Old 01-01-2013, 01:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Christmas presents good and bad

On Mon, 31 Dec 2012 18:06:53 -0000, "'Mike'"
wrote:

I've always fancied the idea of triggering the alarm as I walked INTO a
store.

Go on a cruise. Those with replacement knees/hips etc always trigger if they
are metal. I have stitches in my chest where they took a rib out for the
Quadruple Heart By-Pass op and wired it back in, but it never triggers the
alarms.

Mike

I was working in a library at the time we were being coputerised and
had security on the doors. We got to know when a certain man came in
as he triggered the alarms, due to some medical metalwork!

Pam in Bristol
Old 01-01-2013, 01:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Pete C" wrote in message
o.uk...

"David Hill" wrote in message
On 31/12/2012 17:23, Bill Grey wrote:
"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Mon, 31 Dec 2012 12:08:31 +0000, Janet Tweedy wrote:

I've always fancied the idea of triggering the alarm as I walked INTO a
store.

Oh me Too ! But how?

It has happened to us and we never knew why, but it didn't' go off when we
left!

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/
Old 02-01-2013, 01:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 31/12/2012 12:08, Janet Tweedy wrote:
Well I asked for a large bos bag to take stuff down to the tip, what i
got was a roll of very thick bin liners
I asked for a pair of Darlac snips which I love - what i got was a
secateurs set by Kew gardens which you can hardly squeeze and I haven't
got a week grip!!
I asked for a pair of those Golden RHS approved gardening gloves, got
them but with security lump of plastic still on palm. (Got receipt as
well so got to take them all the way back to the Bicester Wyevale to get
the tag taken off.)
I asked for flexitie - i got two packets of those awful plastic tie sets
which you pull one end through the hook on the other end, they have
little barbs on them to make them stay tight.

sigh ..............................

still on a brighter note and not asked for I got some lovely fleece for
plants, a lovely craghoppers wooly jacket thing and a very handy hand
spray for plants plus packets of seeds and some tokens!!

What did you get?
can we have a swap list ?

I always get my RHS membership from RG each year, which is a great
all-year present. He also gave me some lovely earrings :~). They won't
keep my ears warm, but I love them. Also got a book of suduko killer
puzzles, which I find irresistible.

From close friends (as a joint present), I got two owl ornaments. I
collect them for my 'owl shelf', so really chuffed about that. Also got
a Thomas Kinkade jigsaw puzzle. Did that over Christmas:~).

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
Old 02-01-2013, 02:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Well I asked for a large bos bag to take stuff down to the tip, what i
got was a roll of very thick bin liners
I asked for a pair of Darlac snips which I love - what i got was a
secateurs set by Kew gardens which you can hardly squeeze and I haven't
got a week grip!!
I asked for a pair of those Golden RHS approved gardening gloves, got
them but with security lump of plastic still on palm. (Got receipt as
well so got to take them all the way back to the Bicester Wyevale to get
the tag taken off.)
I asked for flexitie - i got two packets of those awful plastic tie sets
which you pull one end through the hook on the other end, they have
little barbs on them to make them stay tight.

sigh ..............................

Ah, you have the wrong approach! Within our family, we buy our
presents ourselves, then hand them over to the person who's going to
give them to us, and unwrap them on Xmas Day with exclamations such as
"just what I wanted!" and "how did you know I wanted that?". All a
complete fraud of course, but better than asking for something,
expecting it, and then not getting it. At least our way we all get
_exactly_ what we want, and the costs generally balance out, more or
less.

We do something similar, but with a few surprises thrown in for good luck!

Old 02-01-2013, 03:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Spider wrote:

On 31/12/2012 17:39, Chris Hogg wrote:

Ah, you have the wrong approach! Within our family, we buy our
presents ourselves, then hand them over to the person who's going to
give them to us, and unwrap them on Xmas Day with exclamations such as
"just what I wanted!" and "how did you know I wanted that?". All a
complete fraud of course, but better than asking for something,
expecting it, and then not getting it.

We do something similar, but with a few surprises thrown in for good luck!

