Old 28-06-2012, 03:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default midlands flooding

Just been reading about more heavy rain and flash floods:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-18624085

Hope everyone is OK, and your gardens too.

In Lower Normandy we are seeing the effects of too much rain on some
plants... while others are very lush after years of spring drought.
Thunder storms headed this way later perhaps, I can see them north on
the radar, looks very heavy indeed. 29C, and very heavy.
Old 28-06-2012, 07:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Emery Davis" wrote in message
Just been reading about more heavy rain and flash floods:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-18624085

Hope everyone is OK, and your gardens too.

I was out in my car today when hailstorms started, first marble sized but
then golfballs and torrential rain started. I pulled into the side of the
road. I felt sure my windscreen or the other windows would be shattered as
they hit the car at huge force and some of the hailstones that my neighbour
captured on his phone camera are 3 inches across.
Lots of flooding, I expect most things in my allotment will have been wiped
out.

My car is dented on the bonnet and roof.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-18626837

Old 28-06-2012, 11:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 28 Jun 2012 19:20:03 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

"Emery Davis" wrote in message
Just been reading about more heavy rain and flash floods:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-18624085

Hope everyone is OK, and your gardens too.

I was out in my car today when hailstorms started, first marble sized but
then golfballs and torrential rain started. I pulled into the side of the
road. I felt sure my windscreen or the other windows would be shattered as
they hit the car at huge force and some of the hailstones that my neighbour
captured on his phone camera are 3 inches across.
Lots of flooding, I expect most things in my allotment will have been wiped
out.

My car is dented on the bonnet and roof.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-18626837

They mentioned those hailstones on the weather forecast. I thought he
was joking! Nasty.

Pam in Bristol
Old 29-06-2012, 06:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

It sounds truly horrible. We actually had sun here today for much of the
day, then threatening grey cloud, then sun again. We went out to supper
tonight and driving home could see quite a misty covering to Dartmoor.
--

I have never experienced any hailstones like those. I got away with the
glass (phew) but my car has been dented. Insurance don't want to cover it.

Old 29-06-2012, 08:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote
Pam Moore said:
"Christina Websell" wrote:
[...]

We went for a picnic on Danebury Hillfort (out Stockbridge way) where you
can see for miles across Hampshire and beyond and whilst the weather was
pleasant enough to sit there, even sunny, the view was very misty.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 29-06-2012, 09:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

The whole thing sounds a bit horrible, first the experience of the
storm, then the experience of the insurance co! I saw a picture of some
hailstones on the beeb, can easily see how those would do for a car.

Sadly I suspect they wont back down, I've heard the "act of God"
argument before. Especially if you've got a deductible, maybe more
trouble than it's worth to fight it. (Depending on how combative the
personality is, of course! )

Old 29-06-2012, 12:48 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emery Davis[_4_] View Post
Just been reading about more heavy rain and flash floods:

BBC News - Flash flooding: Man found dead as downpours cause chaos

Hope everyone is OK, and your gardens too.

In Lower Normandy we are seeing the effects of too much rain on some
plants... while others are very lush after years of spring drought.
Thunder storms headed this way later perhaps, I can see them north on
the radar, looks very heavy indeed. 29C, and very heavy.
We were on a field trip in the Dales last Friday - the day that the Dales had 4 inches of rain. Roads flooded, streams bursting out of the hillside all over the place. Very glad we'd got spare dry clothes in car
__________________
Old 29-06-2012, 01:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 29 Jun 2012 06:09:51 +0100, "Christina Websell"

On 2012-06-28 23:28:20 +0100, Pam Moore

wrote:

[...]

I say read the exclusion clauses in your policy very carefully.

Our Forester was covered when damaged by a branch that fell from a tree in
high wind. Is that not also an act of god?

Mike

Old 29-06-2012, 04:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

'Emery Davis[_4_ Wrote:
;963033']Just been reading about more heavy rain and flash floods:

'BBC News - Flash flooding: Man found dead as downpours cause chaos'
(http://tinyurl.com/897cyeb)

Hope everyone is OK, and your gardens too.

In Lower Normandy we are seeing the effects of too much rain on some
plants... while others are very lush after years of spring drought.
Thunder storms headed this way later perhaps, I can see them north on
the radar, looks very heavy indeed. 29C, and very heavy.

We were on a field trip in the Dales last Friday - the day that the
Dales had 4 inches of rain. Roads flooded, streams bursting out of the
hillside all over the place. Very glad we'd got spare dry clothes in car

On Saturday Harmby waterfall was most spectacular!

