Old 01-05-2012, 03:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Back home to survey damage.

We have had very hard rain for weeks (North Lincs.) and it became so
servere the other day that our insurance company strongly advised us to put
our belongings upstairs and get out.

Well I have had a look today at home and it doesn't seem too bad.

The garden is very wet, but at least not got too much standing water. No
plants to salvage I think.

The ground floor of the house is damp and peeling back carpets reveals
seeminly damp floors. Rub a cloth over the floors and they are wet.

The footings of the house are what worries me most. Getting them wet then
dry can cause susidance.

I think the link below might be relevent.

http://tinyurl.com/d455lwm

A surveyor who was appointed to our case via the insurance company is sure
that it is sewage and he has cases where the sewage is not odourous because
it has been filtered through soil and agregates on its way to where it will
pool. Shifting the blame?

See you later
Baz
Old 01-05-2012, 06:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 1, 3:34*pm, Baz wrote:
[...]

It's very common for drains to back up in flood situations.
The house needs flood proofing. There are ways to
A Keep the water out.
B Minimise the cost/damage if it does get in.

http://uk.ask.com/web?qsrc=1&o=0&l=d...uses&dm=ct ry
Old 01-05-2012, 06:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 1, 3:34*pm, Baz wrote:
[...]

Good stuff he-
http://www.findaproperty.com/display...0&storyid=8289
Old 02-05-2012, 02:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-05-01 15:34:03 +0100, Baz said:

[...]

It sounds depressing for you, Baz and I'm sorry to read your report.
But give it a week or two and let's hope things start to look better.
Sounds as if residents might need to band together to get a few things
sorted out!

Thankyou Sacha.
I live a couple of miles away from the link I gave, but the sewage(if it
is sewage) did reach us. It has been dry and quite warm today considering
how it has been the last month or so. There is a bit of a smell now.

We were going to replace the ground floor carpets anyway so it is unfair
to claim for them.

All I want from the insurance is to make sure the integrity of the
footings when they eventually get back to normal moisture. Scary. The
builing company I work for has probes into the footings also, just in
case!

If it stays fine and not raining, we could be back in 2 weeks. We are at
the moment staying at my sons house, UP the hill while the de-humidifiers
do their dehumidifying. to dry the interiours.

The insurance people were going to put us into a hotel!

Such is life. To coin a phrase...it stinks.(as in sewage) :-)
Baz

Old 02-05-2012, 02:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

harry wrote in
:

On May 1, 3:34*pm, Baz wrote:
[...]

Our insurance company will make demands now. I will be looking.

Thanks for the link, harry
Baz

Old 02-05-2012, 04:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 2, 2:47*pm, Baz wrote:
harry wrote :

On May 1, 3:34*pm, Baz wrote:
[...]

Baz- Hide quoted text -

Well apart from the insurance issue, it makes the place easier to sell
if it has been made flood resistant.
Old 02-05-2012, 05:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

harry wrote in
:

Well apart from the insurance issue, it makes the place easier to sell
if it has been made flood resistant.

My insurers will I am told give me conditions. Practical solutions to make
the house insurable in the future. More money. Including flood resistance.
Loads of money.
Just going to have to do it!

Baz
Old 02-05-2012, 05:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 02 May 2012 16:21:04 GMT, Baz wrote:

harry wrote in
:

Well apart from the insurance issue, it makes the place easier to sell
if it has been made flood resistant.

My insurers will I am told give me conditions. Practical solutions to make
the house insurable in the future. More money. Including flood resistance.
Loads of money.
Just going to have to do it!

Baz

You've had a long run of bad luck, Baz and I really do feel for you
and your family.

If your insurers will expect you to spend money "to make the house
insurable in the future", then even if you were going to replace
carpets downstairs, it may well be that the money you planned to spend
on those will need to be diverted to other things so you would need to
put off the planned recarpeting. On that basis, it seems perfectly
reasonable to claim for them.

I've checked my house insurance provisions for temporary accommodation
if the house is unoccupiable and the policy covers a nightly payment
in lieu of hotel costs if I stay with friends or relatives and even
the cost of accommodating pets. So worth checking your policy wording
and, maybe, asking.

