Old 19-04-2013, 01:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Wind, gusty and then more wind and gusts

Martin wrote in
:

On Thu, 18 Apr 2013 11:18:01 GMT, Baz wrote:

It is our day to get our recycling bins emptied of plastic and
cardboard. The wind has blown all of them over, and most of the
contents are in our and neighbours gardens. What a mess. It has
bin(pun)like this for weeks now with that wind. Just how Feb. should
be IME. Not April. Probably Thatcher is having it's last laugh at us
humans?

We don't even get a bin. we are expected to stack plastic on the
pavement on the day that is collected. Cardboard & paper are stacked
lose on the pavement and are collected on a different day.
We are provided with three containers - one for organic, one for
inorganic and a small container for chemical waste. Glass has to be
put in a bottle bank which is about 100 metres away. Heavy waste is
collected on request so long as the biggest dimension of an item is
less than a metre. Anything else has to be delivered to the waste
disposal yard. We had an undamaged painted asbestos panel on the
house,whenw e removed it, they provided a sort of large body bag for
it and accepted the bag and contents at the yard without charge.

Well at least you are getting there. Costs a lot of money to supply every
household with bins and boxes for different types of waste.
We in Britain are very lucky indeed to have such services already.

Baz
Old 19-04-2013, 02:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 18 Apr 2013 23:39:38 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Thu, 18 Apr 2013 21:30:54 +0100, David Hill wrote:

put in a bottle bank which is about 100 metres away.

You're lucky!

Glass has to be taken to a waste reycling centre, or to a bottle bank,
the nearest to us being almost a mile away.

Nearer 3 for us. B-)

We have recycling collections (plastic, cardboard, tins) once a month.

Fortnightly hard plastic, card/paper, bottles and tins.

I'd much prefer a two-weekly "black bin" collection and a two weekly
recycling collection.

About the only stuff that goes in the "land fill" bag is plastic
films/bags from food packaging.

I understand that black plastic cannot be recycled, so why do
supermarkets put ready-meals in black plastic trays?

I took 3 bags of plastic to the recycling yesterday and had a set to
with one of the workers there I had a bag from a neighbouring authority
and he said I shouldn't bring it to his centre.

He he, I'm waiting for that to happen to me. The nearest HWRC is in
another county, the most convenient is also in another county. Cartons
being the only recyclable item that don't get taken from the doorstep get
taken there.

Pam in Bristol
Old 19-04-2013, 02:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , nospamigg1937
@yahoo.co.uk says...

I understand that black plastic cannot be recycled,

It can. Our local council does.

Janet.
Old 19-04-2013, 02:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-04-18 13:56:15 +0100, Baz said:

Janet wrote in
T:

In article ,
says...

It is our day to get our recycling bins emptied of plastic and
cardboard. The wind has blown all of them over, and most of the
contents are in our and neighbours gardens. What a mess. It has
bin(pun)like this for weeks now with that wind. Just how Feb. should
be IME. Not April. Probably Thatcher is having it's last laugh at us
humans?

Who knows.
Baz

Wrong PM. "Wind of change" was Macmillan's slogan.

Janet

Who mentioned PM? and wind of change?
I was refering to a specific cretin. Begining with T and ending with
hatcher.

Baz

You know what, she's dead. Give it - and her - a rest please. To keep
on slagging off the dead is offensive in any case to a lot of people
and it doesn't necessarily jibe with everyone's political views on
here, so it's rude to assume all think the same. And politics shouldn't
enter into a gardening group in any case. And no, I didn't vote for her
or anyone else back then, because at the time she was in power I was
unable to vote in England.

Yes, of course you are right in what you say.
My point is off topic in this group.

Baz

Thanks, Baz.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 19-04-2013, 06:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Pam Moore wrote:
I understand that black plastic cannot be recycled, so why do
supermarkets put ready-meals in black plastic trays?

Can it not? I put the black plastic trays marked /1\ in the recycle
as our recycle says it takes plastics /1\ and /2\
Old 19-04-2013, 07:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote in
:

On Fri, 19 Apr 2013 12:21:47 GMT, Baz wrote:

Martin wrote in
m:

[...]

Already? We have had them for more than 20 years.

So why stack things on the pavement then?

