Old 03-01-2013, 12:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default christmas presents good and bad

On 2013-01-02 13:44:39 +0000, Spider said:

On 31/12/2012 12:08, Janet Tweedy wrote:
Well I asked for a large bos bag to take stuff down to the tip, what i
got was a roll of very thick bin liners
I asked for a pair of Darlac snips which I love - what i got was a
secateurs set by Kew gardens which you can hardly squeeze and I
haven't
got a week grip!!
I asked for a pair of those Golden RHS approved gardening gloves, got
them but with security lump of plastic still on palm. (Got receipt as
well so got to take them all the way back to the Bicester Wyevale
to get
the tag taken off.)
I asked for flexitie - i got two packets of those awful plastic tie
sets
which you pull one end through the hook on the other end, they have
little barbs on them to make them stay tight.

sigh ..............................

still on a brighter note and not asked for I got some lovely fleece
for
plants, a lovely craghoppers wooly jacket thing and a very handy hand
spray for plants plus packets of seeds and some tokens!!

What did you get?
can we have a swap list ?

I always get my RHS membership from RG each year, which is a great
all-year present. He also gave me some lovely earrings :~). They won't
keep my ears warm, but I love them. Also got a book of suduko killer
puzzles, which I find irresistible.

From close friends (as a joint present), I got two owl ornaments. I
collect them for my 'owl shelf', so really chuffed about that. Also
got a Thomas Kinkade jigsaw puzzle. Did that over Christmas:~).

I didn't know you were an owl collector, too, Spider. I have quite a few
dotted around here and there and ditto elephant ornaments. I have a
secret passion for both creatures!

How interesting! I'm trying very hard not to start another huge
collection, although I have a modest collection of cat ornaments. I
could easily be tempted to start collecting red squirrel ornaments,
but I'm trying to control myself. I have one *gorgeous* glass ornament
with eight legs (see, being kind to you; I didn't use the s-word)
which my sister gave me year ago. It really looks the part, but I
doubt you'd be impressed;~).

I watched 'Africa' tonight. When that cartwheeling spider popped out of
its hole I nearly screamed! So no, I'll pass on your 'gorgeous' ornament!

Oh, I missed that, but I know the spider you mean. Must try and catch
that on iplayer or somesuch. Sorry it was too scary for you.
Interestingly, there are plants that mimic that cartwheeling behaviour.
Agapanthus (and probably Alliums, too) lose their seedheads in high
winds after maturity, so that as they 'cartwheel' along the ground,
their seeds are dispersed as widely as possible. Clever, eh? That
artfully brings us back to gardening and less creepy territory;~).

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
Old 03-01-2013, 05:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 03/01/2013 16:23, Martin wrote:
How were the barking dog key rings that you bought?
--

One was passed on almost immediately as the person in question said she
never lost her keys and it would set all the dogs off but I pointed out

Old 03-01-2013, 05:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I watched 'Africa' tonight. When that cartwheeling spider popped out of
its hole I nearly screamed! So no, I'll pass on your 'gorgeous' ornament!

The giraffe fight was something lese to watch in slow motion!!
Marvelous. So pleased the old 'un won the fight

Can't see why pumps can't get all that water under the Namib desert up
to the surface somewhere if there's so much.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Thu, 03 Jan 2013 17:14:39 +0000, Janet Tweedy
wrote:

On 03/01/2013 16:23, Martin wrote:
How were the barking dog key rings that you bought?
--

One was passed on almost immediately as the person in question said she
never lost her keys and it would set all the dogs off but I pointed out
she could put it on the collar of her young labrador puppy so that sye
could finsd her in the woods!!
the other wnet down very well with a scoittie owner who said that her
dog ran round in a frenzy when she used it at first barking at the top
of his voice!

My son has a very young Labrador puppy. It is badly in need of house
training. Any suggestions? It goes mad with excitement, when he flies
the helicopter.
--

Martin

Martin tell your son to quell the excitement ASAP or there will be trouble
later. We used to do the Puppy Walking for the Guide Dogs for the Blind and
Labs are either a 'yes' or a 'no'. Our first dog 'Rene' was wonderful and
went through. The next 'Ike' was a problem right from the start and never
made it. We then went to Alsatians and stuck with them, having our own when
we came back to the Isle of Wight. Would have another tomorrow but we spend
too much time away cruising etc.

ASAP quell that Lab puppy

Mike

Old 05-01-2013, 12:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I've always fancied the idea of triggering the alarm as I walked INTO a
store.

Oh me Too ! But how?
--
Pete C

well Pete what you do is have a b----- silly accident fall onto some
reinforced concrete and end up having a very handsome young surgeon put a
large bit of metal into your shoulder and lots of neat screw`s, its easy
but I don't think you should try it. I have been brave today and walked
into a shop that had huge security things but nothing happened :-(

My metal knees never trigger any alarms either

How do you manage to garden with metal knees, I am struggling with one arm
but I know that it will work again soon but metal knees must be truly
tricky.

kate

Old 05-01-2013, 02:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Kate Morgan" wrote in message
o.uk...

I've always fancied the idea of triggering the alarm as I walked INTO a
store.

Oh me Too ! But how?
--
Pete C

well Pete what you do is have a b----- silly accident fall onto some
reinforced concrete and end up having a very handsome young surgeon put a
large bit of metal into your shoulder and lots of neat screw`s, its easy
but I don't think you should try it. I have been brave today and walked
into a shop that had huge security things but nothing happened :-(

My metal knees never trigger any alarms either

How do you manage to garden with metal knees, I am struggling with one arm
but I know that it will work again soon but metal knees must be truly
tricky.

Well I can't kneel properly (I can't put pressure on them) but I use one of
those kneeler things and 'kneel' on my shins.

My knees are well healed btw and I hope your shoulder will get there very
soon! Just a matter of compensation as with a lot of things at my age

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 05-01-2013, 02:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ophelia" wrote in message

"Kate Morgan" wrote in message
o.uk...

I've always fancied the idea of triggering the alarm as I walked INTO a
store.
Oh me Too ! But how?
--
Pete C

well Pete what you do is have a b----- silly accident fall onto some
reinforced concrete and end up having a very handsome young surgeon put
a large bit of metal into your shoulder and lots of neat screw`s, its
easy but I don't think you should try it. I have been brave today and
walked into a shop that had huge security things but nothing happened
:-(

My metal knees never trigger any alarms either

How do you manage to garden with metal knees, I am struggling with one
arm but I know that it will work again soon but metal knees must be truly
tricky.

Well I can't kneel properly (I can't put pressure on them) but I use one
of those kneeler things and 'kneel' on my shins.

My knees are well healed btw and I hope your shoulder will get there very
soon! Just a matter of compensation as with a lot of things at my age

.... or should that be 'compensating'? You know what I mean)
http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 05-01-2013, 04:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 05/01/2013 14:24, Ophelia wrote:
Just a matter of compensation as with a lot of things at my age

I need compensating for reaching my age too

--
Janet T.
Amersham
Old 05-01-2013, 05:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
On 05/01/2013 14:24, Ophelia wrote:
Just a matter of compensation as with a lot of things at my age

I need compensating for reaching my age too

lol
http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/