Old 31-12-2012, 12:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default christmas presents good and bad

Well I asked for a large bos bag to take stuff down to the tip, what i
got was a roll of very thick bin liners
I asked for a pair of Darlac snips which I love - what i got was a
secateurs set by Kew gardens which you can hardly squeeze and I haven't
got a week grip!!
I asked for a pair of those Golden RHS approved gardening gloves, got
them but with security lump of plastic still on palm. (Got receipt as
well so got to take them all the way back to the Bicester Wyevale to get
the tag taken off.)
I asked for flexitie - i got two packets of those awful plastic tie sets
which you pull one end through the hook on the other end, they have
little barbs on them to make them stay tight.

sigh ..............................

still on a brighter note and not asked for I got some lovely fleece for
plants, a lovely craghoppers wooly jacket thing and a very handy hand
spray for plants plus packets of seeds and some tokens!!

What did you get?
can we have a swap list ?
Old 31-12-2012, 01:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 12/31/2012 7:47 AM, Janet wrote:

I received a very large box, fancy wrap; inside was an other even
fancier wrap which I recognised from well-known lingerie (my heart sank;
I CANNOT ABIDE other people buying me underwear, EVER EVER
and had hoped I got that message across several decades ago. Noticed
husband keeping poker face). Small sigh of relief when that turned out
to be just another layer of wrapping . On and on until right in the
middle I found a teeny tiny little metal construction about 3 inches
high, which he had made in his workshop. It's a replica of the real
present which is a lovely garden obelisk to support a clematis.

:-)

Nice! Both the gift and the packaging.
Old 31-12-2012, 03:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 31 Dec 2012 12:08:31 +0000, Janet Tweedy wrote:

I asked for a pair of those Golden RHS approved gardening gloves, got
them but with security lump of plastic still on palm. (Got receipt as
well so got to take them all the way back to the Bicester Wyevale to
get the tag taken off.)

Got a magnet? Fiddle about with that over the bump in the tag and the
metal pin will release. Easy witha powerful magnet, a fridge magnet might
not be enough but worth a try. Have the tag inverted ie bump down
perhaps, tap magnet against bump or hold magnet against bump point and
tap the whole lot down on to a hard surface.

Or you could go for brute force and ignorance and bash the bump with a
hammer and smash it open/off but some tags have dye in them...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 31-12-2012, 04:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 31/12/2012 15:53, Dave Liquorice wrote:
Got a magnet? Fiddle about with that over the bump in the tag and the
metal pin will release. Easy witha powerful magnet, a fridge magnet might
not be enough but worth a try. Have the tag inverted ie bump down
perhaps, tap magnet against bump or hold magnet against bump point and
tap the whole lot down on to a hard surface.

Or you could go for brute force and ignorance and bash the bump with a
hammer and smash it open/off but some tags have dye in them...

not going to risk it as the gloves are quite expensive though loverly to
wear as they keep my hands really warm whilst working in the rain.

Old 31-12-2012, 04:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 31/12/2012 12:47, Janet wrote:
It's a replica of the real
present which is a lovely garden obelisk to support a clematis.

oh what a lovely thought Janet how nice of him.
Old 31-12-2012, 05:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Mon, 31 Dec 2012 12:08:31 +0000, Janet Tweedy wrote:

I asked for a pair of those Golden RHS approved gardening gloves, got
them but with security lump of plastic still on palm. (Got receipt as
well so got to take them all the way back to the Bicester Wyevale to
get the tag taken off.)

Got a magnet? Fiddle about with that over the bump in the tag and the
metal pin will release. Easy witha powerful magnet, a fridge magnet might
not be enough but worth a try. Have the tag inverted ie bump down
perhaps, tap magnet against bump or hold magnet against bump point and
tap the whole lot down on to a hard surface.

Or you could go for brute force and ignorance and bash the bump with a
hammer and smash it open/off but some tags have dye in them...

--
Cheers
Dave.

A few years ago pre digital cameras, I bought a pack of three films for my
camera in a Boots store. A week or two later while on holiday in N Wales my
wife and I entered an "Outdoor " shop and immediately the security alarm was
activated. Fortunately the owner of the shop has watched us coming in and
was aware we hadn't nicked anything. By the process of elimination he
identified the problem as the security tag that was still attached to the
film pack bought in Llanelli. How we got out of Boots in the first place is
still a mystery. We reported the incident to Boots but they just couldn't
give a damn - not even an apology for the embarrassment we endured in N
Wales.

