Old 05-05-2012, 10:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default cordless strimmer

Do any of you own a rechargeable battery strimmer? If is it any good? I am
thinking of buying one for trimming those small corners that the grass
cutter can't get to. I have a 2 stroke 4 in 1 machine which is great but
takes too much faffing around to get it going for small jobs.

Mike

Old 05-05-2012, 12:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 5 May 2012 10:42:01 +0100, "Muddymike"
wrote:

Do any of you own a rechargeable battery strimmer? If is it any good? I am
thinking of buying one for trimming those small corners that the grass
cutter can't get to. I have a 2 stroke 4 in 1 machine which is great but
takes too much faffing around to get it going for small jobs.

Mike

I've been through a few different ones but now have one of these:

http://www.gtechonline.co.uk/garden-...rimmer-71.html

which I won in a raffle. It uses little blades rather than a line and
this took a bit of getting used to - if you cut too close to something
hard the blade will snap or come off. But once I got the hang of it I
found it a lot easier as the blades last longer than the line before
it breaks! You get a pack of blades and additional packs as needed are
"free" apart from P&P from the manufacturer for the life of the
machine.

Gotta say I love it and hardly ever use the big one now.

FWIW I've seen it on sale for around £40-50 but can't remember where,
sorry.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from the asylum formerly known as the
dry end of Swansea Bay.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Do any of you own a rechargeable battery strimmer? If is it any good? I am
thinking of buying one for trimming those small corners that the grass
cutter can't get to. I have a 2 stroke 4 in 1 machine which is great but
takes too much faffing around to get it going for small jobs.

Mike

Have had a Ryobi one for a about 3 years. I purchased it without
battery because I already had some of their other cordless tools and
so could use my existing batteries and charger and it was at a sale
price at the time so it wasn't too expensive.
If it is just the small corners or along an edging board between lawn
and bed then you might find such a machine okay,that is what I
purchased ours for. Heavy use like long or wet grass depletes the
batteries fairly fast, they will run the strimmer for a fair while
time but a period towards the end lacks grunt. I have used it on
heavier things like tall nettles and bramble but they have to be
really dry to achieve a good result over a meaningful area.

G.Harman
Old 06-05-2012, 04:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Do any of you own a rechargeable battery strimmer? If is it any good? I am
thinking of buying one for trimming those small corners that the grass
cutter can't get to. I have a 2 stroke 4 in 1 machine which is great but
takes too much faffing around to get it going for small jobs.

Mike

I've got a black and decker one. It won't do huge acres but does all
the bits that need doing.
It'll turny twist so you can run it along the edge of the lawn too.

It's so much less messing than getting the wired one out.
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk