Old 19-07-2012, 10:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default What's the point of continuing?

with my allotment this year? I chose a bad year to start.
It is throwing down with rain as we speak, Again.
Might get a few courgettes as they love big rain. But some of them are like
conjoined twins.

Old 19-07-2012, 10:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19/07/2012 22:27, Christina Websell wrote:
with my allotment this year? I chose a bad year to start.
It is throwing down with rain as we speak, Again.
Might get a few courgettes as they love big rain. But some of them are like
conjoined twins.

Oh, don't give up now, Tina! The weather should improve over the next
few days. We've all lost a lot of plants, decoratives as well as crops.
I'm personally trying to keep up with weeding and clearing ground for
next year. Planning ahead is the most hopeful thing we can do at the
moment. When the warmer weather comes, we may all discover that our
losses are not as bad as we think.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
Old 19-07-2012, 11:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message
On 19/07/2012 22:27, Christina Websell wrote:
with my allotment this year? I chose a bad year to start.
It is throwing down with rain as we speak, Again.
Might get a few courgettes as they love big rain. But some of them are
like
conjoined twins.

Oh, don't give up now, Tina! The weather should improve over the next few
days. We've all lost a lot of plants, decoratives as well as crops. I'm
personally trying to keep up with weeding and clearing ground for next
year. Planning ahead is the most hopeful thing we can do at the moment.
When the warmer weather comes, we may all discover that our losses are not
as bad as we think.

I am very discouraged, we've worked really hard. The hailstorm damaged a
lot of it. But you are right, onwards and upwards! Got ten pods of peas
and enough radishes for a big salad today. Pulled the first carrot and gave
it to my sister in law as she sowed them as a complete newbie and thought
they would be up and eatable within 3 weeks.
I bored her today with potato blight, smith periods, and how I get texts
about risks.
Since I signed up last week I have had three blight alerts
I destroyed the blighted foliage I had and up to now the rest of the
earlies seem Ok

Old 20-07-2012, 01:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-07-19 22:27:44 +0100, "Christina Websell"
said:

with my allotment this year? I chose a bad year to start.
It is throwing down with rain as we speak, Again.
Might get a few courgettes as they love big rain. But some of them are
like
conjoined twins.

The forecast is improving, it really is!
--

I hope so. Rain has seemed to be concentrated on Leicestershire recently.
It is now 12.50 am and still chucking it down.

Old 20-07-2012, 07:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Christina Websell wrote:

with my allotment this year? I chose a bad year to start.
It is throwing down with rain as we speak, Again.
Might get a few courgettes as they love big rain. But some of them are like
conjoined twins.

This has been a wonderful year for soft fruit. My strawberries have
cropped wonderfully well, and provided many pickings of fruit. My
loganberries and black currants have also done very well. I am now
waiting on the autumn fruiting raspberries, and they look very good at
the present.

My vegetables have done less well, and yet the potatoes are not bad,
browad beans so so, summer cabbage OK and salad crops very poor.

So all in all, not too bad, and the allotment is worth the rent, for
this year anyway.

I'm in Cornwall, so we've had our share of wet weather this year.

Peter
--
It is necessary for the good man to do nothing for evil to triumph.

Attributed to Edmund Burke 1729 - 1797

Old 20-07-2012, 09:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20/07/2012 07:46, Peter James wrote:
Christina Websell wrote:

with my allotment this year? I chose a bad year to start.
It is throwing down with rain as we speak, Again.
Might get a few courgettes as they love big rain. But some of them are like
conjoined twins.

This has been a wonderful year for soft fruit. My strawberries have
cropped wonderfully well, and provided many pickings of fruit. My
loganberries and black currants have also done very well. I am now
waiting on the autumn fruiting raspberries, and they look very good at
the present.

My vegetables have done less well, and yet the potatoes are not bad,
browad beans so so, summer cabbage OK and salad crops very poor.

So all in all, not too bad, and the allotment is worth the rent, for
this year anyway.

I'm in Cornwall, so we've had our share of wet weather this year.

