Old 22-04-2003, 11:56 PM
Carl L Rosner

Default [IBC] stupid mistake

Dmitry:
I am sure that asking this question to this forum will bring out the I
Hate Serissa members, who will tell you that you should transplant it
again and again and again (until it is dead)! ;-) Seriously, I
wouldn't repot it again, just leave it alone. Serissa are tough, even
though they have a bad reputation. Treat the tree as you would any other
newly repotted tree. Just be watchful and do not over water.

Carl L. Rosner - near Atlantic City zone 6/7
http://bmee.net/rosner
http://www.jamesbaird.com/cgi-bin/Ja...d=00000068 48

Dmitry Akselrod wrote:

Hello everyone,

I just transplanted my Serissa Foetida into a new pot and new soil. Here is
where I made the mistake. I was once recomended soil from
www.bonsaiofbrooklyn.com. I somehow, with my incredible ADD powers, I
bought soil from www.bonsaiboy.com (Bonsai Boy of New York). I don't know
anything about this soil. I haven't been able to find anything about their
soil in the archives either.

Has anyone used their (Bonsai Boy of New York) tropical soil? Does anyone
know if my Foetida is safe in it for a year? Or should I buy the soil from
bonsai of brooklyn and transplant again? The tree is in its pot for the
second day. So far I have not seen any signs of trouble, but it is too
early to tell. My concern is that the soil does not seem to be as
well-draining, as promised. It does drain much better than regular potting
soil, but that's not saying much.

Thanx for your advice in advance,

Dmitry

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 23-04-2003, 12:20 AM
Jim Lewis

I just transplanted my Serissa Foetida into a new pot and new
soil. Here is
where I made the mistake. I was once recomended soil from
www.bonsaiofbrooklyn.com. I somehow, with my incredible ADD

powers, I
bought soil from www.bonsaiboy.com (Bonsai Boy of New York). I

don't know
anything about this soil. I haven't been able to find anything

about their
soil in the archives either.

Has anyone used their (Bonsai Boy of New York) tropical soil?

Does anyone
know if my Foetida is safe in it for a year? Or should I buy

the soil from
bonsai of brooklyn and transplant again?

I've never seen either of these soils, but I wouldn't lose sleep
over it. Despite all the discussion of various bonsai soil
recipes, bonsai soil is bonsai soil. Both of these companies
have been in biz for a while, and while I've heard complaints
about one of them, none of the complaints dealt with the dirt
they sold.

Serissa is a temperamental plant, but it IS tough. It'll do fine
in whatever it's planted in for a year or so. By then, you will
(I hope) be doing as the rest of us do and mixing your own soil
rather than paying good money to someone else for -- dirt.

David Thoreau - Walden

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 23-04-2003, 02:44 AM
Dmitry Akselrod

Thank you Carl! Yeah, I have read many posts regarding Serissa's temper
here. I suppose many people have grown to hate it. While it doesn't have
the glamour of a five needle pine, it works for me.

It hasn't given me too much trouble (*knocking on wood*), except for some
occasional yellow leafs. But I think that some acid application can remedy
that. I will wait a month or so to let the roots settle in however.

Thanx again,

Dmitry

"Carl L Rosner" wrote in message
Dmitry:
I am sure that asking this question to this forum will bring out the I
Hate Serissa members, who will tell you that you should transplant it
again and again and again (until it is dead)! ;-) Seriously, I
wouldn't repot it again, just leave it alone. Serissa are tough, even
though they have a bad reputation. Treat the tree as you would any other
newly repotted tree. Just be watchful and do not over water.

Carl L. Rosner - near Atlantic City zone 6/7
http://bmee.net/rosner

http://www.jamesbaird.com/cgi-bin/Ja...page&artistid=
0000006848

Dmitry Akselrod wrote:

[...]

****

****

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 23-04-2003, 02:44 AM
Dmitry Akselrod

"Jim Lewis" wrote in message

I've never seen either of these soils, but I wouldn't lose sleep
over it. Despite all the discussion of various bonsai soil
recipes, bonsai soil is bonsai soil. Both of these companies
have been in biz for a while, and while I've heard complaints
about one of them, none of the complaints dealt with the dirt
they sold.

