Old 16-03-2012, 12:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default tree id?

Anyone fancy putting a name to this line of trees?

http://i43.tinypic.com/majyas.jpg

We're hoping they may be worthy of a tree preservation order to prevent
the house behind them being demolished, so we'd like to emphasise any
merits. How old might they be? Looking a bit sorry for them selves right
now, but sprouting nicely from the trunk, and . Any help appreciated.
Old 16-03-2012, 12:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"stuart noble" wrote in message
Anyone fancy putting a name to this line of trees?

http://i43.tinypic.com/majyas.jpg

We're hoping they may be worthy of a tree preservation order to prevent
the house behind them being demolished, so we'd like to emphasise any
merits. How old might they be? Looking a bit sorry for them selves right
now, but sprouting nicely from the trunk, and . Any help appreciated.

Why?

Why are you hoping to stop the house being demolished? If its for sale, buy
it and save it.

Mike

Old 16-03-2012, 01:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

Anyone fancy putting a name to this line of trees?

http://i43.tinypic.com/majyas.jpg

We're hoping they may be worthy of a tree preservation order to prevent
the house behind them being demolished, so we'd like to emphasise any
merits. How old might they be?

They are cordyline australis; aka cabbage palms. I'd say those are
maybe 15 years old, possibly less. Not native, so of minimal value to
wildlife, and not reliably hardy or longlasting in UK as the pic shows.
Those trees' struggling growth above ground indicates they are moribund,
so they have no "landscape" amnity value either. However, if the trunk
dies or is felled to ground level for other reasons, cordylines will
regrow from the roots. Fast. That's their usual lifecycle in the UK.

Or, in coastal supermarkets here, one can buy a healthy young cordyline
for about £2 and grow a brand new, fast, better replacement to that size
in less than a decade.

So I'd say, on every possible count, they are absolute non-starters for
TPO protection. Sorry :-)

Janet

Old 16-03-2012, 01:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"stuart noble" wrote in message
Anyone fancy putting a name to this line of trees?

http://i43.tinypic.com/majyas.jpg

We're hoping they may be worthy of a tree preservation order to prevent
the house behind them being demolished, so we'd like to emphasise any
merits. How old might they be? Looking a bit sorry for them selves right
now, but sprouting nicely from the trunk, and . Any help appreciated.

It is Cordyline australis, and is not 100% hardy (it gets killed to the
ground in hard winters so you will not be able to get a tree preservation
order on them as strictly speaking they are not trees

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 16-03-2012, 01:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-03-16 12:46:09 +0000, stuart noble
said:

Anyone fancy putting a name to this line of trees?

http://i43.tinypic.com/majyas.jpg

We're hoping they may be worthy of a tree preservation order to
prevent the house behind them being demolished, so we'd like to
emphasise any merits. How old might they be? Looking a bit sorry for
them selves right now, but sprouting nicely from the trunk, and . Any
help appreciated.

Not a prayer, imo. They're not that special and look as you see after a
winter bashing. Ours did just the same last winter but has now
re-sprouted healthy growth. But they're not special, or unusual, or
precious natives or anything of that sort.

Ok, thanks everyone. We already have a TPO on a sycamore, and a
eucalyptus, which are nothing special either.

We could do with some bats, or something cuddly, nesting on the site to
keep the developers at bay. Don't think crows and squirrels will cut it
somehow :-)

Old 16-03-2012, 02:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/03/2012 12:56, 'Mike' wrote:

"stuart noble" wrote in message
Anyone fancy putting a name to this line of trees?

http://i43.tinypic.com/majyas.jpg

We're hoping they may be worthy of a tree preservation order to
prevent the house behind them being demolished, so we'd like to
emphasise any merits. How old might they be? Looking a bit sorry for
them selves right now, but sprouting nicely from the trunk, and . Any
help appreciated.

Why?

Why are you hoping to stop the house being demolished? If its for sale,
buy it and save it.

Mike

Strangely enough I don't have a spare half million
Old 16-03-2012, 02:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/03/2012 13:06, Janet wrote:
In ,
says...

[...]

Worth a try :-)
Old 16-03-2012, 02:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-03-16 12:46:09 +0000, stuart noble
said:

Anyone fancy putting a name to this line of trees?

http://i43.tinypic.com/majyas.jpg

We're hoping they may be worthy of a tree preservation order to
prevent the house behind them being demolished, so we'd like to
emphasise any merits. How old might they be? Looking a bit sorry for
them selves right now, but sprouting nicely from the trunk, and . Any
help appreciated.

Not a prayer, imo. They're not that special and look as you see after a
winter bashing. Ours did just the same last winter but has now
re-sprouted healthy growth. But they're not special, or unusual, or
precious natives or anything of that sort.

They look like half dead cordylines to me. I'd support ripping them out!

Ok, thanks everyone. We already have a TPO on a sycamore, and a
eucalyptus, which are nothing special either.

That is the sort of use of TPO that brings the entire planning system
into disrepute. Sycamores are an invasive nuisance species and *should*
be felled. Eucalyptus are just spindly fast growing alien fire hazards
and anyone planting one deserves what they get.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 16-03-2012, 03:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-03-16 12:46:09 +0000, stuart noble
said:

Anyone fancy putting a name to this line of trees?

http://i43.tinypic.com/majyas.jpg

We're hoping they may be worthy of a tree preservation order to
prevent the house behind them being demolished, so we'd like to
emphasise any merits. How old might they be? Looking a bit sorry for
them selves right now, but sprouting nicely from the trunk, and . Any
help appreciated.

