Old 26-11-2011, 09:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Dearth of feeding birds

"kay" wrote in message

Bill Grey;942515 Wrote:

I've recently started feeding them Nyger seeds which apparently are a
favourite of finches. I've yet to see any Gold finches or Bull finches,

even Chaffinches are rare this year

You're behind the times ;-)

According to the BTO, where both are available, goldfinches (the main
nyger feeders) prefer kibbled sunflower hearts to nyger.

Funny you should say that because I was going on the advice of an RSPB
warden.

I shall wait and see.

Bill

Old 26-11-2011, 10:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 26 Nov 2011 21:55:00 -0000, "Bill Grey"
wrote:

"Janet" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

"Janet" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

I've recently started feeding them Nyger seeds which apparently are a
favourite of finches. I've yet to see any Gold finches or Bull finches,
even Chaffinches are rare this year

We found none were interested in nyger seed on the birdtable. A friend
recommended offering it in a (small holes) hanging feeder to imitate how
goldfinches feed on thistle heads in nature. When we got one the GF
population went from zero to charms within weeks! At our last Birdwatch
count goldfinches were the second commonest bird in our garden after house
sparrows and they are nesting in the garden now. This year they brought
15 new chicks to the feeder. They have also, just started spending a lot
of time on the peanut feeders.

Janet

I bought a "Nyger Seed" feeder which two very small holes for the birds to
feed from. I'm still hoping for some finches to arrive.

Bill

Bill, they won't. I ditched my nyger feeders, put sunflower hearts on
the bird table, left the peanut feeders in place and added a big
hanging sunflower heart feeder in place of the (small) nyger one.

Used to have greenfinches in abundance but that was all finch wise.
Now I have the lot in even more abundance. The few coal and great tits
have also become a hoard. I have woodpeckers of various varieties.
Thrushes and blackbirds abound, feeding on the sunflower seeds thrown
on the lawn (by me). And a lot more sparrows and starlings than
previously.

Downside is that I'm going through about half a kilo of sunflower
hearts a day at £50 for 26 kilos so if anyone can point me to a
cheaper supplier I'd really appreciate it.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
URGling in between collecting leaves at
the dryer (east) end of Swansea Bay.
Old 27-11-2011, 11:05 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Sacha[_4_

I filled four bird feeders yesterday with both seed and sunflower
hearts. I've just gone out and filled every single one again.
But was that the birds or the wind? All our feeders lose about 3 inches of food every time we have a good blow.
__________________
Old 27-11-2011, 11:10 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet Tweedy View Post
Huh, gave up on nyger seed after three attempts and absolutely no sign
of any bird eating the seed . Plenty of long tailed tits here though
over the last couple of quite a bigggish flock (for them) seemed to be
about 10 or 11 of them all at once
-
Your nyger feeder is doing very well here. Thanks :-)

Maybe you didn't have many goldfinches in your area? I knew I had goldfinches around because they use to take the lavender seeds.

Our flocks of long tailed tits seem to be about 30-strong. They can't all get on to the fat feeders at once ;-)
__________________
Old 27-11-2011, 11:12 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet Tweedy View Post

Not to self - where doves come, pigeons won't be far behind so not to
feed kibbled sunflower seeds!
No, they really are too big to land on the feeder. They're feeding on my cabbages instead.
__________________

Old 27-11-2011, 11:13 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
Downside is that I'm going through about half a kilo of sunflower
hearts a day at £50 for 26 kilos so if anyone can point me to a
cheaper supplier I'd really appreciate it.
Birds are like cats. Once they've made the acquaintance of better quality food, they turn up their noses at cheaper stuff.

Feeding birds Sacha[_3_] United Kingdom 8 13-06-2008 04:58 PM
Feeding the birds Sacha United Kingdom 1 17-06-2006 12:36 PM
Continual feeding of garden birds Sacha United Kingdom 1 05-05-2006 09:21 PM
When do I stop feeding peanuts to the birds? Alan Holmes United Kingdom 6 09-03-2006 03:32 PM
Slightly OT-Feeding Birds Joanne United Kingdom 41 30-10-2004 06:10 PM