Old 23-01-2013, 10:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Slight weather change

This morning we have a snow/sleet/snow/sleet combo going on. Nothing
is settling but it's very damp and cold. The dogs are squashed up
against the radiators or the Aga, depending on where I am! Neither
seems very keen to have their usual morning race around the garden and
Nursery - can't think why!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 23-01-2013, 11:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 23 Jan 2013 Sacha wrote:

This morning we have a snow/sleet/snow/sleet combo going on. Nothing is
settling but it's very damp and cold. The dogs are squashed up against
the radiators or the Aga, depending on where I am! Neither seems very
keen to have their usual morning race around the garden and Nursery -
can't think why!

Well, do *you*?? (Fancy a race round the garden and nursery??) ;-)

I've given in. Normally I walk to the crematorium to do my duties but
this morning I just can't face it. Haven't used the car this year so far
apart from once when I took a granddaughter to Oxford. Wasn't exactly a
new year resolution but I'm sorry to have given in.

David

http://rance.org.uk

Old 23-01-2013, 02:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-01-23 11:32:40 +0000, David Rance said:

On Wed, 23 Jan 2013 Sacha wrote:

This morning we have a snow/sleet/snow/sleet combo going on. Nothing is
settling but it's very damp and cold. The dogs are squashed up against
the radiators or the Aga, depending on where I am! Neither seems very
keen to have their usual morning race around the garden and Nursery -
can't think why!

Well, do *you*?? (Fancy a race round the garden and nursery??) ;-)

I've given in. Normally I walk to the crematorium to do my duties but
this morning I just can't face it. Haven't used the car this year so
far apart from once when I took a granddaughter to Oxford. Wasn't
exactly a new year resolution but I'm sorry to have given in.

David

I went out to fill the bird feeders, say hello to people etc. and came
in thoroughly chilled and fed up with the damp, claggy day! The dog
didn't take much whistling up to get them back into the nice, warm
kitchen! So no, I don't blame them. On the up side, we're starting to
put in seed for some of the veg plants & tomatoes, my favourite sweet
pea - Matucana - is sprouting and there is every probability that
spring will occur!!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 23-01-2013, 05:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23/01/2013 14:52, Sacha wrote:
On 2013-01-23 11:32:40 +0000, David Rance said:

[...]

Here at the tropical end of Swansea Bay we have been frost free for the
last 3 days, the snow had cleared from a lot of the place with the rain
we had Monday night.
Last night we had fine snow which added up to around an inch, then this
morning we had a bit of fine sleet which turned to fine snow around
lunch time and we have had almost 4 hours of it, probably another inch.
David
Old 25-01-2013, 06:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-01-23 11:32:40 +0000, David Rance said:

[...]

It has just started snowing here in Leeds but seems a bit on the wet
side as it is not sticking much now.
--
http://www.mykleeneze.com/rheselwood

Old 26-01-2013, 02:44 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob H View Post

It has just started snowing here in Leeds but seems a bit on the wet
side as it is not sticking much now.
In my bit of Leeds we've had a good few inches. It looks wonderful - feels almost as bright as daylight. I'm going out for a walk, as I suspect a lot will be gone by morning.
__________________
Old 26-01-2013, 09:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26/01/2013 02:44, kay wrote:
Bob H;977325 Wrote:

It has just started snowing here in Leeds but seems a bit on the wet
side as it is not sticking much now.

In my bit of Leeds we've had a good few inches. It looks wonderful -
feels almost as bright as daylight. I'm going out for a walk, as I
suspect a lot will be gone by morning.

Here it's a lovely sunny day, no running water and just small pockets of
snow left.
But yesterday evening was quite different, the heavens opened and it
hammered down for around 2 hours. There was water running off the fields
above us in small waterfalls, and the track was a river. but just after
10 pm the rain stopped.
Let's hope we settle down now to a nice early spring, or is that to much
to hope for?
David @ the tropical end of Swansea Bay

Old 26-01-2013, 10:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-01-26 02:44:52 +0000, kay said:

Bob H;977325 Wrote:

It has just started snowing here in Leeds but seems a bit on the wet
side as it is not sticking much now.

In my bit of Leeds we've had a good few inches. It looks wonderful -
feels almost as bright as daylight. I'm going out for a walk, as I
suspect a lot will be gone by morning.

We saw some shots of Leeds on the tv news last night. I'm sure it's
inconvenient but it looked absolutely beautiful.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 26-01-2013, 10:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote in message
On 26/01/2013 02:44, kay wrote:
Bob H;977325 Wrote:

It has just started snowing here in Leeds but seems a bit on the wet
side as it is not sticking much now.

In my bit of Leeds we've had a good few inches. It looks wonderful -
feels almost as bright as daylight. I'm going out for a walk, as I
suspect a lot will be gone by morning.

Here it's a lovely sunny day, no running water and just small pockets of
snow left.
But yesterday evening was quite different, the heavens opened and it
hammered down for around 2 hours. There was water running off the fields
above us in small waterfalls, and the track was a river. but just after 10
pm the rain stopped.
Let's hope we settle down now to a nice early spring, or is that to much
to hope for?
David @ the tropical end of Swansea Bay

Nice Spring like day here on the South East Coast of the Isle of Wight

Might be a bit cold if I were to go outside ;-)

Chucked it down with rain last night :-(

Mike

Old 26-01-2013, 06:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-01-23 11:32:40 +0000, David Rance said:

[...]

Well it stopped after about an hour, but a bit later, just before 8pm
the heavens opened up and it was nearly blizzard conditions at times.

By the morning time, at about 9am, there was about 6 inches of the stuff
in my garden and on the drive. I could hardly see my car.

Anyway I have spent a bit of time clearing it away as it was a beautiful
morning today.
--
http://www.mykleeneze.com/rheselwood

Old 26-01-2013, 09:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-01-23 11:32:40 +0000, David Rance said:

[...]

You must have a very small car if you loose it in 6 inches of snow
Old 27-01-2013, 09:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-01-26 18:32:11 +0000, Bob H said:
snip
Anyway I have spent a bit of time clearing it away as it was a
beautiful morning today.

Well, we have a lovely morning here, thank goodness. It's doing
everyone good to see bright sunshine, even though there's a cold wind
with it. But it really is the most lovely day and we can hope that
wind will dry out the soil a bit!

--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 27-01-2013, 10:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-01-26 18:32:11 +0000, Bob H said:
snip
Anyway I have spent a bit of time clearing it away as it was a
beautiful morning today.

Well, we have a lovely morning here, thank goodness. It's doing
everyone good to see bright sunshine, even though there's a cold wind
with it. But it really is the most lovely day and we can hope that
wind will dry out the soil a bit!

It's windy & gloomy. The rain is pouring down. Large lumps of snow and
ice are falling off the roof. 3C.
Nice day for a stroll on the beach?
http://www.egmondonline.nl/pages/bee...randafgang.php

What a strange site! The sidebars look inadequately dressed for that weather!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 27-01-2013, 11:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26/01/2013 21:42, Martin wrote:
On Sat, 26 Jan 2013 21:14:44 +0000, David Hill

On 2013-01-23 11:32:40 +0000, David Rance said:

[...]

Unless he lost his specs.

You should be on the telly :-)
--
http://www.mykleeneze.com/rheselwood
Old 27-01-2013, 12:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-01-26 18:32:11 +0000, Bob H said:
snip
Anyway I have spent a bit of time clearing it away as it was a
beautiful morning today.

Well, we have a lovely morning here, thank goodness. It's doing
everyone good to see bright sunshine, even though there's a cold wind
with it. But it really is the most lovely day and we can hope that
wind will dry out the soil a bit!

Well here at the suddenly wet end of the Bay, in a matter of about 10
minutes we went from lovely sunshine to very dark cloud, followed by a
few minutes of thunder and lightning and then the mother of all
hailstorms. The lawn looked as if we'd had an hour or two of snow but
the hail only came down for a couple of minutes, accompanied by a
carcophony of alarms going off!

Now the sky's clear again, just a bit of high white cloud.

Cheers, Jake
Urgling from the East End of Swansea Bay where sometimes
it's raining and sometimes it's not.