Old 22-12-2012, 12:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Wheelbarrow wheel puncture repair

"usenet2012" wrote in message

I have a wheelbarrow with a small car-type tyre.

The wheel has gone flat - has a puncture.

How do I get it repaired? Kwik-Fit? Or will a set of bicycle tyre irons
and patches do the trick?

--
Simon

12) The Second Rule of Expectations
An EXPECTATION is a Premeditated resentment.

First time I just put an inner tube under the tubeless tyre, when that went
I used slime, cured the problem and it was coping with quite big holes! not
had a problem since the old dog went (he used to attack the wheel while we
used the barrow)

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 22-12-2012, 12:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 22 Dec 2012 07:54:56 +0000, usenet2012
wrote:

Imended the use of Slime.

Slime is a wonderful product, expensive but worth every penny IMHO.
One application and we have had no punctures at all in the last 5
years.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Slime-SL-SDS.../dp/B000C11PYW

Ahhh yes, Slime. I've used it in bicycle tyres but my brain didn't
transfer the idea across. Halfords sell Holts Tyreweld but oddly in a
Q&A their staff don't recommend it for wheelbarrows??

http://tinyurl.com/dy5nryt

As a schoolboy 50 years ago I found old fashioned wall paper paste did
a similar thing on my Bike,perhaps it was an idea I should have
followed up but when you are swiping dads decorating material you tend
to keep quiet about it. Saved endless repairs from cycling along a
Devon lanes to school. Only snag was in winter when the mixture would
freeze so the wheels would have a bump at the bottom.

G.Harman
Old 22-12-2012, 01:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

usenet2012 wrote in
:

I have a wheelbarrow with a small car-type tyre.

The wheel has gone flat - has a puncture.

How do I get it repaired? Kwik-Fit? Or will a set of bicycle tyre irons
and patches do the trick?

You can do it with a spoon or fork. Your wheelbarrow tyre is(should be)
just a fatter yet smaller diamater cycle tyre. Not much psi. Not a car
tyre, very far from it. Just looks like a car tyre. That is where the
similarity ends.

Baz
Old 22-12-2012, 02:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 22 Dec 2012 13:05:40 GMT, Baz wrote:

usenet2012 wrote in
:

I have a wheelbarrow with a small car-type tyre.

The wheel has gone flat - has a puncture.

You can do it with a spoon or fork. Your wheelbarrow tyre is(should be)
just a fatter yet smaller diamater cycle tyre. Not much psi. Not a car
tyre, very far from it. Just looks like a car tyre. That is where the
similarity ends.

Baz

Have you ever actually looked at the pressure on a pump fitted with a
gauge when inflating a bicycle tyre or are you just guessing?
Even one at the low end of Bicycle tyre pressure ranges at about 40
psi is getting towards the higher end of car tyre range and that'll be
on reasonably wide tyres fitted to mountain bike types. The thinner
tyres used by a lot of people on sportier type things will have tyres
inflated around the 70 to 120 psi range. Far higher than car tyres or
indeed wheel barrow ones which be around the same as car tyres in the
30 to 40 psi range. Inflating a wheelbarrow tyre to the majority of
bicycle pressures could risk either injury or being sued by James
Dyson for infringing his patent for the Ball barrow.

Perhaps he did it accidentally and got the idea.

G.Harman
Old 22-12-2012, 05:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Baz
writes
usenet2012 wrote in
:

I have a wheelbarrow with a small car-type tyre.

The wheel has gone flat - has a puncture.

How do I get it repaired? Kwik-Fit? Or will a set of bicycle tyre irons
and patches do the trick?

You can do it with a spoon or fork. Your wheelbarrow tyre is(should be)
just a fatter yet smaller diamater cycle tyre. Not much psi. Not a car
tyre, very far from it. Just looks like a car tyre. That is where the
similarity ends.

Useful - thanks. I'd assumed it would have a similar design to a car
tyre.

Old 22-12-2012, 05:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , The Original
Jake writes
On Fri, 21 Dec 2012 19:40:34 +0000, Phil Cook
wrote:

On 21/12/2012 19:18, usenet2012 wrote:

I have a wheelbarrow with a small car-type tyre.

The wheel has gone flat - has a puncture.

How do I get it repaired? Kwik-Fit? Or will a set of bicycle tyre irons
and patches do the trick?

You might need bigger irons than bicycle ones. Motorcycle place?

I gave up trying to fix a puncture on my tubeless wheelbarrow tyre,
which turned out to be glued fast to the hub, and went for the
"solid" type. My supplier (chosen because they're Welsh!) was
http://www.wheelforwheelbarrow.co.uk/. Might work out cheaper than
getting all the stuff to repair an existing tyre.

Having looked at them I am very tempted. Thank-you.

Old 27-12-2012, 09:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21/12/2012 19:18, usenet2012 wrote:

I have a wheelbarrow with a small car-type tyre.

The wheel has gone flat - has a puncture.

How do I get it repaired? Kwik-Fit? Or will a set of bicycle tyre irons
and patches do the trick?

Have always used a cycle repair kit.