Old 24-03-2013, 10:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Snow, wind and rain with power cuts too

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

I think if I lived somewhere like that, certainly if it wasn't an
underground cable, I would invest in a generator and ensure I had fuel for
a few days.

Bob, It doesn't work like that. For some years I lived on an Islansd
in the Inner Hebrides with no mains power although there were mains
cables across the Island to supply Mull. Finaly the Laird relented and
allowed the Hydroboard to supply us all with mains power. The first
thing we all did - sold our generators!!!. There was a move for all
the households to switch their power off for one day a year so that
we could all remember 'how it used to be'. IT NEVER HAPPENED!!!

Phil
Northern Highlands, 40 miles N. of Inverness

Old 24-03-2013, 10:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Roger Tonkin" wrote in message

What I can not understand is why they still insist on
pylons and overhead wires/ Surely underground cables
would be better.

Where I live, there's so little soil etc., that there is not
enough depth to plant cables.

Phil
Northern Highlands of Scotland, 40 miles N. of Inverness

Old 24-03-2013, 10:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 24 Mar 2013 17:13:38 -0000, Roger Tonkin
wrote:

In article ,
says...

It is the most horrid day here in N.Lincs.
Worst thing is the wind, blowing a hooligan(thanks Sacha for the phrase)and
it is very cold indeed.

Our lecky was out from 0930 to 1225, the longest

outage that I can
remember.

Hoping for a good year
Baz

Just think of those poor souls in Aran, not had any
lecky for the last 2 days and still no end in sight!

When we moved here almost 20 years ago, power cuts
were routine, usually only up to an hour, but often at
the wrong time. Things are much better now, and I
think we've only had one brief blip so far this year!

Janet'll be after you (like she was after me last year). Aran is
Ireland. The Scottish Island without power is Arran!.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from the East end of Swansea Bay
in between feeding half the UK bird population!
Old 24-03-2013, 11:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , david@abacus-
nurseries.co.uk says...

On 24/03/2013 17:13, Roger Tonkin wrote:
In article ,
says...

It is the most horrid day here in N.Lincs.
Worst thing is the wind, blowing a hooligan(thanks Sacha for the phrase)and
it is very cold indeed.

Our lecky was out from 0930 to 1225, the longest

outage that I can
remember.

Hoping for a good year
Baz

Just think of those poor souls in Aran, not had any
lecky for the last 2 days and still no end in sight!

When we moved here almost 20 years ago, power cuts
were routine, usually only up to an hour, but often at
the wrong time. Things are much better now, and I
think we've only had one brief blip so far this year!

There was some poor soul from that area saying she was having to wash
her baby's clothes etc by hand. I's a good job she can remember how to
do that.

The point was, there is no mains power on the island and won't be for
weeks, many places also without water, and. If she did have access to
water it was ice cold..and no means to dry washing.

The huge team of engineers frantically trying to restore power with
hundreds of generators, say they have never seen conditions and damage
like this in Scotland; huge steel pylons crumpled under the weight of
ice.

We've just been connected to a generator after three days without
power. We were lucky, still had water phones and road access. Othr
properties are going to be cut off for at least several more days and
some are up to the roof in snow.

Janet (Arran)

Old 25-03-2013, 12:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 24 Mar 2013 22:15:03 -0000, "Phil Gurr"
wrote:

Where I live, there's so little soil etc., that there is not
enough depth to plant cables.

Can't you plant them in pots?

G.Harman
Old 25-03-2013, 09:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 24 Mar 2013 23:58:32 -0000, Janet wrote:

You mean she hasn't got more than a couple of days worth of clothes
for the bairn? More to the point you don't *need* clean clothes
every day, though a baby might as they do tend to be messy eaters.
B-)

More to the point how was she drying them?

Hanging them on the line outside?

Highly unlikely in local conditions at the time; a 48 hour gale force
snowstorm, sub zero. Some houses are buried to the roof.

The pictures from Sunday look fine, bright and sunny... B-)

The wind may well still be a problem, we have the same trouble. Great
drying days but even a sock needs two pegs to keep it on the line...

Glad that you have power restored, though with the possibilty of more
disruption one they get around to replacing those three metal towers.
Though I should imagine everyone has some form of backup
heat/light/cooking. TBH if they don't and living on an island with
multiple single points of failure they are being just a bit short
sighted.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 25-03-2013, 01:46 PM
Registered User

Location: Bedfordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Liquorice[_2_] View Post
[...]

It will only get worse, we had the Roman warm period around 100AD, the Medieval warm period around 1100AD and now the 'Technological age' warm period around 2100AD, since there has been no warming for the last 16 years and the sun appears to be getting less active, we are now starting the (hopefully) long slide down to the next mini ice-age.
Old 25-03-2013, 06:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-03-25 13:46:19 +0000, Granity said:

'Dave Liquorice[_2_ Wrote:
;979731']On Sun, 24 Mar 2013 23:58:32 -0000, Janet wrote:
---
[...]

I think we've just got weather and plenty of it. Istr, as a child in
the 50s/early 60s, watching tv coverage of helicopters dropping bales
of hay to Dartmoor ponies because everyone was cut off by snow. There
were huge gales and roaring seas then, too. By contrast we then had the
long drought and hot summer of 1976. In Lorna Doone there's a passage
describing rescuing sheep from snowdrifts. British weather goes up and
down like the fiddler's elbow.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com