Old 21-07-2012, 11:32 AM
graf's Avatar
Registered User

Location: Dungannon
Question Can anyone identify these two plants for me?

Hi, I was cleaning a neighbours' roof gutter out a couple of months ago and came across two little plants growing out of it. seemed a shame to throw them away as they didnt look like weeds, also I wanted to give them a chance and see what they would turn out like. I think they are two varieties of shrub and at the moment stand just over a foot tall in length each. Would love to put a name to these two, and hope that they will bloom maybe next year. If anyone does know what these are, I would also be great full for any sound advice on pruning and winter care,
Many thanks in advance

Graf
Attached Thumbnails
Can anyone identify these two plants for me?-2012-07-21-10.29.25.jpg   Can anyone identify these two plants for me?-2012-07-21-10.29.02.jpg
Old 21-07-2012, 04:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Can anyone identify these two plants for me?

In message , graf
writes

Hi, I was cleaning a neighbours' roof gutter out a couple of months ago
and came across two little plants growing out of it. seemed a shame to
throw them away as they didnt look like weeds, also I wanted to give
them a chance and see what they would turn out like. I think they are
two varieties of shrub and at the moment stand just over a foot tall in
length each. Would love to put a name to these two, and hope that they
will bloom maybe next year. If anyone does know what these are, I would
also be great full for any sound advice on pruning and winter care,
Many thanks in advance

Graf

|Filename: 2012-07-21 10.29.25.jpg |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15178|

One of the dogwoods (Cornus sp.), I think. Produces white flowers in
spring, and white or black berries later in the year. I think that this
is one of the white-berried forms.

|Filename: 2012-07-21 10.29.02.jpg |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15179|

Goat willow (Salix caprea). It produces catkins in early spring.
However, willows are notorious for causing damage to foundations and
drains. Goat willow isn't as bad as some, but I don't think you want it
there.

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 21-07-2012, 05:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21/07/2012 16:40, Stewart Robert Hinsley wrote:
In message , graf
writes

Hi, I was cleaning a neighbours' roof gutter out a couple of months ago
and came across two little plants growing out of it. seemed a shame to
throw them away as they didnt look like weeds, also I wanted to give
them a chance and see what they would turn out like. I think they are
two varieties of shrub and at the moment stand just over a foot tall in
length each. Would love to put a name to these two, and hope that they
will bloom maybe next year. If anyone does know what these are, I would
also be great full for any sound advice on pruning and winter care,
Many thanks in advance

Graf

|Filename: 2012-07-21 10.29.25.jpg |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15178|

One of the dogwoods (Cornus sp.), I think. Produces white flowers in
spring, and white or black berries later in the year. I think that this
is one of the white-berried forms.

|Filename: 2012-07-21 10.29.02.jpg |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15179|

Goat willow (Salix caprea). It produces catkins in early spring.
However, willows are notorious for causing damage to foundations and
drains. Goat willow isn't as bad as some, but I don't think you want it
there.

I'll go with both of those, but the willow I'd cut into bits and bin, it
will give you years of trouble if you grow it.
Old 21-07-2012, 07:26 PM
Registered User

The first picture looks like mint to me but I'm sure you would smell it especially if you disturbed it, the other one I have no idea.
Old 21-07-2012, 09:03 PM
graf's Avatar
Registered User

Location: Dungannon
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by uklude View Post
The first picture looks like mint to me but I'm sure you would smell it especially if you disturbed it, the other one I have no idea.
no, defiantly not a mint. got one of those growing in back garden. the 2nd plant seems to have a woody like stem starting to form as it gets bigger. oh well, never mind. maybe they'll become more identifiable as they get bigger. thanks anyway UKLUDE

Old 21-07-2012, 09:28 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by graf View Post
no, defiantly not a mint. got one of those growing in back garden. the 2nd plant seems to have a woody like stem starting to form as it gets bigger. oh well, never mind. maybe they'll become more identifiable as they get bigger. thanks anyway UKLUDE
Definitely not a mint. The second one I think is a willow, which won't do anything interesting until it gets large.
__________________
Old 22-07-2012, 05:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"kay" wrote in message

graf;965088 Wrote:
no, defiantly not a mint. got one of those growing in back garden. the
2nd plant seems to have a woody like stem starting to form as it gets
bigger. oh well, never mind. maybe they'll become more identifiable as
they get bigger. thanks anyway UKLUDE

Definitely not a mint. The second one I think is a willow, which won't
do anything interesting until it gets large.

kay

The only interesting thing goat willow does is damage drains!
1st pic looks like a Cornus, second is definitely a Willow.

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 23-07-2012, 09:50 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Pridham[_2_] View Post
The only interesting thing goat willow does is damage drains!
It has pussies, doesn't it? Or is that a different willow?
__________________
Old 24-07-2012, 12:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , kay
writes

'Charlie Pridham[_2_ Wrote:
;965184']
The only interesting thing goat willow does is damage drains!

It has pussies, doesn't it? Or is that a different willow?

It is goat willow (male ones, so he only has a 50% chance), but I'm not
sure that it's only goat willow. Wikipedia claims that it's grey willow
as well, and other species.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pussy_willow

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 24-07-2012, 09:03 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Yes, other species produce pussies too. I thought Goat Willow was one, but I make silly mistakes late at night. I have one in my garden which, to my delight, proved to be male. Much more robust than grafted Kilmarnock willows.
__________________

Old 24-07-2012, 12:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Stewart Robert Hinsley
writes
Goat willow (Salix caprea). It produces catkins in early spring.
However, willows are notorious for causing damage to foundations and
drains. Goat willow isn't as bad as some, but I don't think you want it
there.

Oh I would have said wild apple or cherry tree? Grows in my pots all
the time.
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph