Old 17-09-2012, 03:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default coals to Newcastle

no, tomato`s to Edinburgh. When my 5 year old granddaughter comes to stay
with us during the summer, one of her favourite things is to stand in the
greenhouse eating the fresh toms. This year she was disappointed because we
did not have any ready to eat. I rashly promised her that when they were
ready I would send some up to her by post, today I have been able to do just
that, the toms are ripening thick and fast and I know she will be thrilled
to get them.

granny Kate :-)

Old 18-09-2012, 09:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 17/09/2012 15:07, Kate Morgan wrote:
no, tomato`s to Edinburgh. When my 5 year old granddaughter comes to
stay with us during the summer, one of her favourite things is to stand
in the greenhouse eating the fresh toms. This year she was disappointed
because we did not have any ready to eat. I rashly promised her that
when they were ready I would send some up to her by post, today I have
been able to do just that, the toms are ripening thick and fast and I
know she will be thrilled to get them.

granny Kate :-)

Ah Granny, but they do not taste the same.
Old 18-09-2012, 12:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Kate Morgan" wrote in
o.uk:

no, tomato`s to Edinburgh. When my 5 year old granddaughter comes
to stay with us during the summer, one of her favourite things is to
stand in the greenhouse eating the fresh toms. This year she was
disappointed because we did not have any ready to eat. I rashly
promised her that when they were ready I would send some up to her by
post, today I have been able to do just that, the toms are ripening
thick and fast and I know she will be thrilled to get them.

granny Kate :-)

Our outdoor Gardeners Delight are ripening thick and fast too. A late
harvest and only allowed 2 trusses per plant.
Our 2 grandchildren pick and eat them like sweeties. Keeps them happy for
ages.

grandad Baz :-)
Old 18-09-2012, 12:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
CT CT is offline

Baz wrote:

Our outdoor Gardeners Delight are ripening thick and fast too. A late
harvest and only allowed 2 trusses per plant.

Mine are ripening nicely - albeit on the windowsill! I had a load of
nice green toms but the plant was beyond its best and too weary to keep
holding them all up.

--
Chris
Old 18-09-2012, 12:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Baz wrote:
Our outdoor Gardeners Delight are ripening thick and fast too. A late
harvest and only allowed 2 trusses per plant.

Lucky you didn't get blighted! Although I've found GD seem to hold up better
than some - especially the bigger tomatoes.

Old 18-09-2012, 01:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"CT" wrote in news:abr4p3Fko3oU1
@mid.individual.net:

Baz wrote:

Our outdoor Gardeners Delight are ripening thick and fast too. A late
harvest and only allowed 2 trusses per plant.

Mine are ripening nicely - albeit on the windowsill! I had a load of
nice green toms but the plant was beyond its best and too weary to keep
holding them all up.

Well, that sums up this particularly bad year. Too weary. Don't lose heart!

Nothing wrong with a windowsill so long as they have water,feed,
ventilation and are south facing.

Baz
Old 18-09-2012, 01:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
CT CT is offline

Baz wrote:

Nothing wrong with a windowsill so long as they have water,feed,
ventilation and are south facing.

Not the plants - just the toms. On a plate.

--
Chris
Old 18-09-2012, 01:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in
:

Baz wrote:
Our outdoor Gardeners Delight are ripening thick and fast too. A late
harvest and only allowed 2 trusses per plant.

Lucky you didn't get blighted! Although I've found GD seem to hold up
better than some - especially the bigger tomatoes.

I have not yet found the larger tom as tasty as the cherry type. For me
there is no comparison. GD and Sweet Million are to me and my family the
best by far.

Baz
Old 18-09-2012, 01:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"CT" wrote in news:abr7d7Flc34U1
@mid.individual.net:

Baz wrote:

Nothing wrong with a windowsill so long as they have water,feed,
ventilation and are south facing.

Not the plants - just the toms. On a plate.

Ah. I see.

Baz
Old 18-09-2012, 01:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Baz wrote:
Nothing wrong with a windowsill so long as they have water,feed,
ventilation and are south facing.

Not the plants - just the toms. On a plate.

Ah. I see.

