Old 18-11-2011, 09:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default A bit of a ticking off!

On Fri, 18 Nov 2011 11:17:36 GMT, Baz wrote:

We have had some intrusions in the past and have done (at a cost) some
security measures such as PrikaStrip and GuardCam. These reccommendations
were given to us from the police and we have bought the products and
installed them.

All of that has not stopped a certain indivdual from using our garden as a
shortcut to his parents house when he has had a taste of beer and heaven
knows what else.

Thinking I was within the law I put a bit of barbed wire in his way in MY
garden betweem the Prika Striped fences. There is no way in or out unless
your intentions are criminal.

He got a bit entangled, snagged his body and clothing, and I have an ASBO
for my efforts. He rang his parents and they knew or at least thought they
knew where he was.

The GuardCam worked against me in this case because I had the cheek to
protect my property.

Baz

Sorry for maybe picking the wrong point to jump in to this exchange
but only a court can issue an ASBO. Frankly, if the circumstances are
as described, no magistrates court would issue one in this case. You
might get another penalty for causing injury but NOT an ASBO.

OTOH, as any responsible citizen will know, we are not allowed to
defend our territory. An Englilsh man's home is open season to
everyone.(Here in Wales it's different) If you have a garden pond and
a child gets into your garden and drowns in it, you are responsible
because you didn't take all reasonable (which means all) steps to
prevent the child getting in in the first place. So the child climbed
over a 6 foot high wall!!!!!????? Sorry!

I'm not sure how Baz laid out his barbed wire trap. But maybe a letter
to David Cameron Esq, c/o 10 Downing Street would help. Ask Mr C (who
has gone on at length about restoring our right to defend our
property) how he would react in given situation.

But Baz. Didn't you place that barbed wire there because you were
concerned about the number of cats who were attacking the birds in
your garden and you wanted to protect the birds? Your garden is
clearly secured against all reasonable human incursions so you had no
reason to think that any human would get caught up in the barbed wire.

Cheers, Jake
Proud to be a member of the Taffy Trio
along with Dave and Bill, especially as
the East End, where I'm at, is the drier one
Old 18-11-2011, 10:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Baz
writes
The trespasser has not committed a crime, strange but true. No damage I can
find, as tempting as it is.

Could you claim he's blunted the tips of the barbed wire at all?
--
Janet Tweedy

Old 18-11-2011, 10:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 18 Nov 2011 22:07:36 +0000, Janet Tweedy wrote:

The trespasser has not committed a crime, strange but true. No

damage I
can find, as tempting as it is.

Could you claim he's blunted the tips of the barbed wire at all?

Or trampled some grass or other valuable cro^H^H^Hplant.

How about leaving behind a biohazard? Drops of blood, you can catch
all manner of nasties from anothers blood.

Trespass is a bit weird there is no offence provided the trespasser
leaves when asked.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 19-11-2011, 01:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Baz
writes
"MuddyMike" wrote in
newscSdnSb4450xAFvTnZ2dnUVZ7oCdnZ2d@brightview. com:

"Baz" wrote in message
[...]

I have put up barbed wire to stop little scrotes flattening the mesh I
put along the top of a wall to stop the dog escaping. It has never
occurred to me that I may be in trouble if said scrotes hurt
themselves on it. To be honest although it is along a back wall mostly
out of sight I hate seeing it there but had no choice.

Mike, a word of caution,
Keep your barbed wire, but be aware that you could get yourself a criminal
record if a perp injures him/herself whilst potentially harming you or your
property after entering your premises. I hope it never happens to you.

Barbed wire along the top of a fence/wall etc. is fine - it's likely to
be clear to anyone trying to climb over - though probably wise to keep
it up high enough to avoid accidental contact. Signs might be a wise if
in doubt (like the ones you see for anti climb paint etc.)

You fell foul of putting something out deliberately to catch someone who
would be otherwise unawares. It might be that suitable visible signs at
the entrance to the property might have been sufficient to avoid the
problem with the FPN.

And they would not necessarily be intending to do a criminal act -
trespass itself isn't a criminal offence. And someone may come into your
garden for entirely innocent reasons -say a dog escaped and got into
your garden. They might come into retrieve it when no one was about.

If you have a suitable wall etc. they go over, anti climb/vandal paint
can work well. As it causes them some grief with paint on hands clothes
etc.
--
Chris French

Old 19-11-2011, 09:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message ,
Janet writes
In article ,
says...

NO I will not pay up. Never. Thats the point, I consider myself

innocent.

Failure to pay up a Fixed Penalty can result in arrest, and a higher
fine.

It strikes me that he ought to speaking to a lawyer, or at least to his
son.

Janet

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 19-11-2011, 09:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote in message
prb wrote in
m:

In article ,
says...

[...]

You got nicked because you will pay up without making a fuss, the
scrote will probably have a social worker and probation officer and
will know how to play the system causing no end of work for plod. You
will simply pay up and put it down to experience.

NO I will not pay up. Never. Thats the point, I consider myself innocent.

And so do I. I would refuse to pay the fixed penalty, and insist on going to
court. Make sure you let the plod know that you consider their actions
outrageous and unacceptable, especially if they are taking no action against
the intruder. They will almost certainly get the wobbles, and settle for
sending you a "don't do it again" letter. Attack is always the best form of
defence.

It may also be possible to get an injunction against the scrote to keep him
off your property in future.

Of course IANAL, and uk legal may be of more help to you.

Steve

Old 19-11-2011, 12:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/11/2011 11:17, Baz wrote:
[...]

Oh, that's awful, Baz! I'm so sorry to hear that. Protecting your own
property and interests these days seems to be fraught with problems.

Can you plant a prickly rose against that fence so that you have some
protection? Provided you keep it trimmed at the top (which will make it
denser ;~)), I don't see how the police can object.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London

Old 19-11-2011, 02:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Janet Tweedy wrote in
:

In article , Baz
writes
The trespasser has not committed a crime, strange but true. No damage
I can find, as tempting as it is.

Could you claim he's blunted the tips of the barbed wire at all?

Very droll. But amusing.

Baz