Old 18-04-2012, 11:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Rain, locals panicking.

Some of the residents of our street are panicking and getting out.

It is absolutely pouring now. I must admit it is a bit scary.

Nothing on the news channel yet but it surely must be.
Old 18-04-2012, 11:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote in message
.. .
Some of the residents of our street are panicking and getting out.

It is absolutely pouring now. I must admit it is a bit scary.

Nothing on the news channel yet but it surely must be.

If you think there is a danger of your house flooding, as your neighbours
obviously do, maybe you should ship out too.
Let us know how it goes.
Good luck.

Old 18-04-2012, 11:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 18 Apr 2012 22:14:28 GMT, Baz wrote:

Some of the residents of our street are panicking and getting out.

It is absolutely pouring now. I must admit it is a bit scary.

Where are you ?
--
Regards,

Hugh Jampton
Old 18-04-2012, 11:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Hugh Jampton" wrote in message
On Wed, 18 Apr 2012 22:14:28 GMT, Baz wrote:

Some of the residents of our street are panicking and getting out.

It is absolutely pouring now. I must admit it is a bit scary.

Where are you ?
--
Regards,

Hugh Jampton

ISTR he's in Lincs.

No need to worry though
http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk...ods/31618.aspx

Hopefully the threat of floods will soon recede from his region and the rain
will cease.

I haven't even tried to get down to the village as I know the railway bridge
will be flooded here after 24 hours of non-stop rain.

Old 19-04-2012, 08:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote in message
.. .
Some of the residents of our street are panicking and getting out.

It is absolutely pouring now. I must admit it is a bit scary.

Nothing on the news channel yet but it surely must be.

This may be of help to you, may not, but is worth noting.

The pair of houses opposite mine flooded after heavy rain to skirting board
level 4 times in the first 16 years I was there. The children used to come
into our house whilst the panics were on.

By the time the Council, Fire Brigade or the Water Board arrived, the
flooding had receded in the houses but the proof was there.

'Not our problem' or 'Nothing can be done about it' were the usual replies.

The problem was that the pair of houses were in a slight dip, which flooded
when the drains were overwhelmed.

On the 4th occasion again 'Nothing we can d about it', but I had videoed it.
"Oh yes there is. Come with me" and I sat them down and showed them the
video and where the problem was. The crowns of two roads met and once the
drains were overwhelmed, there was only one place for the water to go. Down
one of the drives and into the houses via air bricks etc. "Oh can we have
that please?"..... "No. I will get you a copy"

I made copies and they were presented to the Council and the Water Board.

Result? They did a massive road re-alignment to solve the problem.

Lesson? Take videos of where the water is coming from and where it is going.
Is something restricting it from getting away, if yes, what. Don't give up
on badgering those who can get something done about it. Only let copies of
videos go.

Mike

Old 19-04-2012, 08:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 18 Apr 2012 22:14:28 GMT, Baz wrote:

Some of the residents of our street are panicking and getting out.

It is absolutely pouring now. I must admit it is a bit scary.

Nothing on the news channel yet but it surely must be.

If you're staying put then take care.

--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Old 19-04-2012, 12:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

mogga wrote in
:

On Wed, 18 Apr 2012 22:14:28 GMT, Baz wrote:

Some of the residents of our street are panicking and getting out.

It is absolutely pouring now. I must admit it is a bit scary.

Nothing on the news channel yet but it surely must be.

If you're staying put then take care.

It seems that because we live at the very bottom of a series of hills over
many miles, the wash is obviously comming downwards and the underground
drains are so full that they are "spewing" and we get it all. the flood
water would under normal circumstances go into Drains(which are like
canals), then into the canal, eventually the River Trent then the Humber
estuary.
This is because we are (at the bottom of the hills)the start of a vast flat
land. no visible feature on the horizon. Thats why we have Drains of the
canal type, to soak away excess water.

This has gone wrong because the underground drains(which should collect
water for Anglian Water for us to use) are faulty and there are tractors
(JCB) everywhere digging away, breaking up roads, costing what must be
millions. Personally I would not have thought that the drains would cope
even if they worked perfectly, we have had so much rain.

The rain has not stopped but is VERY much lighter now, for now! The garden
is still under water. The roads which havn't roadworks are passable,
driveable.

I tried to get a url explaining the drain (canal type) for people who are
interested, but got a blank. I am a bit pushed for time.

Baz
Old 19-04-2012, 12:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/04/2012 23:14, Baz wrote:
Some of the residents of our street are panicking and getting out.

It is absolutely pouring now. I must admit it is a bit scary.

Nothing on the news channel yet but it surely must be.

Do be careful, Baz. A drowned garden is one thing ..

Take your tea-making kit upstairs and keep warm and dry. We'll pray for
a sunny bit for you.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
Old 19-04-2012, 01:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Spider wrote in :

On 18/04/2012 23:14, Baz wrote:
Some of the residents of our street are panicking and getting out.

It is absolutely pouring now. I must admit it is a bit scary.

Nothing on the news channel yet but it surely must be.

Do be careful, Baz. A drowned garden is one thing ..

Take your tea-making kit upstairs and keep warm and dry. We'll pray for
a sunny bit for you.

Thanks for the wishes.
Would you beleive I have a 1970's Goblin Teasmaid which works perfectly.
NO SMARTY COMMENTS from some of the guys, please gentlemen, this should not
get like Jakes butt. erm talk he gave.

Sorry, Spider, I had to get that in.
The only problem with the Teasmaid is that it wakes me too early because it
starts to boil the water an hour before the tea is made. That is noisy.

We have only drizzle now and the crisp packet blowing around the lake which
used to be a lawn and is still floating.

Life!
Baz

Old 19-04-2012, 03:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

You seem to "know" so much.

You seem to know bugger all. We can't all be alike, eh?

http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk...ods/31632.aspx

Janet

Old 19-04-2012, 04:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 04/19/2012 02:55 PM, Baz wrote:
Would you beleive I have a 1970's Goblin Teasmaid which works perfectly.
NO SMARTY COMMENTS from some of the guys, please gentlemen, this should not
get like Jakes butt. erm talk he gave.

The kids gave us (well Adele actually, but I get full benefit) a
Teasmade (or is it teasmaid? I wonder) a few years ago, and I wouldn't
part with it for anything. So no comments from this quarter!

Hang in there, Baz.
Old 19-04-2012, 04:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19/04/2012 13:55, Baz wrote:
wrote in :

On 18/04/2012 23:14, Baz wrote:
[...]

Well, at least you have a sense of humour, that should keep your sanity
safe! You should perhaps be wary of electricity, as Janet (not Jake?)
says, if it gets really bad. I'm not an electrician, but a fireman's
daughter ;~). If you can't make a nice hot brew, a drop of scotch would
warm the cockles of your heart.

However, I do hope 'your' drizzle is the end of it, and you don't have a
ruined house to remedy. Good luck.

Old 19-04-2012, 05:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wednesday, April 18, 2012 11:14:28 PM UTC+1, Baz wrote:
Some of the residents of our street are panicking and getting out.

It is absolutely pouring now. I must admit it is a bit scary.

Nothing on the news channel yet but it surely must be.

I very recently came across this
http://www.raintoday.co.uk/
haven't played with it long enough to assess its true worth,
but it could be useful. You can localise it too by searching
for and saving your location.