Old 25-09-2011, 03:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Front Gate

"'Mike'" wrote in message

"MuddyMike" wrote in message
om...

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"Bob Hobden" wrote ...

Went out this morning to move my car before the street filled up with
commuters vehicles and my front gate was gone. It was a wrought iron one
we had had for about 25 years, most annoying. Neighbour says he saw two
men running down the road at about 11.30 last night carrying a long ally
ladder so looks like the scrap men were around last night. Before I buy
another gate, if I can get one to fit, how do others secure their gates?
This old one just hung on two hooks set in the brick post.

Turns out at least two other houses have lost their iron gates the same
night and one was secured, they thought!
Much to the amusement of the person that showed it to me there is an
article in "The Times" today about this epidemic spreading through the
country and calling for better enforcement and a change in the law with
regard to scrap metal dealers.
They get a couple of pounds for the scrap and I have to spend £50 plus a
lot of work to replace it with a cheap one.

Scrapyards paying out in cash should be banned. If scrap was paid for by
bank transfer only it would stamp out 90% of metal theft.

Mike

Whenever I have taken scrap cable or copper into a scrap yard, I have had
forms to fill in AND my vehicle registration number has been taken.

But you were probably paid in cash? No amount of form filling or number
taking will stop the pikeys stealing anything metal that's not securely
screwed down. I wonder what address they give on the form and to register
the vehicle. Lay-by 3 miles East of town!

Mike

Old 25-09-2011, 08:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

You drill a hole in the pin above the gate and either put a split pin in,
(not too secure) or a small nut and bolt or a rivet and rivet the end over

OR

you take the top pin out of the brickwork, which is more than likely a bit
complicated because of the nature of the bit built into the brickwork,
hang the gate on the bottom pin then put the top pin in upside down onto
the gate and brick this into the brickwork again. No 'just lifting the
gate off'

Mike

All very sound advice.

Bill

Old 25-09-2011, 08:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
On Sep 22, 11:22 pm, "'Mike'" wrote:
"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

Went out this morning to move my car before the street filled up with
commuters vehicles and my front gate was gone. It was a wrought iron one
we had had for about 25 years, most annoying. Neighbour says he saw two
men running down the road at about 11.30 last night carrying a long ally
ladder so looks like the scrap men were around last night.

Yes, they did an entire street's gates around here a few weeks ago.
Followed by the bronze plates from the war memorial.

[...]

But I suspect a decent go with a jemmy will just pull the pins out :-(

Chris

Think positive - the methods suggested are well tried and proved succesful

Bill

Old 25-09-2011, 11:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote .

"Bob Hobden"wrote:

[...]

and they are taking manhole covers too

They get a couple of pounds for the scrap and I have to spend £50 plus a
lot
of work to replace it with a cheap one.

Did you report it to the police and did they check CCTV images for
signs of your thieves?

It was reported via our roads Neighbourhood Watch people which is how I
found out others had suffered. I have no idea if the Police have checked on
the Dentists CCTV but they have before when a quite new Range Rover got
stolen.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 26-09-2011, 10:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 26 Sep 2011 10:38:39 +0200, Martin wrote:

On Sun, 25 Sep 2011 23:28:26 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:
snip
Did you report it to the police and did they check CCTV images for
signs of your thieves?

It was reported via our roads Neighbourhood Watch people which is how I
found out others had suffered. I have no idea if the Police have checked on
the Dentists CCTV but they have before when a quite new Range Rover got
stolen.

Do the Neighbourhood Watch people automatically inform the police?
Don't you have to do that yourself?

The point of being in the neighbourhood watch is that you notice and
report things and try to encourage other people to do the same.

--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk

Old 26-09-2011, 10:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 26 Sep 2011 11:26:31 +0200, Martin wrote:

On Mon, 26 Sep 2011 10:04:13 +0100, mogga
wrote:

On Mon, 26 Sep 2011 10:38:39 +0200, Martin wrote:

I know the point of NW.
I asked if they automatically report thefts to the police. I am almost
certain that the victim has to do that himself.

I suspect you're right. I've read recently about someone discussing
the fact police told them they couldn't report a crime (I assume one
they hadn't seen happen) ...
I think people are tw&ts for not reporting stuff as police resources
are allocated to the areas where people report crimes.

http://maps.police.uk/

The new police maps thing has been suspected of being the cause of
people stopping reporting some crimes. But anything you want your
insurance company to pay for needs reporting.

--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Old 26-09-2011, 10:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote

"Bob Hobden"wrote:
snip
Did you report it to the police and did they check CCTV images for
signs of your thieves?

It was reported via our roads Neighbourhood Watch people which is how I
found out others had suffered. I have no idea if the Police have checked
on
the Dentists CCTV but they have before when a quite new Range Rover got
stolen.

Do the Neighbourhood Watch people automatically inform the police?
Don't you have to do that yourself?

In this case he said he was going to inform his police contact so I didn't
bother as a new gate will cost less than my excess so I won't mention it to
my insurance Co.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.