There is nothing at all wrong with claiming that to which you are
entitled; after all you have paid the premiums and it's not as if you
would be claiming for any "false" losses or consequential costs.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from the asylum formerly known as the
dry end of Swansea Bay.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 2, 5:21*pm, Baz wrote:
harry wrote :

Well apart from the insurance issue, it makes the place easier to sell
if it has been *made flood resistant.

My insurers will I am told give me conditions. Practical solutions to make
the house insurable in the future. More money. Including flood resistance..
Loads of money.
Just going to have to do it!

Baz

Yes I'm afraid so. If you are handy though you can save some money,
none of it is rocket science.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Baz wrote in
:

Thanks to everyone who has shown concern.

Today we have a firm from the insurance to dry out the ground floor.
Lots of dehumidifiers humming and buzzing with generators, almost silent
compared with the pumping noise nearby.

Insurer is glad to pay any expenses occurring including hotel. We do not
need that because we are staying at sons house, but even so they propose to
pay our upkeep and a bit extra. Goes on about inconvenience. Another
matter. I have got to say that our insurers have been very good, so far.
Even advising us to claim for carpet renewal.

Well they are admitting liability by drying the ground floor?
What a mess. All we want is to move back in.
Baz

Old 03-05-2012, 11:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 03 May 2012 14:41:15 GMT, Baz wrote:

Baz wrote in
2:

Thanks to everyone who has shown concern.

Today we have a firm from the insurance to dry out the ground floor.
Lots of dehumidifiers humming and buzzing with generators, almost silent
compared with the pumping noise nearby.

Insurer is glad to pay any expenses occurring including hotel. We do not
need that because we are staying at sons house, but even so they propose to
pay our upkeep and a bit extra. Goes on about inconvenience. Another
matter. I have got to say that our insurers have been very good, so far.
Even advising us to claim for carpet renewal.

Well they are admitting liability by drying the ground floor?
What a mess. All we want is to move back in.
Baz

It's very good to hear that they have treated you well Baz.
Let's hope it doesn't happen again.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Fuschia wrote in
:

[...]

Thankyou, Fuschia.
Just one bit of sh*t after another here. It will get better, sure of it!
We perhaps should have stayed put in the old house we lived in, instead of
this older and sh**tier one. Very much bigger garden here and more rooms
but we never even thought about floods, never been floods here.

Baz
Old 04-05-2012, 01:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote in
:

On Fri, 04 May 2012 11:36:32 GMT, Baz wrote:

Fuschia wrote in
m:

On Thu, 03 May 2012 14:41:15 GMT, Baz wrote:

Baz wrote in
22:

[...]

What does the Environment Agency flood map show for where your house
is located?
http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk...s/default.aspx

Post code? Not being funny or smartass. could work?

Baz
Old 04-05-2012, 01:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote in
:

On Fri, 04 May 2012 12:05:20 GMT, Baz wrote:

Martin wrote in
m:

On Fri, 04 May 2012 11:36:32 GMT, Baz wrote:

Fuschia wrote in
m:

On Thu, 03 May 2012 14:41:15 GMT, Baz wrote:

Baz wrote in
.222:

[...]

agency.gov.uk/homeandleisure/floods/default.aspx

Post code?

or town

Not being funny or smartass. could work?

Put the nearest place and drag the map to where you live.

Did do that and not recognised. even postcode. Joke?
Old 04-05-2012, 01:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Baz wrote in news:XnsA0498A5F82B11myloelysister@
81.171.92.236:

Martin wrote in
:

On Fri, 04 May 2012 12:05:20 GMT, Baz wrote:

Martin wrote in
:

On Fri, 04 May 2012 11:36:32 GMT, Baz wrote:

Fuschia wrote in
om:

On Thu, 03 May 2012 14:41:15 GMT, Baz wrote:

Baz wrote in
2.222:

[...]

The page even when I put in S****horpe gave me

Did you mean: xanthippe