Old 29-09-2011, 05:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default sweetcorn!

I have tried to ask this question in the food and rink newsgroup, but I have
not got a sensible answer!

How long do you have to boil it for?

I have cooked hundreds of the things but the memory is not good now!

The users of that newsgroup seem to think that sweetcorn grows in tins!

Alan

Old 29-09-2011, 05:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"alan.holmes" wrote in message

I have tried to ask this question in the food and rink newsgroup, but I
have not got a sensible answer!

How long do you have to boil it for?

I have cooked hundreds of the things but the memory is not good now!

The users of that newsgroup seem to think that sweetcorn grows in tins!

Alan

They've not had the pleasure or wonderful experience of visiting the Isle of
Wight then have they?

Mike

Old 29-09-2011, 05:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"alan.holmes" wrote in
:

I have tried to ask this question in the food and rink newsgroup, but
I have not got a sensible answer!

How long do you have to boil it for?

I have cooked hundreds of the things but the memory is not good now!

The users of that newsgroup seem to think that sweetcorn grows in
tins!

Alan

Food and rink newswgroup! No wonder you got no sensible answer!

Don't they come in tins? They do at Asda!

Baz

Old 29-09-2011, 05:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote in message
"alan.holmes" wrote in
:

I have tried to ask this question in the food and rink newsgroup, but
I have not got a sensible answer!

How long do you have to boil it for?

I have cooked hundreds of the things but the memory is not good now!

The users of that newsgroup seem to think that sweetcorn grows in
tins!

Alan

Food and rink newswgroup! No wonder you got no sensible answer!

Don't they come in tins? They do at Asda!

The ones that grow in my garden do not grow in tins!(:-)

Alan

Baz

Old 29-09-2011, 06:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"alan.holmes" wrote in message

I have tried to ask this question in the food and rink newsgroup, but I
have not got a sensible answer!

How long do you have to boil it for?

I have cooked hundreds of the things but the memory is not good now!

The users of that newsgroup seem to think that sweetcorn grows in tins!

Alan

I've never boiled it. Wrap in foil with lashings of butter, then in the oven
for 15 mins or on the BBQ.
Doesn't boiling remove flavour/goodness? Maybe steam?
Pete C

Old 29-09-2011, 06:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pete C" wrote ...

"alan.holmes" wrote
I have tried to ask this question in the food and rink newsgroup, but I
have not got a sensible answer!

How long do you have to boil it for?

I have cooked hundreds of the things but the memory is not good now!

The users of that newsgroup seem to think that sweetcorn grows in tins!

I've never boiled it. Wrap in foil with lashings of butter, then in the
oven for 15 mins or on the BBQ.
Doesn't boiling remove flavour/goodness? Maybe steam?

Yes we also use the tinfoil method, but you forgot the black pepper.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 29-09-2011, 06:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
alan.holmes wrote:
"Sacha" wrote in message

You did get an answer but I don't think you saw it. Put into boiling
water for 5 minutes. Don't add salt to the water.

Thanks, no I didn't see it at all, don't know why, cos your posts seem to
have dissapeared as well, except for this one of course!

Well, I am afraid that it is misleading. Firstly, whether you
add salt or not doesn't matter much (we do). Secondly, 5 minutes
is only enough for the VERY youngest sweetcorn - I prefer much
more mature corn, which often needs 15-20 minutes. And then you
carry on until full ripeness, which can be hours :-)

The best way of doing it is to put it on a barbeque, husk and all,
but it is tricky getting it right. It can help to soak the cobs
first.

Generally, just try removing a kernel and see if (a) you can and
(b) it no longer tastes raw.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 29-09-2011, 06:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2011-09-29 17:24:04 +0100, "alan.holmes"
said:

I have tried to ask this question in the food and rink newsgroup, but I
have
not got a sensible answer!

How long do you have to boil it for?

I have cooked hundreds of the things but the memory is not good now!

The users of that newsgroup seem to think that sweetcorn grows in tins!

Alan

You did get an answer but I don't think you saw it. Put into boiling
water for 5 minutes. Don't add salt to the water.

Thanks, no I didn't see it at all, don't know why, cos your posts seem to
have dissapeared as well, except for this one of course!