Baz

Old 19-04-2013, 07:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Pam Moore wrote in
:

I understand that black plastic cannot be recycled, so why do
supermarkets put ready-meals in black plastic trays?

Pam in Bristol

Black plastic is recyclable. God knows how, but it is. Probably to make
more black plastic trays I guess.

Baz
Old 19-04-2013, 08:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19/04/2013 19:50, Baz wrote:
Pam Moore wrote in
:

I understand that black plastic cannot be recycled, so why do
supermarkets put ready-meals in black plastic trays?

Pam in Bristol

Black plastic is recyclable. God knows how, but it is. Probably to make
more black plastic trays I guess.

Baz

A lot of it goes into things like this
http://www.filcris.co.uk/products/bo...ts/solid-posts

Old 19-04-2013, 10:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , david@abacus-
nurseries.co.uk says...
Subject: Wind, gusty and then more wind and gusts
From: David Hill
Newsgroups: uk.rec.gardening

On 19/04/2013 19:50, Baz wrote:
Pam Moore wrote in
:

I understand that black plastic cannot be recycled, so why do
supermarkets put ready-meals in black plastic trays?

Pam in Bristol

Black plastic is recyclable. God knows how, but it is. Probably to make
more black plastic trays I guess.

Baz

A lot of it goes into things like this
http://www.filcris.co.uk/products/bo...ts/solid-posts

The black dalek compost bins provided by our local council, are
recycled plastic.

Janet
Old 20-04-2013, 11:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Martin wrote in
:

On Fri, 19 Apr 2013 18:09:13 GMT, Baz wrote:

Martin wrote in
m:

[...]

because there is a limit to the space available for bins and it is
cheap. How many bins have you got? Do you have a chemical waste bin?

Only paper and plastic are stacked on the pavement. Everything else
has a bin.

I wasn't criticising, we have one bin for plastic and cardboard, we have
one bin for general household waste, one bin for garden refuse, a box for
tin cans and glass, and a box for paper.
Chemical waste is collected on request. As are large items such as old
furniture, scrap metal and almost anything which does not fit into the
bi-weekly collection category, or it is to big to put into a bin.
I compost or re-use as much cardboard and paper as I can, and that is
most of it.

Baz
Old 20-04-2013, 03:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Baz wrote:
I wasn't criticising, we have one bin for plastic and cardboard, we have
one bin for general household waste, one bin for garden refuse, a box for
tin cans and glass, and a box for paper.

My parents used to have a collection like that. Now they have what we
have, which is 2 wheelies, one for general and one for all recycling.
(they also, I think, still have a garden waste box, which we never have)
(we have a food waste bin, but I never* use it)

Old 21-04-2013, 01:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in
:

Baz wrote:
I wasn't criticising, we have one bin for plastic and cardboard, we
have one bin for general household waste, one bin for garden refuse,
a box for tin cans and glass, and a box for paper.

My parents used to have a collection like that. Now they have what we
have, which is 2 wheelies, one for general and one for all recycling.
(they also, I think, still have a garden waste box, which we never
have) (we have a food waste bin, but I never* use it)

Interesting how things differ from county to county. We have got used to
"our" way. Not by any means perfect, but I like the idea of any recycling
regime. Anything but excessive landfill.
You mention a food waste bin. Cooked waste food?

Baz
Old 21-04-2013, 01:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote in message ...

wrote in
:

Baz wrote:
I wasn't criticising, we have one bin for plastic and cardboard, we
have one bin for general household waste, one bin for garden refuse,
a box for tin cans and glass, and a box for paper.

My parents used to have a collection like that. Now they have what we
have, which is 2 wheelies, one for general and one for all recycling.
(they also, I think, still have a garden waste box, which we never
have) (we have a food waste bin, but I never* use it)

Interesting how things differ from county to county. We have got used to
"our" way. Not by any means perfect, but I like the idea of any recycling
regime. Anything but excessive landfill.
You mention a food waste bin. Cooked waste food?

Baz

Why cook food and waste it? When my parents had the hotel one of the things
which annoyed them was food which had been prepared in excess. Possibly
because we had been through the War and knew what food rationing was?

One of my illustrated talks is on Food Rationing during World War II, which
I give to lots of WI's and TWG's and lots of the Ladies remember it and add
to my contribution.

Mike