Old 18-07-2012, 03:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Attn: steerpike

"Jake" wrote in message
On Wed, 18 Jul 2012 09:38:04 +0100, "Ophelia"
wrote:

O, in the north
--

Wet here today in soggy mid-South Wales but the forecast shows the
rain clearing tomorrow from the east which is good as I'll be working

Then, if the Met Office is to be believed, dry until at least 27 July.

Trouble is that I'll then be able to get out into the garden and,
after a few dry days, get onto the borders and beds (clay soil so
waterlogged at the moment) to clear out the dead stuff. I'll be crying
as I do it! Anything herbaceous looks like living without flowering at
best; a lot is clearly rotting from the ground up.

Oh, Jake I feel so sorry for you. At least I don't have those problems.

But I know a lot of people have been a lot worse off than me so
hey-ho, there's always next year.

True enough but it doesn't mean I can't be heart sorry for you!

If we get any good weather up here, i will chase it down to you!

Atm we have strong winds. Sun/showers a mix.

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 18-07-2012, 04:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Potatoes

On Wed, 18 Jul 2012 10:25:03 GMT, Baz wrote:

When I was a teenager I always went into the chemist shop an came out
with a bottle of shampoo! I think I am still using those bottles now. ;-(
Now THAT is embarassement.

Baz

I once went into a chemist with my girlfriend. The chemist asked which
size I wanted - small, medium or large. I came out with a family size
bottle of Vosene.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from the East End of Swansea Bay where sometimes
it's raining and sometimes it's not.
Old 18-07-2012, 05:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jake" wrote in message
On Wed, 18 Jul 2012 10:25:03 GMT, Baz wrote:

When I was a teenager I always went into the chemist shop an came out
with a bottle of shampoo! I think I am still using those bottles now. ;-(
Now THAT is embarassement.

Baz

I once went into a chemist with my girlfriend. The chemist asked which
size I wanted - small, medium or large. I came out with a family size
bottle of Vosene.

lolol

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 18-07-2012, 05:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Kathy" wrote

"Ophelia" wrote

OK here it is! If you want to grow potatoes in a tub - do you fill up
the
tub with soil and then stick the potatoes right down the bottom, or do
you
put in a wee amount, plant the potatoes and await their growth. If so,
how
do you add the extra soil to bring it up to the top? Do you just lob it
onto
the plants which are growing?

Btw the nasties can take a running jump g

I put in about one third soil and planted the spuds in that. As they grew
I added more soil, just like earthing up. Worked quite well, but the spuds
were rather small. If I do it again, I'll only put in two seed spuds, not
the four recommended.

That could just be down to variety Kathy, which variety did you try?
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 18-07-2012, 10:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
[...]

I tried pink fir apple. My cousin tried cara and got small spuds using
four.

--
Kathy

Old 19-07-2012, 07:17 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy View Post

I tried pink fir apple. My cousin tried cara and got small spuds using
four.
The last couple of years I've grown Sarpo Mira which is supposed to be slug resistant, and it's done rather well in that respect. I put 2-4 spuds in a tub about 18 inches across.
__________________
Old 19-07-2012, 10:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Kathy" wrote in message
"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
[...]

When you will plant the next lot? I am most interested in what you plant
too

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 20-07-2012, 11:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ophelia" wrote in message

"Kathy" wrote in message
"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
[...]

I'm not planning on growing any in planters for a while. I have kestrel,
king Edwards and cara in the ground at the moment.

--
Kathy

Old 21-07-2012, 05:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Kathy" wrote in message
"Ophelia" wrote in message

"Kathy" wrote in message
"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
[...]

I would be grateful if you can flag up what and when you do so. umm iyswim

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 21-07-2012, 07:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Ophelia wrote:
I'm not planning on growing any in planters for a while. I have kestrel,
king Edwards and cara in the ground at the moment.

I would be grateful if you can flag up what and when you do so. umm iyswim

We have kestrel, but they're nowhere near ready to dig up yet.
I'm sticking to taking up the earlies as and when they're needed, and
we have plenty to go still, but the 2nds and mains are well behind atm.
I still have most of the rocket, all of the, er, whatever the second
lot of 1sts are, and charlotte to go before Kestrel should be ready.

Have you had any flowers yet?

Old 23-07-2012, 12:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
Ophelia wrote:
I'm not planning on growing any in planters for a while. I have
kestrel,
king Edwards and cara in the ground at the moment.

I would be grateful if you can flag up what and when you do so. umm
iyswim

We have kestrel, but they're nowhere near ready to dig up yet.
I'm sticking to taking up the earlies as and when they're needed, and
we have plenty to go still, but the 2nds and mains are well behind atm.
I still have most of the rocket, all of the, er, whatever the second
lot of 1sts are, and charlotte to go before Kestrel should be ready.

Have you had any flowers yet?

Oh yes, over and done with. Am digging the kestrels and getting good
returns. I'm afraid I'm not one of those that weighs everything, but one
plant is doing me at least a weeks worth of spuds easily.

--
Kathy