Old 26-09-2011, 05:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default Running Water

I think it was Sacha who started the thread somewhere about liking being
near water, having been brought up by the coast.

I realised at lunch time today that when I walk past the 'water feature'
outside work (where you can hear running water, all be it with the smell of
chlorine!) I do get a noticable destress moment.

My dad gets incredibly jittery when he comes to visit, he can't cope with
being so far away from the coast, and it's taken me years to get used to it.
He finds the weather too hot and dry.

I think I need a duck pond.

Old 26-09-2011, 05:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Sacha wrote:
I think I need a duck pond.

It was in ukfd I think, Vicky. But yes, a pond with some moving water
is a help!

My problem is my aversion to mosquitos. Ponds are nice to look at, but not
great when you have a garden full of twilight biters. :-(

I must admit, I'm actually quite fond of the smell of chlorine. I could sit
outside with the smell of chlorinated water tinkling past me all day, apart
from it's quite close to where a lot of people come out and smoke, so if the
wind's wrong, it's not chlorine you can sniff. it's also not unheard of for
Jeremy Clarkson to be one of those people smoking in that area, and the
temptation of Jeremy and a water feature does occasionally prompt me to
actions that may not be great for my future career.
Old 26-09-2011, 05:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26 Sep 2011 16:34:31 GMT, wrote:

Sacha wrote:
I think I need a duck pond.

It was in ukfd I think, Vicky. But yes, a pond with some moving water
is a help!

My problem is my aversion to mosquitos. Ponds are nice to look at, but not
great when you have a garden full of twilight biters. :-(

I must admit, I'm actually quite fond of the smell of chlorine. I could sit
outside with the smell of chlorinated water tinkling past me all day, apart
from it's quite close to where a lot of people come out and smoke, so if the
wind's wrong, it's not chlorine you can sniff. it's also not unheard of for
Jeremy Clarkson to be one of those people smoking in that area, and the
temptation of Jeremy and a water feature does occasionally prompt me to
actions that may not be great for my future career.

If you have some way to disturb the water surface you shouldn't have
much, if any, of a mosquito problem. A small fountain will do the
trick - they don't breed (and thus don't congregate so much) around
non-still water. I certainly have no problem at all and I only turn
the fountain pump on about once a week in the summer.

Cheers, Jake
URGling from the less wet end of Swansea Bay in between
sweeping up leaves by the cubic metre!

www.rivendell.org.uk
Old 26-09-2011, 07:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sep 26, 5:34*pm, wrote:
Sacha wrote:
I think I need a duck pond.

It was in ukfd I think, Vicky. *But yes, a pond with some moving water
is a help!

My problem is my aversion to mosquitos. *Ponds are nice to look at, but not
great when you have a garden full of twilight biters. *:-(

I must admit, I'm actually quite fond of the smell of chlorine. *I could sit
outside with the smell of chlorinated water tinkling past me all day, apart
from it's quite close to where a lot of people come out and smoke, so if the
wind's wrong, it's not chlorine you can sniff. *it's also not unheard of for
Jeremy Clarkson to be one of those people smoking in that area, and the
temptation of Jeremy and a water feature does occasionally prompt me to
actions that may not be great for my future career.

A few of the right sort of fish cures mosquitos. (Eat the larvae.)
Old 26-09-2011, 10:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Vicky wrote ...

I think it was Sacha who started the thread somewhere about liking being
near water, having been brought up by the coast.

I realised at lunch time today that when I walk past the 'water feature'
outside work (where you can hear running water, all be it with the smell of
chlorine!) I do get a noticable destress moment.

My dad gets incredibly jittery when he comes to visit, he can't cope with
being so far away from the coast, and it's taken me years to get used to
it.
He finds the weather too hot and dry.

I think I need a duck pond.

A Duck Pond is always a mess, muddy filthy water, a breeding ground for all
sorts of things. A clean fish pond is what you want. Goldfish will eat the
Larvae so expensive fish are not needed. Running water puts the adults off
laying eggs and as you want running water that should certainly put paid to
any chance of getting bitten.
I would have a filter on any pond to clean the water and use a central
heating pump in a sump to move the clean water from the filter back into the
pond, giving you your waterfall. You might be able to keep Minnows if the
water stays clean and oxygenated enough.
You could also use it for a couple of Water lilies provided the flow is only
gentle, they are no good with a fountain though. There are plants for
various depths so let us know what depth you intend for your pond and I
might be able to suggest some varieties for you to check out.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 29-09-2011, 06:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote:
[...]

tiny fish of any kind will eat the mosquito lavae

running water line [email protected] Gardening 15 08-02-2005 10:26 PM
Water now running Bonnie Ponds 0 19-04-2004 01:07 PM
Method running water from creek to garden water feature lee brown Gardening 1 23-04-2003 04:32 AM