Old 27-10-2011, 07:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Otish - My New Camera

Posting to thank all those who gave advice in response to my post a
while ago about acquiring a new digital camera.

I took my time (and a lot of time of a very helpful chap in one of the
stores of a certain national chain) and ended up with a Canon
Powershot G12 (which I bought online). I thought that £342 with an
extra battery, case, SD card and mini tripod was a reasonable price so
please don't tell me I could have got it cheaper!

Now to immerse myself in the manual! I've taken a couple of photos
using all the auto settings and have managed to get a decently
detailed spider shot (spiders were what started the camera quest!)
among others. Something to keep me occupied through the winter months
and maybe I'll be able to match DaveH's plant parts shots next year.

So thanks again everyone for the advice.

Cheers, Jake
URGling from the less wet end of Swansea Bay where it's about
the same moisture-wise as the more wet end.

www.rivendell.org.uk
Old 28-10-2011, 08:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Oct 27, 11:34*pm, Martin wrote:
On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 20:49:36 +0100, Paul Corfield

wrote:
On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 19:03:52 +0100, Jake Nospam@invalid wrote:

Posting to thank all those who gave advice in response to my post a
while ago about acquiring a new digital camera.

I took my time (and a lot of time of a very helpful chap in one of the
stores of a certain national chain) and ended up with a Canon
Powershot G12 (which I bought online). I thought that 342 with an
extra battery, case, SD card and mini tripod was a reasonable price so
please don't tell me I could have got it cheaper!

Who did you buy from at that price?

A rioter?

*Looks like you've got a good
deal.

--

Martin

If money is an issue but you are interested in high quality results
you would have been far better of with a used DSLR, rather than a G12.
These cameras are just fine for anyone with limited photographic
ambitions, but the fact that you cannot change the lens, means they
are far from ideal for more serious photography.
Old 28-10-2011, 09:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
[...]

Depends whether those spiders are in your own back yard or whether
you'll be lugging loads of equipment around on your impromptu walks.
Old 28-10-2011, 10:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 19:03:52 +0100, JakeNospam@invalid wrote:

Posting to thank all those who gave advice in response to my post a
while ago about acquiring a new digital camera.

I took my time (and a lot of time of a very helpful chap in one of the
stores of a certain national chain) and ended up with a Canon
Powershot G12 (which I bought online). I thought that 342 with an
extra battery, case, SD card and mini tripod was a reasonable price so
please don't tell me I could have got it cheaper!

Who did you buy from at that price?

A rioter?

Looks like you've got a good
deal.

If money is an issue but you are interested in high quality results
you would have been far better of with a used DSLR, rather than a G12.

It would have to be a used SLR *and* a decent quality macro lens for the
sort of close-ups that he wants to do. The advantage for the SLR would
be that you can use a ring flash easily on the physically larger body.

I don't know if anyone does a LED or flash addon intended for P&S
cameras. They are available for SLRs for a range of prices.

eg http://www.srb-griturn.com/led-macro...ght-1710-p.asp

These cameras are just fine for anyone with limited photographic
ambitions, but the fact that you cannot change the lens, means they
are far from ideal for more serious photography.

Depends whether those spiders are in your own back yard or whether
you'll be lugging loads of equipment around on your impromptu walks.

Sometimes it is more important to have a small camera with you and get
the shot than have a bag full of gear in the car. I use a slim Ixus
100IS as my always with me camera - it replaces an ageing IxusV.

The only thing where P&S really falls down is on shutter lag compared to
the hair trigger and repetition rate of a full DSLR.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 28-10-2011, 10:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

These cameras are just fine for anyone with limited photographic
ambitions, but the fact that you cannot change the lens, means they
are far from ideal for more serious photography.

Depends whether those spiders are in your own back yard or whether
you'll be lugging loads of equipment around on your impromptu walks.

Sometimes it is more important to have a small camera with you and get
the shot than have a bag full of gear in the car. I use a slim Ixus
100IS as my always with me camera - it replaces an ageing IxusV.

The only thing where P&S really falls down is on shutter lag compared to
the hair trigger and repetition rate of a full DSLR.

I'm still on 3.2 megapixels for the always with camera. Never really
felt the need, or seen it as a civic duty, to upgrade :-)

Old 28-10-2011, 10:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"stuart noble" wrote in message

These cameras are just fine for anyone with limited photographic
ambitions, but the fact that you cannot change the lens, means they
are far from ideal for more serious photography.

Depends whether those spiders are in your own back yard or whether
you'll be lugging loads of equipment around on your impromptu walks.

Sometimes it is more important to have a small camera with you and get
the shot than have a bag full of gear in the car. I use a slim Ixus
100IS as my always with me camera - it replaces an ageing IxusV.

The only thing where P&S really falls down is on shutter lag compared to
the hair trigger and repetition rate of a full DSLR.

I'm still on 3.2 megapixels for the always with camera. Never really felt
the need, or seen it as a civic duty, to upgrade :-)

I have a Fuji 6 Megs which slips into my shirt pocket when we are cruising.
Got it in the first instance when we went on a World Cruise and it has
served us well on subsequent cruises. When we cruised to the Arctic, my wife
used this one.