I read it the same way as you, Baz. :-)

Speaking of windowsills, I need to bring all my little fuchsias in
and to start making cuttings and cuttings of geraniums and find
somewhere to put them. Will a south facing window be too hot for
them during sunny times? They run the risk of seriously drying out
if I do that. Or shall I empty a north-facing one? (I have a lot
more south-facing window than north-facing, and the north-facing
ones are mostly full of orchids and african violets)

I can start off in the greenhouse, but the greenhouse gets too cold
for non-hardys during the bleak midwinter (well, more like the bleaker
end-winter, tbh). I'd like to try and save as many varieties of
fuchsia as possible this year

Old 18-09-2012, 01:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Baz wrote:
Lucky you didn't get blighted! Although I've found GD seem to hold up
better than some - especially the bigger tomatoes.

I have not yet found the larger tom as tasty as the cherry type. For me
there is no comparison. GD and Sweet Million are to me and my family the
best by far.

I agree for eating, even for sandwiches, but for cooking it's nice to
have some larger ones. Although tbh, I'm loathe to cook with homegrown
tomatoes, it just feels wasteful. :-)
Our cherries are GD (which can go a bit squishy when they are left too
long) and rosada (baby pear shape, bit firmer, tend to stay chewier), we
got harbinger (medium round, slightly blight tolerant, iirc) and rio
grande and roma (Italian plum shape, not at all blight resistant!), plus
one mysteriously ridged tomato that should have been a Roma or RG, but
very definitely isn't! It's fruiting loads but not ripening well, and
is very very unhappy with the blight so it looks like I've only had the
one fruit that survived, despite the loads produced
Old 19-09-2012, 01:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in
:

Baz wrote:
Lucky you didn't get blighted! Although I've found GD seem to hold
up better than some - especially the bigger tomatoes.

I have not yet found the larger tom as tasty as the cherry type. For
me there is no comparison. GD and Sweet Million are to me and my
family the best by far.

I agree for eating, even for sandwiches, but for cooking it's nice to
have some larger ones. Although tbh, I'm loathe to cook with
homegrown tomatoes, it just feels wasteful. :-)

I agree that cooking them seems wasteful, espescially this dire year when
they are scarce, but I think the satisfaction of using them when homegrown
is enough. Normally I grow far too many and have in the past years taken
advice from this NG and whizzed them up into juice and frozen to use in
cooking, or even a nice drink! (sometimes with tabasco and vodka)

Our cherries are GD (which can go a bit squishy when they are left too
long) and rosada (baby pear shape, bit firmer, tend to stay chewier),
we got harbinger (medium round, slightly blight tolerant, iirc) and
rio grande and roma (Italian plum shape, not at all blight
resistant!), plus one mysteriously ridged tomato that should have been
a Roma or RG, but very definitely isn't! It's fruiting loads but not
ripening well, and is very very unhappy with the blight so it looks
like I've only had the one fruit that survived, despite the loads
produced

Rosada are very, very nice but, again, this year has not been good for the
outdoor tomato grower:-[ Next year I will give them another bash.

Best of luck.
Baz
Old 19-09-2012, 03:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Baz wrote:
Rosada are very, very nice but, again, this year has not been good for the
outdoor tomato grower:-[ Next year I will give them another bash.

FWIW, I found the seeds are cheaply available (compared to T+M price - which
was 2.99 for 10, iirc!) on eBay, at around 99p/10, which I found not too
unreasonable.
Old 19-09-2012, 04:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

:
no, tomato`s to Edinburgh. When my 5 year old granddaughter comes to
stay with us during the summer, one of her favourite things is to stand
in the greenhouse eating the fresh toms. This year she was disappointed
because we did not have any ready to eat. I rashly promised her that
when they were ready I would send some up to her by post, today I have
been able to do just that, the toms are ripening thick and fast and I
know she will be thrilled to get them.

granny Kate :-)

Ah Granny, but they do not taste the same.

I do agree with you, nothing like standing in a warm greenhouse gobbling
tomato`s :-)

Old 19-09-2012, 04:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

A Granny after my own heart. My little Grandson is now 7 years old
and he melts my heart. We speak and see each other frequently on
Skype and he always says "when are you coming to stay with me", sooner
than he thinks!

I think we are lucky :-)