Thank you for calming my worries Carl. I have done this a few times now,
but it doesn't seem to be any less scary, repotting a tree that is.

Serissa is a temperamental plant, but it IS tough. It'll do fine
in whatever it's planted in for a year or so. By then, you will
(I hope) be doing as the rest of us do and mixing your own soil
rather than paying good money to someone else for -- dirt.

I would love to mix my own soil, but I think that my wife would have my head
for that. She isn't very happy with dirt all over the carpet Plus I
live in an apartment in the heart of Philly where it's hard to find good
soil without a car. I am due for a trip to the Rosade Nursery however,
perhaps I can pick up a few bags of each component, earning a few days on
the couch in the process.

Thanx again,

Dmitry

David Thoreau - Walden

****

****

Old 23-04-2003, 02:32 PM
Carl L Rosner

Dmitry Akselrod wrote:

I would love to mix my own soil, but I think that my wife would have my head
for that. She isn't very happy with dirt all over the carpet Plus I
live in an apartment in the heart of Philly where it's hard to find good
soil without a car.

Dmitry:

You have to explain to your wife that Bonsai soil is not dirt... it is
soil! Of course, when you drop it on the floor it does become dirt!
Just be careful and put down a plastic sheeting when you mix your soil! :-D

Old 23-04-2003, 02:44 PM
Derek Zieminski

Dmitry,
I personally don't know anything about either of the two soils. But I do
have a thing for Serissa as everyone on the list knows. However with my
success with Serissa I have found that here in South Carolina they like a
very well draining soil. I tend to keep mine a little dry in the soil and
make sure that the tree above ground has high humidity. Which is the trick.
Here we have the high air humidity especially in the summer. In the winter I
always mist the leaves a keep the air more moist since I bring them indoors.
My only recommendation would be to make sure you have a well-draining soil.
Sorry I don't know anything about those two soil.

Good to here you have a Serissa!!!
Much Luck
Derek Zieminski
Summerville, SC
Zone 8A

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 23-04-2003, 02:44 PM
Bart Thomas

"Dmitry Akselrod" wrote in message

[...]

If you time your visit to Rosade's for May 3 or 4, you can participate in
their spring (free) open house. It's usually a lot of fun with demos etc.
Details will be up on their web site soon.

http://www.rosadebonsai.com/

They sell several kinds of good pre-mixed soil, so you don't have to mess up
your living room.

Bart

Old 23-04-2003, 03:32 PM
Neal Ross

I just don't understand Serissa's myself. I have/had two of them. I bought
them both at the same time, repotted them both at the same time without much
root pruning using the same mix soil. I put them both side by side at the
same location. I gave them the same treatment as far as water, sun, etc.
etc. and one of them died for no apparant reason. The other is flourishing.
Who knows???

--I crucified my hate and
held the world within my hands--
Neal Ross-Marysville CA

Old 23-04-2003, 06:44 PM
Carl L Rosner

Neal:
I think that could apply to any pair of trees. You do not know the
history of the trees before you purchased them. Or one could have been
attacked by spider mites, but not the other one. I am sure there could
be a hundred explanations for that occurrence.

Neal Ross wrote:

I just don't understand Serissa's myself. I have/had two of them. I bought
them both at the same time, repotted them both at the same time without much
root pruning using the same mix soil. I put them both side by side at the
same location. I gave them the same treatment as far as water, sun, etc.
etc. and one of them died for no apparant reason. The other is flourishing.
Who knows???

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Stupid mistake!!! MaxMustermann Gardening 3 21-11-2005 10:29 PM
Stupid Americans! -- Stupid... Stupid... STUPID!!! [email protected] Bonsai 3 17-02-2005 05:37 PM
stupid, stupid, stupid... but I got 'em on sale! Kevin Orchids 10 18-07-2003 10:10 PM
Stupid mistake Saffy United Kingdom 10 20-06-2003 09:20 PM
stupid mistake Dmitry Akselrod Bonsai 0 22-04-2003 09:20 PM