Mike
Old 29-06-2012, 05:12 PM
Registered User

Location: Bedfordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddymike[_2_] View Post
On Fri, 29 Jun 2012 06:09:51 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

"Sacha"
On 2012-06-28 23:28:20 +0100, Pam Moore

said:

On Thu, 28 Jun 2012 19:20:03 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

"Emery Davis"
wrote in message
Just been reading about more heavy rain and flash floods:

BBC News - Flash flooding: Man found dead as downpours cause chaos

Hope everyone is OK, and your gardens too.

I was out in my car today when hailstorms started, first marble sized
but
then golfballs and torrential rain started. I pulled into the side of
the
road. I felt sure my windscreen or the other windows would be
shattered
as
they hit the car at huge force and some of the hailstones that my
neighbour
captured on his phone camera are 3 inches across.
Lots of flooding, I expect most things in my allotment will have been
wiped
out.

My car is dented on the bonnet and roof.
BBC News - Leicestershire hit by strong winds, rain and hailstorms

[...]

Apparently it was all the fault of the Spanish, they decided to send a parcel of hot air up to us just at the same time as the Icelanders were sending down a blast of cool air to us from the Arctic. :-)

Old 29-06-2012, 06:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Friday, 29 June 2012 06:09:51 UTC+1, Christina Websell wrote:
I have never experienced any hailstones like those. I got away with the
glass (phew) but my car has been dented. Insurance don't want to cover it.
They say it was an Act of God and they cannot be responsible for that.
I say if I pay my insurance money, they should pay up.
What do you think?

It's about time the OFT had a look at these clauses. It's silly and iniquitous that companies should get away with such things in these more enlightened times.
We take out insurance against unexpected events and no unreasonable exclusions should be allowed in the contracts. Not much point in 'comprehensive' cover otherwise.

Rod
Old 29-06-2012, 11:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-06-29 06:09:51 +0100, "Christina Websell"

On 2012-06-28 23:28:20 +0100, Pam Moore

wrote:

[...]

If it's in your insurance policy that you're not covered against Acts
of God they're absolutely right.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Surely they would have to prove that God exists?

Rog
http:\\rog.pynguins.com

Old 29-06-2012, 11:25 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod[_5_] View Post
On Friday, 29 June 2012 06:09:51 UTC+1, Christina Websell wrote:
I have never experienced any hailstones like those. I got away with the
glass (phew) but my car has been dented. Insurance don't want to cover it.
They say it was an Act of God and they cannot be responsible for that.
I say if I pay my insurance money, they should pay up.
What do you think?

It's about time the OFT had a look at these clauses. It's silly and iniquitous that companies should get away with such things in these more enlightened times.
We take out insurance against unexpected events and no unreasonable exclusions should be allowed in the contracts. Not much point in 'comprehensive' cover otherwise.

Rod
But you have to look at it from their point of view too. They have to be able to statistically quantify the risks so they can set the premiums at a level where they can cover all claims and make a profit. If they can't work out the probability of an event happening, then they risk going out of business if they cover it. And if they can quantify it, but the expected loss to them is large, then they'll have to increase premiums,
__________________
Old 30-06-2012, 09:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 29/06/2012 23:25, kay wrote:
'Rod[_5_ Wrote:
;963125']On Friday, 29 June 2012 06:09:51 UTC+1, Christina Websell
wrote:-
[...]

According to an Insurance spokesman on "Breakfast" on TV a short whilst
ago he said that those with Fully Comprehensive insurance would be
covered for the Hail damage to cars.

Old 30-06-2012, 08:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-06-28 23:28:20 +0100, Pam Moore

wrote:

[...]

I did push them a bit more later as I have fully comp and they backed down
to a certain extent. They *will* pay but I will lose 2 years no claims
bonus (even through it's protected) and my excess will go up next year if I
claim.
I've decided not to bother as it's not worth the hassle and it's an oldish
car.
There are 4 dents in the bonnet and two on the roof, I'll live with it, the
paintwork is intact. I've had the car for 8 years and intend to keep it
until it passes away, it is very reliable (French ;-p) only sips petrol and
never fails to start first time.

My next door neighbour is fighting her insurance company over the same
thing. Her car is more badly damaged than mine, slightly younger than mine
and has only done 30,000 miles. She thinks it's worth losing no claims
bonus, increased excess and more costly premium next year over.

Tina