Old 02-10-2011, 01:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OTish - Good nature camera recommendations?

"Jake" Nospam@invalid wrote in message
On Sat, 1 Oct 2011 12:39:50 +0100, "Bill Grey"
wrote:

Hi Jake, there are so many very good cameras on the market today that it
would be difficult to decide the best for your purpose. I use Canon
equipment - DSLR for my "main" photography, but on the occasions when
some
real close-up is required, I find my Canon G11 superb and more convenient.
using the sivel-back to view the subject really helps. So much more
conveneint than my DSLR.

Bill

Thanks Bill. In the past I've had various Canon Ixus models and an
early Powershot and they were all good for what I wanted at the time.
The G11 has presumably been overtaken by the G12 which looks good and
Paul's post about a minute after yours links to some examples of
photos taken with the G12 and which seem to meet what I'm looking for.

I think I'll pay a visit to Jessops and see what they recommend (if
different) before finally making up my mind.

Cheers, Jake

Perhaps shoppong around will come up with a better price , eg Amazon quote a
good price.

Bill
URGling from the less wet end of Swansea Bay in between
sweeping up leaves by the cubic metre!

Old 02-10-2011, 05:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 2 Oct 2011 13:59:44 +0100, "Bill Grey"
wrote:

"Jake" Nospam@invalid wrote in message
.. .

I think I'll pay a visit to Jessops and see what they recommend (if
different) before finally making up my mind.

Perhaps shoppong around will come up with a better price , eg Amazon quote a
good price.

Bill

Quite right. Jessops online was the cheapest I'd found the G12 but
Amazon clearly beats that. A chat in the shop won't hurt though. I
doubt I'll buy one there and I don't think they could complain if
having chatted I said I wanted to think a bit before buying, given the
price.

It's galling that a few times today I'd have (almost!) given my right
arm for a camera capable of taking some opportunist shots of little
things including a spider I've never seen before. Once you start
thinking about something you notice these opportunities more; at least
I do.

Cheers, Jake

www.rivendell.org.uk
Old 02-10-2011, 05:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Don't forget the light issues with macro photography i.e. the camera
blocking the light. A whole new ball game.....
Old 02-10-2011, 07:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 02 Oct 2011 17:56:41 +0100, stuart noble
wrote:

Don't forget the light issues with macro photography i.e. the camera
blocking the light. A whole new ball game.....

I'm confused enough as it is (and have ruined many a good photo in my
amateurish approach but letting my own shadow appear). Maybe a miner's
helmet with a bright light attached will sort this problem?

I'm beginning to wonder whether the approach should be take a wider
shot at 12MP to get high definition, crop down to the little creature
and then expand the image. But then I don't know what I'm talking
about when it comes to photography so will shut up before someone asks
if I've moved to the Isle of Wight

Cheers, Jake

Old 03-10-2011, 10:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Don't forget the light issues with macro photography i.e. the camera
blocking the light. A whole new ball game.....

I'm confused enough as it is (and have ruined many a good photo in my
amateurish approach but letting my own shadow appear). Maybe a miner's
helmet with a bright light attached will sort this problem?

I'm beginning to wonder whether the approach should be take a wider
shot at 12MP to get high definition, crop down to the little creature
and then expand the image. But then I don't know what I'm talking
about when it comes to photography so will shut up before someone asks
if I've moved to the Isle of Wight

Cheers, Jake
URGling from the less wet end of Swansea Bay in between
sweeping up leaves by the cubic metre!

www.rivendell.org.uk

The super macro setting on my camera allows the lens to almost touch the
subject but, in so doing, it obviously blocks the light. I believe
there's a ring flash that sits on the edge of the lens, and probably a
hundred and one other little gizmos, but how serious does one want to get?

Old 03-10-2011, 10:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Don't forget the light issues with macro photography i.e. the camera
blocking the light. A whole new ball game.....

I'm confused enough as it is (and have ruined many a good photo in my
amateurish approach but letting my own shadow appear). Maybe a miner's
helmet with a bright light attached will sort this problem?

I'm beginning to wonder whether the approach should be take a wider
shot at 12MP to get high definition, crop down to the little creature
and then expand the image. But then I don't know what I'm talking
about when it comes to photography so will shut up before someone asks
if I've moved to the Isle of Wight

Cheers, Jake
URGling from the less wet end of Swansea Bay in between
sweeping up leaves by the cubic metre!

www.rivendell.org.uk

The available light should not be a problem - worry not!

Bill

Old 03-10-2011, 10:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Very true, but in the context of the enquiry, over-egging the pudding
methinks.

The problems you mention will hardly cause anay concern with a compact.

Bill

ORCHARD BLOOMS CAMERA - CAMERA.jpg (1/1) Donn Thorson Garden Photos 0 05-06-2013 02:21 PM
Otish - My New Camera Jake United Kingdom 35 31-10-2011 07:39 PM
OTish snake story kathy Ponds 3 25-02-2005 03:51 PM
[OTish] I think we might 'ave an 'awk! David W.E. Roberts United Kingdom 33 18-04-2004 02:02 PM
dam beavers - funny OTish K30a Ponds 3 01-08-2003 04:04 AM