Alan

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon

Old 29-09-2011, 07:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"Pete C" wrote ...

"alan.holmes" wrote
I have tried to ask this question in the food and rink newsgroup, but I
have not got a sensible answer!

How long do you have to boil it for?

I have cooked hundreds of the things but the memory is not good now!

The users of that newsgroup seem to think that sweetcorn grows in tins!

I've never boiled it. Wrap in foil with lashings of butter, then in the
oven for 15 mins or on the BBQ.
Doesn't boiling remove flavour/goodness? Maybe steam?

Yes we also use the tinfoil method, but you forgot the black pepper.
--

grovels for forgiveness
Pete C

Old 29-09-2011, 07:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2011-09-29 18:33:31 +0100, "Bob Hobden" said:

"Pete C" wrote ...

"alan.holmes" wrote
I have tried to ask this question in the food and rink newsgroup, but I
have not got a sensible answer!

How long do you have to boil it for?

I have cooked hundreds of the things but the memory is not good now!

The users of that newsgroup seem to think that sweetcorn grows in tins!

I've never boiled it. Wrap in foil with lashings of butter, then in the
oven for 15 mins or on the BBQ.
Doesn't boiling remove flavour/goodness? Maybe steam?

Yes we also use the tinfoil method, but you forgot the black pepper.

Whatever method you suggest, *please* give Alan precise instructions as to
how to use it. This is why he's moved his question here.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Good point....oven 170C.....barbie....eh....suck it and see...literally
Pete C

Old 30-09-2011, 08:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha wrote:

Salt makes it tough. Don't add salt. Cooking sweetcorn when young and
fresh is the only way to go, too, so 5 mins should be about right.
Poke with sharp knife or skewer to check for tenderness. Alan is not
going to fire up a barbecue, Nick. Think about it!

Salt has no effect in my experience, and I have tried both ways.

And, no, the very immature sweetcorn favoured in this country is
NOT the only way to go - and isn't the way chosen by those in
places where it is a staple. Very immature "extra sweet" varieties
are sickly and insipid by comparison with more mature corn, which
has a nutty flavour, more texture and is more filling. Maize was,
after all, the grain staple where I lived until I was 9.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 30-09-2011, 08:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote ...

"Bob Hobden" said:

"Pete C" wrote ...

"alan.holmes" wrote
I have tried to ask this question in the food and rink newsgroup, but I
have not got a sensible answer!

How long do you have to boil it for?

I have cooked hundreds of the things but the memory is not good now!

The users of that newsgroup seem to think that sweetcorn grows in tins!

I've never boiled it. Wrap in foil with lashings of butter, then in the
oven for 15 mins or on the BBQ.
Doesn't boiling remove flavour/goodness? Maybe steam?

Yes we also use the tinfoil method, but you forgot the black pepper.

Whatever method you suggest, *please* give Alan precise instructions as to
how to use it. This is why he's moved his question here.

The boss says...
This is for previously blanched corn cobs (ie, prev frozen ones defrosted)
Butter and pepper then wrap tightly in foil twisting the ends to try to keep
in the steam/butter cook for 25 mins at 200°/ gas 6, middle of oven. Adjust
time/temp to your preference there after.
BBQ is the same but time is up to you and how hot your BBQ gets.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 30-09-2011, 11:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha wrote:

I disagree on the salt thing but that's personal preference.

That was precisely my point.

But I
think Alan just wants the easiest way to cook corn he's bought in a
shop.

Even if that is the case, the time needed can be from 5 to 20 minutes,
depending on the maturity of the sweetcorn.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 30-09-2011, 10:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2011-09-29 17:24:04 +0100, "alan.holmes"
said:

I have tried to ask this question in the food and rink newsgroup, but
I have
not got a sensible answer!

How long do you have to boil it for?

I have cooked hundreds of the things but the memory is not good now!

The users of that newsgroup seem to think that sweetcorn grows in tins!

Alan

You did get an answer but I don't think you saw it. Put into boiling
water for 5 minutes. Don't add salt to the water.

That's exactly what I do, Sacha, and it's perfect. I once had to
politely eat it overcooked and *very* starchy ... ugh! :~(

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London