Old 14-11-2011, 10:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default decking path question again

After my original question in here a few weeks ago about what to do
about making a wooden walkway non slip I decided the best way to go
about that was to line it with chicken wire as advised. My question is
tho, my husband bought wire, but it not the normal type of chicken wire,
it's made up of inch size squares. Never seen wire like that before.
Now I'm almost sure it will do the job but not entirely sure as the wire
is unkinked if you see what I mean but chicken wire has little dents in
it.

Hope I've explained that clearly as I'm wondering if we should return it
and buy the 'proper' stuff as I really need to make this walkway safe to
walk on.

--
I'm not perfect! Are you?
Old 14-11-2011, 04:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Nov 14, 10:05*am, AriesVal wrote:
After my original question in here a few weeks ago about what to do
about making a wooden walkway non slip I decided the best way to go
about that was to line it with chicken wire as advised. *My question is
tho, my husband bought wire, but it not the normal type of chicken wire,
it's made up of inch size squares. *Never seen wire like that before.
Now I'm almost sure it will do the job but not entirely sure as the wire
is unkinked if you see what I mean but chicken wire has little dents in
it.

Hope I've explained that clearly as I'm wondering if we should return it
and buy the 'proper' stuff as I really need to make this walkway safe to
walk on.

--
I'm not perfect! Are you?

This is chicken wire.
http://www.meshdirect.co.uk/Chicken-...tting-c-2.html
Old 14-11-2011, 04:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"AriesVal" wrote in message
After my original question in here a few weeks ago about what to do about
making a wooden walkway non slip I decided the best way to go about that
was to line it with chicken wire as advised. My question is tho, my
husband bought wire, but it not the normal type of chicken wire, it's made
up of inch size squares. Never seen wire like that before. Now I'm almost
sure it will do the job but not entirely sure as the wire is unkinked if
you see what I mean but chicken wire has little dents in it.

Hope I've explained that clearly as I'm wondering if we should return it
and buy the 'proper' stuff as I really need to make this walkway safe to
walk on.

--
I'm not perfect! Are you?

I wouldn't go down the chicken wire route anyway. OK some people here like
it, but I would go the anti slip pad or paint route. Far more attractive.
However if you want a Commercial outlook OK, but is it a domestic or
commercial set up?

Mike

Old 14-11-2011, 05:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14/11/2011 16:46, 'Mike' wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Domestic but not in a decorative place - so long as it does the job it
will be fine.

--
I'm not perfect! Are you?
Old 14-11-2011, 06:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14/11/2011 16:15, harry wrote:
On Nov 14, 10:05 am, wrote:
After my original question in here a few weeks ago about what to do
about making a wooden walkway non slip I decided the best way to go
about that was to line it with chicken wire as advised. My question is
tho, my husband bought wire, but it not the normal type of chicken wire,
it's made up of inch size squares. Never seen wire like that before.
Now I'm almost sure it will do the job but not entirely sure as the wire
is unkinked if you see what I mean but chicken wire has little dents in
it.

Hope I've explained that clearly as I'm wondering if we should return it
and buy the 'proper' stuff as I really need to make this walkway safe to
walk on.

--
I'm not perfect! Are you?

This is chicken wire.
http://www.meshdirect.co.uk/Chicken-...tting-c-2.html

This is what my husband bought, but it's not chicken wire. I guess wire
netting is wire netting and so long as it does the job I want it to do
it should be OK?

http://s7g3.scene7.com/is/image/ae235/76864_A1?$p$

--
I'm not perfect! Are you?

Old 14-11-2011, 06:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14/11/2011 10:05, AriesVal wrote:
After my original question in here a few weeks ago about what to do
about making a wooden walkway non slip I decided the best way to go
about that was to line it with chicken wire as advised. My question is
tho, my husband bought wire, but it not the normal type of chicken wire,
it's made up of inch size squares. Never seen wire like that before. Now
I'm almost sure it will do the job but not entirely sure as the wire is
unkinked if you see what I mean but chicken wire has little dents in it.

Hope I've explained that clearly as I'm wondering if we should return it
and buy the 'proper' stuff as I really need to make this walkway safe to
walk on.

We use the squared wire mesh and I believe that, just like a tennis
racket, it has a rough side and a smooth side. (I would go and check,
but it's pitch black outside now). Have a look and see if you think
it's rough enough. If not, you'll need to exchange it for the 'hex'
pattern chicken wire with its extra texture.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
Old 14-11-2011, 06:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 14/11/2011 18:34, Spider wrote:
[...]

Very helpful reply, thanks so much Spider

--
I'm not perfect! Are you?
Old 14-11-2011, 09:40 PM
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AriesVal[_12_] View Post
After my original question in here a few weeks ago about what to do
about making a wooden walkway non slip I decided the best way to go
about that was to line it with chicken wire as advised. My question is
tho, my husband bought wire, but it not the normal type of chicken wire,
it's made up of inch size squares. Never seen wire like that before.
Now I'm almost sure it will do the job but not entirely sure as the wire
is unkinked if you see what I mean but chicken wire has little dents in
it.

Hope I've explained that clearly as I'm wondering if we should return it
and buy the 'proper' stuff as I really need to make this walkway safe to
walk on.

--
I'm not perfect! Are you?
Hi, further to other answers, I'd like to add that from experience, I'd take the wire back and change it for the 1/2 " mesh. You will find the smaller mesh gives more grip and will be less likely to 'distort' from useage and therefore less likely to catch in shoes etc. Use the 'u' shaped galvanised fencing staples to fix it, hit in at 90 degrees to the woodgrain and not with it !
Lannerman.