it is better than both.

Can you get add-ons to block all adverts and selectively block scripts
too as with Firefox? They are the main reasons I use Firefox - the web
is a different place without all the adverts and malware trying to grab
your computer. Internet Explorer is rubbish and a security death trap.

However PC Pitstop, a well-known critic of Microsoft, reports that IE is
actually the safest browser.

I can't see much difference between them. I'd use FF more except that it
takes a long time to load. And all the other browsers, apart from IE,
are based on Firefox.

David

--
David Rance
writing from Le Mesnil Villement, Calvados, France

Old 08-09-2011, 07:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Has anyone tried Google Chrome browser?
Is it worth using instead of Internet Explorer or Firefox?

I've been using it for about 6 months. I think it is better than both.

I use FF. What are the advantages of GC?

It's faster than FF although FF4 closes the gap.

I have Chrome but mostly use FF. Once in a while I fire up Opera too,
which works fine. Mostly to make sure our web site worked for "all"
browsers.

But the addons for FF certainly make it the browser of choice.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 08/09/2011 08:45, David Rance wrote:
On Wed, 7 Sep 2011, David in Normandy wrote:

Has anyone tried Google Chrome browser?
Is it worth using instead of Internet Explorer or Firefox?

I've been using it for about 6 months. I think it is better than both.

Can you get add-ons to block all adverts and selectively block scripts
too as with Firefox? They are the main reasons I use Firefox - the web
is a different place without all the adverts and malware trying to
grab your computer. Internet Explorer is rubbish and a security death
trap.

However PC Pitstop, a well-known critic of Microsoft, reports that IE is
actually the safest browser.

I can't see much difference between them. I'd use FF more except that it
takes a long time to load. And all the other browsers, apart from IE,
are based on Firefox.

David

I'm stuck with dial-up here; so blocking adverts is a must for me, they
typically take more bandwidth than the pages I'm viewing. The only time
I picked up a virus was from a fully patch version of IE which Microsoft
were too slow to fix a known security hole with and I got hit with a
"drive-by" attack. Never had a virus with Firefox.

On the rare occasions I use IE now it is much slower than Firefox -
simply due to all the advert graphics on many websites that it insists
on downloading via my feeble dial-up.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sep 7, 10:16*pm, Dave Hill wrote:
Has anyone tried Google Chrome browser?
Is it worth using instead of Internet Explorer or Firefox?

Where is the Edit feature on GC? I can't find it.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 7 Sep 2011 22:44:16 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Dave Hill" wrote...

Has anyone tried Google Chrome browser?
Is it worth using instead of Internet Explorer or Firefox?

I have both IE and GC on my PC and have done for some months. Whilst I
always used to use IE I find I use GC all the time now.

Likewise. GC is much faster that IE9, particularly when displaying
photos. I've also noticed I get a lot of little red X-boxes in IE
where GC will display the photo. Only use IE now for sites that won't
display properly in GC.

Cheers
Jake
Gardening at the dry end (east) of Swansea Bay
in between reading anything by JRR Tolkien.

www.rivendell.org.uk
Old 08-09-2011, 11:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Has anyone tried Google Chrome browser?

I've been using it for years.

Is it worth using instead of Internet Explorer or Firefox?

In my opinion it is better than both. Chrome is very simple to use and
very fast.

Steve

--
Neural network software applications, help and support.

Neural Network Software. www.npsl1.com
EasyNN-plus. Neural Networks plus. www.easynn.com
SwingNN. Forecast with Neural Networks. www.swingnn.com
JustNN. Just Neural Networks. www.justnn.com

Old 08-09-2011, 11:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , David Rance
writes
On Wed, 7 Sep 2011, David in Normandy wrote:

Has anyone tried Google Chrome browser?
Is it worth using instead of Internet Explorer or Firefox?

I've been using it for about 6 months. I think it is better than both.

