Old 09-04-2012, 11:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default My wife does not understand me!

"Janet" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

'Spooner Speak'? what is this?

Look up Spoonerism

Anyone who complains about Spoonerisms must be a shining wit.

Steve

Old 10-04-2012, 09:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 04/10/2012 10:12 AM, Martin wrote:
[]
Scotch is whisky.

So is Rye, but you won't catch any in my glass. If you mean the
spelling, I'm betraying my roots.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jake" wrote in message
On Mon, 09 Apr 2012 13:10:48 +0100, Moonraker
wrote:

This is a cry from the heart, she really does not. A miserable wet
morning, so about an hour ago my wife decided the sun was over the yard
arm. She made me a lovely gin and tonic, ok so far. But a little later
the rain had eased so I told her I would go out and top up the fird
beeders, she did not understand me!

Ditto here save that it's Southern Comfort. Outside the noisy bweeting
tirds are hiding in the rees from the train and aren't fouching the
teeders at all except for the feen grinches.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from the hardly damp east end of Swansea Bay.

What a rare and amusing rabbit !

Bill

Old 10-04-2012, 11:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote in message
.. .
"'Mike'" wrote in
:

wrote:

This is a cry from the heart, she really does not. A miserable wet
morning, so about an hour ago my wife decided the sun was over the yard
arm. She made me a lovely gin and tonic, ok so far. But a little later
the rain had eased so I told her I would go out and top up the fird
beeders, she did not understand me!

Ditto here save that it's Southern Comfort. Outside the noisy bweeting
tirds are hiding in the rees from the train and aren't fouching the
teeders at all except for the feen grinches.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from the hardly damp east end of Swansea Bay.

Funny how 'Spooner Speak' kicks in when the sun is over the Yardarm

Mike

'Spooner Speak'? Mike what is this?

Baz

See my other posting :-)

Bill

Old 10-04-2012, 05:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bill Grey" wrote in message
news

wrote:

This is a cry from the heart, she really does not. A miserable wet
morning, so about an hour ago my wife decided the sun was over the yard
arm. She made me a lovely gin and tonic, ok so far. But a little later
the rain had eased so I told her I would go out and top up the fird
beeders, she did not understand me!

Ditto here save that it's Southern Comfort. Outside the noisy bweeting
tirds are hiding in the rees from the train and aren't fouching the
teeders at all except for the feen grinches.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from the hardly damp east end of Swansea Bay.

What a rare and amusing rabbit !

Bill

Sorry - made a mess of that one !!!

Should have been:-

A rare and amusing habit !

Bill

Old 11-04-2012, 10:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Tue, 10 Apr 2012 10:56:22 +0200, Emery Davis
wrote:

On 04/10/2012 10:12 AM, Martin wrote:
[]
Scotch is whisky.

So is Rye, but you won't catch any in my glass. If you mean the
spelling, I'm betraying my roots.

blonde? :-)

Whisky is Scottish, whiskey is Irish.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 11 Apr 2012 22:26:42 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

On 04/10/2012 10:12 AM, Martin wrote:
[]
Scotch is whisky.

So is Rye, but you won't catch any in my glass. If you mean the
spelling, I'm betraying my roots.

blonde? :-)

Whisky is Scottish, whiskey is Irish.

Now what about Canadian, American, Australian, Danish, Finnish,
German, Indian, Japanese, Swedish and, of course, the excellent Welsh?

AFAIK, America uses the Irish spelling, including for Scotch, Wales
has its own Welsh spelling and the rest use the Scottish one.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from the sunny and refreshingly green
east end of Swansea Bay.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

On 04/10/2012 10:12 AM, Martin wrote:
[]
Scotch is whisky.

So is Rye, but you won't catch any in my glass. If you mean the
spelling, I'm betraying my roots.

blonde? :-)

Whisky is Scottish, whiskey is Irish.

Now what about Canadian, American, Australian, Danish, Finnish,
German, Indian, Japanese, Swedish and, of course, the excellent Welsh?

AFAIK, America uses the Irish spelling, including for Scotch,

Indeed. Thus the roots, on both sides. I was raised in NY, but my
maternal grandfather was a prize fighter from Kerry, who knew how to
empty a bottle apparently.

Old 12-04-2012, 10:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 12 Apr 2012 08:08:44 +0100, Jake
wrote:

AFAIK, America uses the Irish spelling, including for Scotch, Wales
has its own Welsh spelling and the rest use the Scottish one.

Most countries use the Irish spelling whiskey. It came from the Irish
Gaelic usquebaugh which came from uisce beatha. Whisky came from
Scottish Gaelic uisge beatha.

Steve