Bill

Old 31-12-2012, 05:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 31 Dec 2012 16:30:43 +0000, Janet Tweedy wrote:

not going to risk it as the gloves are quite expensive though loverly
to wear as they keep my hands really warm whilst working in the rain.

The magnet method is how the shops release the balls holding the pin into
the tag, no risk there. The "bash it 'wiv an 'ammer" method is the risky
one. B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 31-12-2012, 05:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 31/12/2012 17:23, Bill Grey wrote:
[...]

I've always fancied the idea of triggering the alarm as I walked INTO a
store.
Old 31-12-2012, 06:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote in message
[...]

Go on a cruise. Those with replacement knees/hips etc always trigger if they
are metal. I have stitches in my chest where they took a rib out for the
Quadruple Heart By-Pass op and wired it back in, but it never triggers the
alarms.

Mike

Old 31-12-2012, 06:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bill Grey" wrote in message
A few years ago pre digital cameras, I bought a pack of three films for my
camera in a Boots store. A week or two later while on holiday in N Wales
my wife and I entered an "Outdoor " shop and immediately the security
alarm was activated. Fortunately the owner of the shop has watched us
coming in and was aware we hadn't nicked anything. By the process of
elimination he identified the problem as the security tag that was still
attached to the film pack bought in Llanelli. How we got out of Boots in
the first place is still a mystery. We reported the incident to Boots but
they just couldn't give a damn - not even an apology for the embarrassment
we endured in N Wales.

According to TV advertising, Boots is a 'womens only' shop. Only ever used
it
when it was 'bi-sexual'. Don't ever use it now, would feel very embarassed!

Phil

Old 31-12-2012, 08:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote in message
[...]

Finding the offending item was fun :-)

Bill

Old 31-12-2012, 08:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Well I asked for a large bos bag to take stuff down to the tip, what i
got was a roll of very thick bin liners
I asked for a pair of Darlac snips which I love - what i got was a
secateurs set by Kew gardens which you can hardly squeeze and I haven't
got a week grip!!
I asked for a pair of those Golden RHS approved gardening gloves, got
them but with security lump of plastic still on palm. (Got receipt as
well so got to take them all the way back to the Bicester Wyevale to get
the tag taken off.)
I asked for flexitie - i got two packets of those awful plastic tie sets
which you pull one end through the hook on the other end, they have
little barbs on them to make them stay tight.

sigh ..............................

Ah, you have the wrong approach! Within our family, we buy our
presents ourselves, then hand them over to the person who's going to
give them to us, and unwrap them on Xmas Day with exclamations such as
"just what I wanted!" and "how did you know I wanted that?". All a
complete fraud of course, but better than asking for something,
expecting it, and then not getting it. At least our way we all get
_exactly_ what we want, and the costs generally balance out, more or
less.

I say!!! What a wonderful idea)

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 31-12-2012, 09:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 31/12/2012 17:23, Bill Grey wrote:
How we got out of Boots in the first place is
still a mystery. We reported the incident to Boots but they just couldn't
give a damn - not even an apology for the embarrassment we endured in N
Wales.

Oh I know why. I was given a nice M & S cardigan for my birthday last
year but it was too tight on the arms so I had to travel over to High
Wycombe and exchange it. Instead I bought a lovely knitted coat/jacket
which i bought home and wore that evening for going out for a meal. My
friend whispered to me as we went into Asks that I had a very large
security tag hanging off the back of the jacket!!
So i had to go all the way back to M & s just before Christmas to get it
removed. I was petrified the alarms would go off as I entered but it
turned out that the shop didn't have alarms - the jacket had security on
it as it was supplied by a central supplier to M & S and their London
stores had the relevant alarms.
No one could disconnect it on the shop floor, i had to go up to the top
floor and wait for about half an hour to get someone who had the correct
desecurity tagging thingy!
Old 31-12-2012, 11:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote in message
On 31/12/2012 17:23, Bill Grey wrote:
"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Mon, 31 Dec 2012 12:08:31 +0000, Janet Tweedy wrote:

I've always fancied the idea of triggering the alarm as I walked INTO a
store.

Oh me Too ! But how?
--
Pete C