Old 18-06-2012, 08:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Strawberries

For the last couple of years when we have bought Strawberries from the
supermarkets we sniff them first to try for flavour, then comes the
taste test at home, well last week we bought a pack of Buddy (Strawberry
(Everbearer) Buddy) from Sainsburys, got round to them today, they were
all still good, and then the taste, first class, and over half an hour
later I've still got the lingering taste, no need for sugar.
" This exciting new variety of strawberry will provide a continuous
supply of large, deep red berries from June through to October. Bred
from a breeding programme at East Malling to develop varieties suitable
to our ever changing climate, strawberry Buddy will continue to produce
sweet tasting fruits, even in very hot weather".
Watch out for them and see what you think.
What is your favourite variety of Strawberry?
David @ the damp end of Swansea Bay

Old 18-06-2012, 09:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 18, 8:19*pm, David Hill wrote:
For the last couple of years when we have bought Strawberries from the
supermarkets we sniff them first to try for flavour, then comes the
taste test at home, well last week we bought a pack of Buddy (Strawberry
(Everbearer) Buddy) *from Sainsburys, got round to them today, they were
all still good, and then the taste, first class, and over half an hour
later I've still got the lingering taste, no need for sugar.
" This exciting new variety of strawberry will provide a continuous
supply of large, deep red berries from June through to October. Bred
from a breeding programme at East Malling to develop varieties suitable
to our ever changing climate, strawberry Buddy will continue to produce
sweet tasting fruits, even in very hot weather".
Watch out for them and see what you think.
What is your favourite variety of Strawberry?
David @ the damp end of Swansea Bay

GM I expect........... :-)
Old 18-06-2012, 09:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/06/2012 21:02, harry wrote:
[...]

I don't think East Malling are into GM, they have been fruit breeding
for many many years

Old 19-06-2012, 01:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David Hill wrote:
For the last couple of years when we have bought Strawberries from the
supermarkets we sniff them first to try for flavour, then comes the
taste test at home, well last week we bought a pack of Buddy (Strawberry
(Everbearer) Buddy) from Sainsburys, got round to them today, they were
all still good, and then the taste, first class, and over half an hour
later I've still got the lingering taste, no need for sugar.
" This exciting new variety of strawberry will provide a continuous
supply of large, deep red berries from June through to October. Bred
from a breeding programme at East Malling to develop varieties suitable
to our ever changing climate, strawberry Buddy will continue to produce
sweet tasting fruits, even in very hot weather".
Watch out for them and see what you think.
What is your favourite variety of Strawberry?
David @ the damp end of Swansea Bay

I would never buy any fruit from a supermarket now as the prices are
just ridiculous. Taste is very subjective. But for flavour and
aweetness, Cambridge Vigour is very good. Just picked a bowlful of these
today. Even with hardly any sun on them for the last 2 months they still
tasted good. Hapil and Canbridge Favourite are very good varieties too

Old 19-06-2012, 08:34 AM
Registered User

Location: California

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hill View Post
For the last couple of years when we have bought Strawberries from the
supermarkets we sniff them first to try for flavour, then comes the
taste test at home, well last week we bought a pack of Buddy (Strawberry
(Everbearer) Buddy) from Sainsburys, got round to them today, they were
all still good, and then the taste, first class, and over half an hour
later I've still got the lingering taste, no need for sugar.
" This exciting new variety of strawberry will provide a continuous
supply of large, deep red berries from June through to October. Bred
from a breeding programme at East Malling to develop varieties suitable
to our ever changing climate, strawberry Buddy will continue to produce
sweet tasting fruits, even in very hot weather".
Watch out for them and see what you think.
What is your favourite variety of Strawberry?
David @ the damp end of Swansea Bay

I'm led to believe the Marshmello is one of the best tasting strawberry by virtue of being one of the sweetest. Regardless of what variety, I heard that the alpine varieties are always much tastier (sweeter) than standard non-alpine strawberry. I think that strawberry flavour would be a personal preference thing veg. Some people will prefer a juicy fruit, some a sweet fruit so I think you will have to taste all the different varieties and choose for yourself.
__________________
Fruit Trees
Old 19-06-2012, 10:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19/06/2012 01:24, Frank wrote:
David Hill wrote:
[...]

On the subject of strawberries mine are rotting as they ripen. Probably
the poorest crop yet. Why does our weather go to extremes, is it under
the control of politicians?

Old 19-06-2012, 11:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David Hill wrote:
[...]

Maybe you need to put some straw underneath to keep them off the soil? I
use bundles of dead twigs which seem to work well
Old 19-06-2012, 11:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David Hill wrote:
[...]

Oh! I thought that was why they were called 'straw'berries?