Can you get add-ons to block all adverts and selectively block scripts
too as with Firefox? They are the main reasons I use Firefox - the web
is a different place without all the adverts and malware trying to
grab your computer. Internet Explorer is rubbish and a security death
trap.

However PC Pitstop, a well-known critic of Microsoft, reports that IE
is actually the safest browser.

IE certainly used to be pretty dire, but the latest versions seem pretty
good. both in the way they work and in the security aspects.

I can't see much difference between them.

Indeed, quite literally in fact as they even all look pretty similar
nowadays. Choice is really down to fairly small difference nowadays. If
someone likes lots of addons, or a particular facility provided by them
then they might like FF/ I've a soft spot for OIpera as I've been using
it on and off for about 13 years, but I stopped for ages when they
didn't have a built in spellchecker.

I'd use FF more except that it takes a long time to load. And all the
other browsers, apart from IE, are based on Firefox.

Nah.

Opera is totally different, ditto Safari. Chrome is based on the Webkit
rendering engine (as well as Safari and others) Opera uses it's own
rendering engine (Presto IIRC)
--
Chris French

Old 08-09-2011, 11:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Jake
writes
On Wed, 7 Sep 2011 22:44:16 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Dave Hill" wrote...

Has anyone tried Google Chrome browser?
Is it worth using instead of Internet Explorer or Firefox?

I have both IE and GC on my PC and have done for some months. Whilst I
always used to use IE I find I use GC all the time now.

Likewise. GC is much faster that IE9, particularly when displaying
photos.

People make various claims for this or that browser being faster. I swap
around amongst various browsers I can't say I really notice any great
difference in general use

I've used Chrome, it's fine but it was never compelling enough to haveme
changing from FF/Opera
--
Chris French

Old 08-09-2011, 12:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 8 Sep 2011 01:52:22 -0700 (PDT), harry
wrote:

On Sep 7, 10:16*pm, Dave Hill wrote:
Has anyone tried Google Chrome browser?
Is it worth using instead of Internet Explorer or Firefox?

Where is the Edit feature on GC? I can't find it.

Click the spanner. About 3 or 4 items down the menu.

Old 08-09-2011, 12:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 8 Sep 2011 11:43:03 +0100, chris French
wrote:

In message , Jake
writes
On Wed, 7 Sep 2011 22:44:16 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Dave Hill" wrote...

Has anyone tried Google Chrome browser?
Is it worth using instead of Internet Explorer or Firefox?

I have both IE and GC on my PC and have done for some months. Whilst I
always used to use IE I find I use GC all the time now.

Likewise. GC is much faster that IE9, particularly when displaying
photos.

People make various claims for this or that browser being faster. I swap
around amongst various browsers I can't say I really notice any great
difference in general use

Chrome is faster than other browsers because it uses more cache. It's
not unusual to cache in excess of a gigabyte. With current PCs that's
not a problem.

Steve

Old 08-09-2011, 01:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Martin
writes
On Thu, 8 Sep 2011 11:43:03 +0100, chris French
wrote:

In message , Jake
writes
On Wed, 7 Sep 2011 22:44:16 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Dave Hill" wrote...

Has anyone tried Google Chrome browser?
Is it worth using instead of Internet Explorer or Firefox?

I have both IE and GC on my PC and have done for some months. Whilst I
always used to use IE I find I use GC all the time now.

Likewise. GC is much faster that IE9, particularly when displaying
photos.

People make various claims for this or that browser being faster. I swap
around amongst various browsers I can't say I really notice any great
difference in general use

I've used Chrome, it's fine but it was never compelling enough to haveme
changing from FF/Opera

The difference between start up times of GC and FF is obvious without
using a stop watch.

shrug since my browsers are open just about all the time, start up
times aren't really an issue for me.

But in general day to day use I can say I notice a difference. i'm not
saying that if I looked and timed things I might might find that it is
faster, but it not something I noticed
--
Chris French