Peter

You think you have problems?
I've managed to get about 5% of my dahlia stock planted so far, that
leaves almost 3000 to get planted, If I have any problems with them now
that will be me finished as a dahlia grower.
They should have been planted out in June, as it is I cant get a machine
on the ground to prepare for planting, where I have prepared the soil is
now so firm you'd think it hadn't been rotovated.
" days ago water was running down the field and not a hope in hell of
getting anywhere near the ground.
If it stays frost free till late Nov then just possibly I will have
stock tubers for next year.
David @ the sodden end of Swansea Bay.
Old 20-07-2012, 10:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Peter James wrote:
This has been a wonderful year for soft fruit. My strawberries have
cropped wonderfully well, and provided many pickings of fruit. My
loganberries and black currants have also done very well. I am now
waiting on the autumn fruiting raspberries, and they look very good at
the present.

Our currants are doing well, and I've had a couple of really nice
raspberries already from the autumns (or else there are a couple of
summers accidentally planted in with them - except the autumns were
all cut down to ground this winter, so summers should /not/ be in
fruit this year!)

The strawberries were going well, but then they got too damp during
the fruiting season, so after one or two really nice pickings, they
all went to mush and started picking up mould. :-(

Old 20-07-2012, 12:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 19 Jul 2012 22:27:44 +0100, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

with my allotment this year? I chose a bad year to start.
It is throwing down with rain as we speak, Again.
Might get a few courgettes as they love big rain. But some of them are like
conjoined twins.

Don't give it up or give up on it!
Get some seeds in pot. They've promised us sun soon!
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Old 20-07-2012, 01:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-07-19 22:27:44 +0100, "Christina Websell"
said:

with my allotment this year? I chose a bad year to start.
It is throwing down with rain as we speak, Again.
Might get a few courgettes as they love big rain. But some of them
are like conjoined twins.

The forecast is improving, it really is!

The forecast may be improving! But the weather isn't! Not here anyway. And
of course its raining. It is always raining here this summer, as it was in
spring. We have had some very cool nights as well recently. Not July
weather as I know it.

Baz
Old 20-07-2012, 03:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote in message
with my allotment this year? I chose a bad year to start.
It is throwing down with rain as we speak, Again.
Might get a few courgettes as they love big rain. But some of them are
like conjoined twins.

Oh Tina, I am so sorry. I have no words to help because I am a complete
novice but I do feel for you

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 20-07-2012, 03:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-07-19 22:27:44 +0100, "Christina Websell"
said:

with my allotment this year? I chose a bad year to start.
It is throwing down with rain as we speak, Again.
Might get a few courgettes as they love big rain. But some of them
are like conjoined twins.

The forecast is improving, it really is!

The forecast may be improving! But the weather isn't! Not here anyway. And
of course its raining. It is always raining here this summer, as it was in
spring. We have had some very cool nights as well recently. Not July
weather as I know it.

Baz, I wanted to ask, how is the clear up going?

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 20-07-2012, 06:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thursday, 19 July 2012 22:27:44 UTC+1, Christina Websell wrote:
with my allotment this year? I chose a bad year to start.
It is throwing down with rain as we speak, Again.
Might get a few courgettes as they love big rain. But some of them are like
conjoined twins.

Yes, because there's always next year.
You have to be about 110 to remember a worse year than this so next year is going to be better........................isn't it?

Rod
Old 21-07-2012, 07:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

with my allotment this year? I chose a bad year to start.
It is throwing down with rain as we speak, Again.
Might get a few courgettes as they love big rain. But some of them are
like
conjoined twins.

Don't give it up or give up on it!

I can't give the ground up - it's mine! I was feeling very discouraged when
I posted this, but have picked a few radishes, and a few peas for tomorrow's
dinner so feeling a bit better ;-)

Get some seeds in pot. They've promised us sun soon!

What seeds do you suggest planting in pots now? I assume you mean for
transplanting out?
It has not rained today, did rain quite heavily overnight though. A strange
yellow orb appeared in the sky at 5 pm and is still there..

Old 21-07-2012, 07:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ophelia" wrote in message

"Christina Websell" wrote in message
with my allotment this year? I chose a bad year to start.
It is throwing down with rain as we speak, Again.
Might get a few courgettes as they love big rain. But some of them are
like conjoined twins.

Oh Tina, I am so sorry. I have no words to help because I am a complete
novice but I do feel for you
--

Thanks, O. A little bit of sympathy helps when I am feeling so discouraged.
Onwards and upwards again now.

Old 21-07-2012, 08:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ophelia" wrote in message

[...]

lol well you have had encouragement from posters here and I am sure they are
right

I look forward to reading in the future about sumptuous crops when you can
feed more than that family of six)

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/