Old 21-04-2012, 06:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default More rain

It has just gone very dark, and we have thunder accompanied by a heavy mix
of rain and hail.

The cats are ensconced on the spare bed with smug looks on their faces.

--
Kathy

Old 21-04-2012, 06:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Kathy" wrote in message
It has just gone very dark, and we have thunder accompanied by a heavy mix
of rain and hail.

The cats are ensconced on the spare bed with smug looks on their faces.

--
Kathy

Kathy you don't' say where you are.

We are just abut to go out to the theatre in wonderful sunshine.

Mike
South East Coast of the Isle of Wight

Old 21-04-2012, 10:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21/04/2012 18:43, Kathy wrote:
It has just gone very dark, and we have thunder accompanied by a heavy
mix of rain and hail.

The cats are ensconced on the spare bed with smug looks on their faces.

Although we were promised rain from 3pm onwards, it's been sunny all day
(about 13.5%C), so I've had most of the day in the garden, mowed the
lawns, did lots of weeding .. oh, and I remembered to take the cat
treats out with me :~)).

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
Old 22-04-2012, 10:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Sacha wrote in :

The government should employ me as a rainmaker. I have only to go to
the hairdresser for the heavens to open and this is pretty much
invariable. This morning I had my hair cut and just as I was about to
leave the salon, the heavens opened, not rain but stair rods of hail
bouncing off the road. Finally, it stopped and I drove up to
Bridgwater through a mix of sun, rain and a little hail and about 5
snowflakes. It's very cold here tonight but so far it's dry.

Works the other way for me. I go to get my hair cut and the barber always
puffs it up when he dries it. On my way afterwards I look at my reflection
in a shop window and pray for rain. Never does rain when you want it to.
Sods law?

It is much drier here, You can hardly tell day by day, but a pic I took a
week ago is quite shocking to what I see today. Very soggy still though but
I am sure the level of soil has gone down. Perhaps compacted?
Some things, peas, beans and potatoes although they are a sickly yellowy
colour look like they might survive if the water keeps on draining away.
But the weather forecast is glum.

Fingers crossed hoping it gets better for us all (rain and no rain)
Baz

Old 22-04-2012, 12:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Apr 22, 10:16*am, Baz wrote:
Sacha wrote :

[...]

After a couple of days away visiting the Cunard Queen Victoria, Wow!
(How the other half holiday).
Some very heavy bursts of rain traveling, though it looked as if we
missed the worst.
At home here there was just 0.3" over the 2 days, but this morning is
making up for it, so far 0.4" so far with hail mixed in with the rain
and the temp had gone down to 44f.and it feels as if winter is back
with a vengance.
David @ the wintery end of Swansea Bay

Old 22-04-2012, 01:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
On Apr 22, 10:16 am, Baz wrote:
Sacha wrote :

[...]

Hope you didn't look too close at the workmanship on Queen Victoria. I
thought it was poor when I was on her

Mike

Old 22-04-2012, 02:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Dave Hill wrote in
:

On Apr 22, 10:16*am, Baz wrote:
Sacha wrote
:

[...]

Yes, cold as winter.
Yet another weird year? What is a normal year I am wondering.

Baz
Old 22-04-2012, 02:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 22 Apr 2012 04:59:14 -0700 (PDT), Dave Hill
wrote:

After a couple of days away visiting the Cunard Queen Victoria, Wow!
(How the other half holiday).
Some very heavy bursts of rain traveling, though it looked as if we
missed the worst.
At home here there was just 0.3" over the 2 days, but this morning is
making up for it, so far 0.4" so far with hail mixed in with the rain
and the temp had gone down to 44f.and it feels as if winter is back
with a vengance.
David @ the wintery end of Swansea Bay

Hang on there - you spent 2 days visiting the QV so you're part of the
"other half".

If your 44f refers to the lowest overnight temps while you were away
then you're just a bit higher than the lowest here (44F=about 6.7C and
the lowest overnight here in the last week has been 6.2C). Today it
was 14C at lunchtime and we're experiencing a mix of rain and sunny
intervals, no hail and no wind to speak of. Indeed, the spells of
rain, which individually last for little longer than a few minutes,
interspersed with half an hour or more of dry, seem to coincide with
the brightest periods so almost qualify as sun showers!

There's just a bit too much wet for me to be trampling over the flower
beds for a bit of weeding - the Himalayan balsam has erupted with a
vengeance but the underlying clay says "stay off" and hoeing HB from
the paths doesn't work.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from the asylum formerly known as the
dry end of Swansea Bay.
Old 22-04-2012, 03:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

wrote:

[...]

No Jake, we had to go down the day before to fit in a nursery visit,
and to be there around 9.30 am Sat morning and as it's a good 4 hour
drive each way, and then drive home after, not something I'd want to
do as a day trip.
The 44f was the temp here this morning just after we had the hail. and
it still feels like winter.
Here I doubt we've had more than about half an hour of sun so far
today, probably everything falling from the sky over us is forming
holes for the sun to shine through when it gets to you.
David @ the arctic end of Swansea Bay
PS just went out to check the temp and it's now at 47f , still raining
and we now hae running water down the track
Old 22-04-2012, 04:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 22 Apr 2012 07:28:54 -0700 (PDT), Dave Hill
wrote:

No Jake, we had to go down the day before to fit in a nursery visit,
and to be there around 9.30 am Sat morning and as it's a good 4 hour
drive each way, and then drive home after, not something I'd want to
do as a day trip.
The 44f was the temp here this morning just after we had the hail. and
it still feels like winter.
Here I doubt we've had more than about half an hour of sun so far
today, probably everything falling from the sky over us is forming
holes for the sun to shine through when it gets to you.
David @ the arctic end of Swansea Bay
PS just went out to check the temp and it's now at 47f , still raining
and we now hae running water down the track

You're still the other half - I've been thinking of journeys to
various places for the summer and then crossing them off the list when
I work out the interest on the loan to buy the petrol!

I really appreciate your self-sacrifice. Currently at 4pm the sun's
been shining for about an hour and if the ground wasn't so wet I'd be
outside attacking the balsam. I know , though, that I'd be standing in
position X for maybe 15 minutes clearing the seedlings within reach
and in that time I'd have sunk a bit! These bl***y Himalayan balsam
seedlings are to me what rain is to you, perhaps. The ones in "no
man's land"("no man" equals Network Rail who won't sell the land as
they need it when they maintain the Swansea-London main line but don't
give a s**t other than on those three Sundays every other year) next
door are just at the glyphosate-tender stage but I need a dry day to
climb over the fence and spray them. Farmer would do it from his side
but he'd use a tractor-based sprayer and the wind would probably put
paid to my garden as well!

Cheers, Jake
=======================================

Old 23-04-2012, 02:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote
Dave Hill wrote
After a couple of days away visiting the Cunard Queen Victoria, Wow!
(How the other half holiday).
Some very heavy bursts of rain traveling, though it looked as if we
missed the worst.
At home here there was just 0.3" over the 2 days, but this morning is
making up for it, so far 0.4" so far with hail mixed in with the rain
and the temp had gone down to 44f.and it feels as if winter is back
with a vengance.
David @ the wintery end of Swansea Bay

Yes, cold as winter.
Yet another weird year? What is a normal year I am wondering.

A normal year is when everyone complains about the weather and it's
either too dry or too wet or too cold or too hot wherever they are in
the UK. ;-)

Atm it's sunny here with every approaching shower somehow missing us,
but I've got to go out so no gardening for me this afternoon. (chiz chiz
chiz)
--
Sue in Norfolk .