For more detailed and professional use I have a Samsung GX10 which I use for
photo shoots. I use this one for all the Theatre shots, especially if they
are going into the local press. I had one in last week's paper and another
one this week. It's a bit bulky though and if I take a lens change, battery
and spare card, then I need a shoulder bag. This is the one I now take
cruising. Have to be careful where we go ashore though, some places are
'iffy' so I leave that one back on board.

Mike

Old 28-10-2011, 11:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jake" Nospam@invalid wrote in message
[...]

Well done - great choice (here speaks a dedicated Canon - man :-) )

You will find the swivel viewfinder screen invaluable for extreme
close-ups - set the camera mode on macro (usually the icon is a little
plant)

Work your way round the camera, and I suggest using Aperture priority(A/V)
to start with.

Good luck and please report back.

Bill

Old 28-10-2011, 11:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
[...]

Rubbish.

Jake never said he was interested in "Serious Photography", anyway the
Canon G sereis are particularly fine cameras.

As for "anyone with limited photographic ambitions" - you do realise that
these cameras are very sophisticated with excellent lenses.

I have a Canon 5D Mkll DSLR and a G11. I prefer the G11 for any macro plat
shots I take.

That puts your arguement in perstective.

Bill

Old 28-10-2011, 12:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , 'Mike'
writes
I have a Fuji 6 Megs which slips into my shirt pocket when we are cruising

I guess I'm probably the only one that got a very unpleasant image from
that sentence...

--
regards andyw
Old 28-10-2011, 12:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"news" wrote in message
In article , 'Mike'
writes
I have a Fuji 6 Megs which slips into my shirt pocket when we are cruising

I guess I'm probably the only one that got a very unpleasant image from
that sentence...

--
regards andyw

No doubt the regulars on this newsgroup/forum (urg/gardenbanter) will manage
to add some rubbish to this posting. They usually do take every opportunity
to have a dig ............ the gardening connection :-)) ............ at me.
Although I must say it is the urg contributors who are the normal ones to
have a go.

You just watch :-))

Mike

Old 28-10-2011, 01:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 28 Oct 2011 00:18:38 -0700 (PDT), Steerpike
wrote:

If money is an issue but you are interested in high quality results
you would have been far better of with a used DSLR, rather than a G12.
These cameras are just fine for anyone with limited photographic
ambitions, but the fact that you cannot change the lens, means they
are far from ideal for more serious photography.

I thought a lot about a second hand DSLR camera but firstly I'm not an
ambitious photographer, I simply want to be able to take some decent
shots of little critters in the garden and suchlike plus decent
holiday photos (I wanted a viewfinder for long distance stuff as I've
never been able to see the LCD screen in the sun on any camera I've
had). Every DSLR camera I saw was really too bulky. Secondly, whilst
I'm not against second hand per se, I was uncomfortable with going
"used" on technology that I wasn't familiar with. I'd never know
whether the bad shot was down to a faulty camera or my lack of
knowledge about settings. The G12 was relatively simple when demo'd in
the store.

The cat's web site is at pillie.me.uk.
Old 28-10-2011, 01:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 28 Oct 2011 09:36:58 +0100, stuart noble
wrote:

Depends whether those spiders are in your own back yard or whether
you'll be lugging loads of equipment around on your impromptu walks.

Could be anywhere. I definitely don't want bulk, just to indulge an
interest rather than serious photography.

Old 28-10-2011, 01:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 28 Oct 2011 10:03:31 +0100, Martin Brown
wrote:

I don't know if anyone does a LED or flash addon intended for P&S
cameras. They are available for SLRs for a range of prices.

The G12 has a range of hot shoe, wired and wireless flash options plus
lens options if I want to pay for them (!).

Sometimes it is more important to have a small camera with you and get
the shot than have a bag full of gear in the car. I use a slim Ixus
100IS as my always with me camera - it replaces an ageing IxusV.

Exactly. The G12 is complicated enough though it seems (I haven't got
that far yet) that if there are particular settings that I want to use
repeatedly, I can spend the time setting up and then save that
combination to a one-button memory so I suppose I'll have the best of
both worlds.

The only thing where P&S really falls down is on shutter lag compared to
the hair trigger and repetition rate of a full DSLR.

That doesn't worry me (at least not yet!).

Old 28-10-2011, 02:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
[...]

The issue isn't money but "value for money". Having compared the Canon
with Lumix, Nikon and Fuji cameras, the Canon won it in my view (the
guy in the shop seemed to be edging me in that direction as well even
though he knew I wouldn't be buying that day). It'll suit my purpose
which is fun photography rather than "serious".

I gave up trying to follow the manual on screen so printed it out.
Close on an inch (2-sided printing). As I said, something to read
through the winter

Old 28-10-2011, 08:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
[...]

I think if you had actually seen first hand how much better the
results are that you would get from a DSLR, then I dont think its
likely you would have taken the ridiculous sales blurb of the person
who put the G12 into you seriously!

Sure get a cheap point and shot to carry with you, but for anything
very vaguely serious a DSLR is going to work a whole lot better in
pretty much every situation.