Old 17-07-2012, 07:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Attn: steerpike

On Tue, 17 Jul 2012 19:10:58 +0100, David Hill
wrote:

And with a day of fog and on and off drizzle we need something to cheer
us up, promise I wont laugh out loud, well not loud enough for you to hear.
David @ a foggy and damp end of Swansea Bay where November seem to have
set in.

A real pea-souper fog at this end of the Bay. Used both front and back
fog lamps on the car for the first time since I bought it 5 years ago!
Now I think the correct term would be misty with nasty drizzly stuff.
But things look promising from Friday, assuming the jet stream
continues its northward movement.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from the East End of Swansea Bay where sometimes
it's raining and sometimes it's not.
Old 17-07-2012, 08:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Potatoes

On 2012-07-17 16:50:10 +0100, "Ophelia" said:

"Baz" wrote in message

Very nicely put, Sacha! In my case I am nervous about asking
questions so basic that our Baz will guffaw at me!

Our Baz has never "guffawed" at you. Have I? Not a chance of that. I
thought that we have got on great! If I have written anything that has
insulted or annoyed you. Sorry.

Nahh don't be daft! You have never guffawed at me! T'was a joke dear
Baz, I
promise

Although if you knew what my question is you just might and I wouldn't
blame
you) If Sacha thinks I might not get laughed at too much, I might
post it

--

Oh go on - we're all dying with curiosity now!!

And with a day of fog and on and off drizzle we need something to cheer us
up, promise I wont laugh out loud, well not loud enough for you to hear.
David @ a foggy and damp end of Swansea Bay where November seem to have
set in.

Oh go on, laugh out loud if you want, just remember I am very much a newby

OK here it is! If you want to grow potatoes in a tub - do you fill up the
tub with soil and then stick the potatoes right down the bottom, or do you
put in a wee amount, plant the potatoes and await their growth. If so, how
do you add the extra soil to bring it up to the top? Do you just lob it onto
the plants which are growing?

Btw the nasties can take a running jump g

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 17-07-2012, 10:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-07-17 16:50:10 +0100, "Ophelia" said:

"Baz" wrote in message

[...]

I put in about one third soil and planted the spuds in that. As they grew I
added more soil, just like earthing up. Worked quite well, but the spuds
were rather small. If I do it again, I'll only put in two seed spuds, not
the four recommended.

--
Kathy

Old 18-07-2012, 01:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ophelia" wrote in message

OK here it is! If you want to grow potatoes in a tub - do you fill up the
tub with soil and then stick the potatoes right down the bottom, or do you
put in a wee amount, plant the potatoes and await their growth. If so,
how
do you add the extra soil to bring it up to the top? Do you just lob it
onto
the plants which are growing?

Btw the nasties can take a running jump g

You put the potatoes in a small amount of soil at the bottom of the tub
(cover them with soil, obviously) and when they poke up some foliage, put
some more soil on so the leaves are just poking through. Wait until it
grows a bit more and do it again. Continue doing that until the soil
reaches reaches the top of your tub.
Didn't laugh at you, did I?
A wise word from my grandmother "remember no-one is born knowing
everything, they need teaching by those who know"

Old 18-07-2012, 09:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-07-17 16:50:10 +0100, "Ophelia" said:

"Baz" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks very much, Kathy

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 18-07-2012, 09:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"Ophelia" wrote in message

OK here it is! If you want to grow potatoes in a tub - do you fill up
the
tub with soil and then stick the potatoes right down the bottom, or do
you
put in a wee amount, plant the potatoes and await their growth. If so,
how
do you add the extra soil to bring it up to the top? Do you just lob it
onto
the plants which are growing?

Btw the nasties can take a running jump g

You put the potatoes in a small amount of soil at the bottom of the tub
(cover them with soil, obviously) and when they poke up some foliage, put
some more soil on so the leaves are just poking through. Wait until it
grows a bit more and do it again. Continue doing that until the soil
reaches reaches the top of your tub.

Thank you

Didn't laugh at you, did I?

You certainly did not

A wise word from my grandmother "remember no-one is born knowing
everything, they need teaching by those who know"

That'll be me then)

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 18-07-2012, 09:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-07-17 17:21:20 +0100, "Ophelia" said:

"Baz" wrote in message
"Ophelia" wrote in
:

"Baz" wrote in message

Very nicely put, Sacha! In my case I am nervous about asking
questions so basic that our Baz will guffaw at me!