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 19-06-2012, 12:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 19 Jun 2012 11:43:02 +0100, "Ophelia"
wrote:

Oh! I thought that was why they were called 'straw'berries?

There is a body of opinion that says, in times gone by, the plants
were known as "strewn berries" because of the way the berries were
strewn all over the plant and it is from this name that "strawberry"
evolved.

I grow mine in tower thingies so they are off the ground, easy to
protect from sluggies and the like and easy to net from birds. 24
plants take up about 3 square feet of ground which is pretty efficient
use of it.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from Swansea Bay. Dave's at that end; I'm at this end.
Bill G's in the middle. Come to think of it, where is Bill G these days?

Old 19-06-2012, 12:21 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by allen73 View Post
Regardless of what variety, I heard that the alpine varieties are always much tastier (sweeter) than standard non-alpine strawberry.
I'm not sure they're sweeter (in fact I think they're probably less sweet), but it's a very intense flavour, overlain with an almost scented taste. As an addition to yogurt, salads etc, or eaten a few at a time straight from the plant, they're great, but I find a full bowl of them overwhelming.

They retain their taste very well when frozen. I usually pick all I can find, leave them in the fridge for 2 days, and any not eaten go into the deepfreeze. We finished the last of last year's a few days ago.
__________________
Old 19-06-2012, 12:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Oh! I thought that was why they were called 'straw'berries?

There is a body of opinion that says, in times gone by, the plants
were known as "strewn berries" because of the way the berries were
strewn all over the plant and it is from this name that "strawberry"
evolved.

I grow mine in tower thingies so they are off the ground, easy to
protect from sluggies and the like and easy to net from birds. 24
plants take up about 3 square feet of ground which is pretty efficient
use of it.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from Swansea Bay. Dave's at that end; I'm at this end.
Bill G's in the middle. Come to think of it, where is Bill G these days?

I may try that Jake. I certainly "straw" them, but the almost continuous
rain has had its effect.

Old 19-06-2012, 12:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jake wrote in
:

I grow mine in tower thingies so they are off the ground, easy to
protect from sluggies and the like and easy to net from birds. 24
plants take up about 3 square feet of ground which is pretty efficient
use of it.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from Swansea Bay. Dave's at that end; I'm at this end.
Bill G's in the middle. Come to think of it, where is Bill G these days?

It's just remembering to water them isn't it. Easy to forget a day and ruin
them? I mean normally, not this shi**y year, says me wearing a sweater in
summer. It still gets quite a cold feel today in N.Lincs. But improving as
the forecast says.

Baz
Old 19-06-2012, 01:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 19 Jun 2012 11:48:37 GMT, Baz wrote:

Jake wrote in
:

I grow mine in tower thingies so they are off the ground, easy to
protect from sluggies and the like and easy to net from birds. 24
plants take up about 3 square feet of ground which is pretty efficient
use of it.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from Swansea Bay. Dave's at that end; I'm at this end.
Bill G's in the middle. Come to think of it, where is Bill G these days?

It's just remembering to water them isn't it. Easy to forget a day and ruin
them? I mean normally, not this shi**y year, says me wearing a sweater in
summer. It still gets quite a cold feel today in N.Lincs. But improving as
the forecast says.

Baz

I have a drip irrigation system for the wall planters and hanging
baskets. The strawberry towers just happen to be underneath baskets so
get lots of twice daily drips. They are also in "saucers" which hold
about a gallon of water each and which feed up through the tower tiers
with a wick system. So it's just a case of remembering the weekly
feed.

Even with the heavy rain of late, it's surprising how dry tubs,
baskets and planters remain - the foliage sends most of the rain down
to ground beside them.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Old 19-06-2012, 02:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Moonraker wrote:
On 19/06/2012 01:24, Frank wrote:

On the subject of strawberries mine are rotting as they ripen. Probably
the poorest crop yet. Why does our weather go to extremes, is it under
the control of politicians?

Sounds lihe botrytis, which is abundant this year because of the wet
weather. You can actually spray to prevent that occurring, starting at
the flowering stage, but if you don't like the idea of spraying your
plants with fungicide then unless it stays reasonably dry from April to
June, botrytis will probaby show itself. Using straw as a bed for your
fruit will make little difference.

Moving Strawberries Lilac Edible Gardening 1 03-06-2003 05:44 PM
strawberries? H United Kingdom 6 21-02-2003 08:33 PM
Question about strawberries! Claude Gardening 5 06-02-2003 12:48 PM
Indian Strawberries again JLee United Kingdom 3 21-11-2002 02:33 PM
Strawberries? Dwayne United Kingdom 0 16-10-2002 02:27 PM