Not a prayer, imo. They're not that special and look as you see after a
winter bashing. Ours did just the same last winter but has now
re-sprouted healthy growth. But they're not special, or unusual, or
precious natives or anything of that sort.

They look like half dead cordylines to me. I'd support ripping them out!

After a mild winter they usually look good, and provide a welcome relief
from the usual hardwood trees. Something a bit exotic in this dismal
corner of the south east.

http://i43.tinypic.com/15dkoee.jpg

Now is that a picture of idyllic English life or what!
It's alright, I'm just preparing my speech to the planning committee :-)

Ok, thanks everyone. We already have a TPO on a sycamore, and a
eucalyptus, which are nothing special either.

That is the sort of use of TPO that brings the entire planning system
into disrepute. Sycamores are an invasive nuisance species and *should*
be felled. Eucalyptus are just spindly fast growing alien fire hazards
and anyone planting one deserves what they get.

Don't knock the 50 foot eucalyptus! Right now it's our best friend,
having prevented a line of six terraced houses being erected. Don't ask
where we'll be with it in 5 years time :-)

Old 16-03-2012, 03:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:
On 16/03/2012 13:59, stuart noble wrote:

Ok, thanks everyone. We already have a TPO on a sycamore, and a
eucalyptus, which are nothing special either.

That is the sort of use of TPO that brings the entire planning system
into disrepute. Sycamores are an invasive nuisance species and *should*
be felled. Eucalyptus are just spindly fast growing alien fire hazards
and anyone planting one deserves what they get.

Just as with almost all of the other species of land plant that are
called "invasive", "nuisance" or "alien", that statement is almost
entirely emotive.

The very concept of "native" versus "alien" makes almost no sense
for the British Isles, only a very few species of land plant reduce
biodiversity at all, and only one does over most of the places it
grows. Around here, walnuts are invasive, rather a nuisance,
definitely alien, and some have TPOs on.

You may well be right that TPOs are inappropriate for those trees,
but that will depend on the details. And, very often, the choice
is between those trees and no trees at all, now or in the future
(i.e. yet more concrete and asphalt).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 16-03-2012, 04:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 16/03/2012 12:56, 'Mike' wrote:

"stuart noble" wrote in message
Anyone fancy putting a name to this line of trees?

http://i43.tinypic.com/majyas.jpg

We're hoping they may be worthy of a tree preservation order to
prevent the house behind them being demolished, so we'd like to
emphasise any merits. How old might they be? Looking a bit sorry for
them selves right now, but sprouting nicely from the trunk, and . Any
help appreciated.

Why?

Why are you hoping to stop the house being demolished? If its for sale,
buy it and save it.

Mike

Strangely enough I don't have a spare half million

Slap a Listed Building Status or a Preservation Order on it if you think
it's that worth saving.

That is of course, if it's not just a case of NIMBY

Mike

Old 16-03-2012, 04:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Slap a Listed Building Status or a Preservation Order on it if you think
it's that worth saving.

Is that something I can pick up from my local library? :-)

I don't think anything is "slapped on" that easily or nothing would ever
get demolished.
Old 16-03-2012, 05:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 16 Mar 2012 12:46:09 +0000, stuart noble
wrote:

Anyone fancy putting a name to this line of trees?

http://i43.tinypic.com/majyas.jpg

We're hoping they may be worthy of a tree preservation order to prevent
the house behind them being demolished, so we'd like to emphasise any
merits. How old might they be? Looking a bit sorry for them selves right
now, but sprouting nicely from the trunk, and . Any help appreciated.

Cordyline australis from New Zealand so they do well here unless we
have a few cold winters. The ones in your picture looked to have
suffered a bit. Sprout in from the trunk will produce new branches but
the dead leaves need cutting off soon.

Steve

--
Neural Network Software. http://www.npsl1.com

Old 16-03-2012, 08:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mar 16, 12:56*pm, "'Mike'" wrote:
"stuart noble" wrote in message

Anyone fancy putting a name to this line of trees?

http://i43.tinypic.com/majyas.jpg

We're hoping they may be worthy of a tree preservation order to prevent
the house behind them being demolished, so we'd like to emphasise any
merits. How old might they be? Looking a bit sorry for them selves right
now, but sprouting nicely from the trunk, and . Any help appreciated.

Why?

Why are you hoping to stop the house being demolished? If its for sale, buy
it and save it.

Mike

I'm an Angel, honest ! The horns are there just to keep the halo straight..

The old dump you live in should have been demolished years ago Mike!
Old 17-03-2012, 02:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"stuart noble" wrote in message
Anyone fancy putting a name to this line of trees?

http://i43.tinypic.com/majyas.jpg

We're hoping they may be worthy of a tree preservation order to prevent
the house behind them being demolished, so we'd like to emphasise any
merits. How old might they be? Looking a bit sorry for them selves right
now, but sprouting nicely from the trunk, and . Any help appreciated.

As others have said, no chance. why do you think preserving trees will
prevent a house from being demolished?
Let me guess, it's near you, in a good bit of ground and the developers are
after it?