Old 15-09-2012, 10:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default New greenhouse

In article ,
kay wrote:

I guess the reason I get by without floor vents is that I keep the
doors
open once the weather warms up. Floor vents aren't a lot of use if
you've got the under-staging area crammed with pots, compost etc.-

You have to be around all of the time to do that.

Once I open the doors (in early June) they seem to stay open all by
themselves ;-)

The latest spring frost that I have had in Cambridge was the night
of June 20th one year. People in colder parts of the country can
have frosts at any time.

And a lot of the more tender species can be seriously knocked back by
even quite moderate cold snaps when young - which is why people grow
them on in greenhouses. I had problems this year even in my fairly
warm conservatory, because I had the vents open - nothing serious,
but several of them lost a couple of weeks.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 15-09-2012, 01:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2012-09-14 11:57:08 +0100, David Hill
said:

On 14/09/2012 09:33, Jeff Layman wrote:
I'm about to buy a new greenhouse - plain aluminium and toughened glass.
At least 8 x 10.

There seem to be several makes available (Halls, Robinsons, Eden, Elite,
etc) which all seem to be very similar. Any recommendations or things
to avoid from experience?

TIA

In the "Old days" we reckoned that 1/8th of the roof as vents.

Ray remembers 1/6th in aluminium greenhouses. Our big double is 50' by
100' and has roof vents and two double doors one one side but no side
vents. Seems to work. He reckons that side vents in a smaller, domestic
set up might be a good idea but in this instance, size does matter. ;-)
If we think of those pretty greenhouses seen in older house's gardens,
many of them are long and narrow and have side windows that open. PS Why
do I know these roof vents as 'lights' from my CI childhood? I don't
think I know anyone over here that calls them that. Or does it perhaps
have another meaning I've forgotten?

The top windows in attics used to be called skylights in my childhood. I
don't know about now.

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 15-09-2012, 08:48 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

We're more west than you, and probably higher up, so that although we are in a local frost pocket, we're still at least 350ft above the valley floor. So quite possibly have less frost problem.

The greenhouse is for cacti, for overwintering things that will be outside in the summer, and for veg that people in more favoured and less slug-ridden areas would grow outside. So once the weather has warmed up, I can just leave the doors open. I can see that you might have more of a problem.
__________________
Old 17-09-2012, 09:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha
writes

PS Why do I know these roof vents as 'lights' from my CI childhood? I
don't think I know anyone over here that calls them that. Or does it
perhaps have another meaning I've forgotten?

I've frequently heard windows referred to as 'lights' in the building
trade.

--
regards andyw

HELP PLEASE - What Grape Vine For New Greenhouse Jon[_9_] United Kingdom 16 08-04-2009 09:52 AM
New greenhouse..... r.p.mcmurphy United Kingdom 5 23-02-2005 11:41 AM
Greenhouse - new or 2nd hand? Mark Allison United Kingdom 8 27-04-2003 09:56 PM
a new greenhouse AB United Kingdom 2 25-04-2003 07:08 AM
new little greenhouse, enough light? daniel bach Orchids 3 23-03-2003 05:56 PM