Our Baz has never "guffawed" at you. Have I? Not a chance of that.
thought that we have got on great! If I have written anything that
has insulted or annoyed you. Sorry.

Nahh don't be daft! You have never guffawed at me! T'was a joke dear
Baz, I promise

Although if you knew what my question is you just might and I
wouldn't
blame you) If Sacha thinks I might not get laughed at too much, I
might post it

Well, it's about potatoes grown in a tub... does your email work?

--

The address you have should work but I've had problems in the last
couple of hours.

I meant Baz You should already have it g
--

Now I'm confused and I think my email is still not working propely,
blastit.

Ok I am sending you a test!

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 18-07-2012, 09:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

And with a day of fog and on and off drizzle we need something to cheer
us up, promise I wont laugh out loud, well not loud enough for you to
hear.
David @ a foggy and damp end of Swansea Bay where November seem to have
set in.

A real pea-souper fog at this end of the Bay. Used both front and back
fog lamps on the car for the first time since I bought it 5 years ago!
Now I think the correct term would be misty with nasty drizzly stuff.
But things look promising from Friday, assuming the jet stream
continues its northward movement.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from the East End of Swansea Bay where sometimes
it's raining and sometimes it's not.

Bit dull but mostly sun today and certainly humid sort of warmth.
Apparently, the jetstream is moving north. We may get lucky boys and
girls!

*mutter*

O, in the north

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 18-07-2012, 09:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ophelia" wrote in message

[...]

There you are. That didn't hurt! ;-)

Yers I just thought it must be so basic ...

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 18-07-2012, 10:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message

Sorry, nothing! But other mails came through this morning so if you want
to, try again!

I sent from both addresses again so perhaps I am in your naughty bin?

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 18-07-2012, 10:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-07-18 09:36:32 +0100, "Ophelia" said:

"Christina Websell" wrote in
message ...

"Ophelia" wrote in message

[...]

Not at all. Lots of people are new to growing their own food and its
popularity has increased rapidly lately.

That is a relief to know and I won't be embarrassed to ask any more

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 18-07-2012, 11:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ophelia" wrote in
:

Didn't laugh at you, did I?

You certainly did not

A wise word from my grandmother "remember no-one is born knowing
everything, they need teaching by those who know"

That'll be me then)
--

There you are. That didn't hurt! ;-)

Yers I just thought it must be so basic ...
--

Not at all. Lots of people are new to growing their own food and its
popularity has increased rapidly lately.

That is a relief to know and I won't be embarrassed to ask any more

When I was a teenager I always went into the chemist shop an came out
with a bottle of shampoo! I think I am still using those bottles now. ;-(
Now THAT is embarassement.

Baz
Old 18-07-2012, 11:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 18 Jul 2012 09:38:04 +0100, "Ophelia"
wrote:

O, in the north
--

Wet here today in soggy mid-South Wales but the forecast shows the
rain clearing tomorrow from the east which is good as I'll be working

Then, if the Met Office is to be believed, dry until at least 27 July.

Trouble is that I'll then be able to get out into the garden and,
after a few dry days, get onto the borders and beds (clay soil so
waterlogged at the moment) to clear out the dead stuff. I'll be crying
as I do it! Anything herbaceous looks like living without flowering at
best; a lot is clearly rotting from the ground up.

But I know a lot of people have been a lot worse off than me so
hey-ho, there's always next year.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Old 18-07-2012, 03:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-07-18 10:31:41 +0100, "Ophelia" said:

"Sacha" wrote in message

Sorry, nothing! But other mails came through this morning so if you
want to, try again!

I sent from both addresses again so perhaps I am in your naughty bin?

--

No and I got the test one and said it had arrived.

Yes you did. I wonder what happened to the others. Must be your mail
server is playing up

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 18-07-2012, 03:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote in message
"Ophelia" wrote in
:

Didn't laugh at you, did I?

You certainly did not

A wise word from my grandmother "remember no-one is born knowing
everything, they need teaching by those who know"

That'll be me then)
--

There you are. That didn't hurt! ;-)

Yers I just thought it must be so basic ...
--

Not at all. Lots of people are new to growing their own food and its
popularity has increased rapidly lately.

That is a relief to know and I won't be embarrassed to ask any more

When I was a teenager I always went into the chemist shop an came out
with a bottle of shampoo! I think I am still using those bottles now. ;-(
Now THAT is embarassement.

rofl

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/