If you use www.BoxedUp.com you can create a wish list and others
can, unknown to you (provided you check the right box) reserve
them. This can, depending upon it being operated correctly,
provide you with some of the items you have specified, and avoid
duplications.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 02/01/2013 15:44, Chris J Dixon wrote:
Spider wrote:

On 31/12/2012 17:39, Chris Hogg wrote:

Ah, you have the wrong approach! Within our family, we buy our
presents ourselves, then hand them over to the person who's going to
give them to us, and unwrap them on Xmas Day with exclamations such as
"just what I wanted!" and "how did you know I wanted that?". All a
complete fraud of course, but better than asking for something,
expecting it, and then not getting it.

We do something similar, but with a few surprises thrown in for good luck!

If you use www.BoxedUp.com you can create a wish list and others
can, unknown to you (provided you check the right box) reserve
them. This can, depending upon it being operated correctly,
provide you with some of the items you have specified, and avoid
duplications.

Chris

Clever idea, but I'd be a little worried about it going the wayn of
facebook and other social sharing sites. Call me a nervous ninny, but
I'd rather drop hints .. or buy my own present!

Old 02-01-2013, 05:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 2 Jan 2013 17:14:27 +0000, Sacha wrote:

I didn't know you were an owl collector, too, Spider. I have quite a
few dotted around here and there and ditto elephant ornaments. I have a
secret passion for both creatures!

Are the elephants facing the right way?

G.Harman
Old 02-01-2013, 06:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 02/01/2013 17:14, Sacha wrote:
On 2013-01-02 13:44:39 +0000, Spider said:

[...]

From close friends (as a joint present), I got two owl ornaments. I
collect them for my 'owl shelf', so really chuffed about that. Also
got a Thomas Kinkade jigsaw puzzle. Did that over Christmas:~).

I didn't know you were an owl collector, too, Spider. I have quite a few
dotted around here and there and ditto elephant ornaments. I have a
secret passion for both creatures!

How interesting! I'm trying very hard not to start another huge
collection, although I have a modest collection of cat ornaments. I
could easily be tempted to start collecting red squirrel ornaments, but
I'm trying to control myself. I have one *gorgeous* glass ornament with
eight legs (see, being kind to you; I didn't use the s-word) which my
sister gave me year ago. It really looks the part, but I doubt you'd be
impressed;~).

Old 02-01-2013, 06:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-01-02 13:44:39 +0000, Spider said:

[...]

From close friends (as a joint present), I got two owl ornaments. I
[...]

Spider don't be tempted into collecting 'Moorcroft' unless you have a
bottomless pocket :-)

Mike

Old 02-01-2013, 06:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-01-02 13:44:39 +0000, Spider said:

[...]

From close friends (as a joint present), I got two owl ornaments. I
[...]

My pocket is well aware of that! Some of it is lovely, though.

Old 02-01-2013, 06:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-01-02 13:44:39 +0000, Spider said:

[...]

From close friends (as a joint present), I got two owl ornaments. I
[...]

The most 'economical' way is to join the Moorcroft Collectors club, go to
their Club Day and make your own ;-) We have a few pieces which my wife and
daughter have made on such visits :-) .....

No value in them but ...................... what the hell, great fun. :-)
...... but the genuine stuff is still there to admire.

Mike

Old 02-01-2013, 10:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I've always fancied the idea of triggering the alarm as I walked INTO a
store.

Oh me Too ! But how?
--
Pete C

well Pete what you do is have a b----- silly accident fall onto some
reinforced concrete and end up having a very handsome young surgeon put a
large bit of metal into your shoulder and lots of neat screw`s, its easy
but I don't think you should try it. I have been brave today and walked into
a shop that had huge security things but nothing happened :-(

clumsy kate

Old 02-01-2013, 10:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Kate Morgan" wrote in message
o.uk...
I've always fancied the idea of triggering the alarm as I walked INTO a
store.

Oh me Too ! But how?
--
Pete C

well Pete what you do is have a b----- silly accident fall onto some
reinforced concrete and end up having a very handsome young surgeon put a
large bit of metal into your shoulder and lots of neat screw`s, its easy
but I don't think you should try it. I have been brave today and walked
into a shop that had huge security things but nothing happened :-(

My metal knees never trigger any alarms either

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 02-01-2013, 10:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 02/01/2013 18:57, 'Mike' wrote:

On 2013-01-02 13:44:39 +0000, Spider said:

[...]

From close friends (as a joint present), I got two owl ornaments. I
[...]

I'll enjoy the genuine article from the pages of a magazine, if it's all
the same to you. Any closer encounter might prove too dangerous.