Old 27-05-2013, 08:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default The weekend is over

Woke this morning to what seems like a different season.
Cool to cold, no sun and quite a strong wind. with rain fast approaching.
David @ a bleak side of Swansea Bay
Old 27-05-2013, 09:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote ...

David Hill wrote:

Woke this morning to what seems like a different season.
Cool to cold, no sun and quite a strong wind. with rain fast approaching.
David @ a bleak side of Swansea Bay

It's a lovely day here.
I've wondered why we don't all move to a place with a warmer climate.
Forget about the south of France. I have friends there who are
wondering why they moved to France and not Australia

Well at least in France you won't get stung by a Box or Irukandji Jellyfish,
bitten by various spiders, ripped apart by a Salt Water Croc, ..... etc.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 27-05-2013, 09:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 27/05/2013 09:10, Bob Hobden wrote:
"Martin" wrote ...

David Hill wrote:

Woke this morning to what seems like a different season.
Cool to cold, no sun and quite a strong wind. with rain fast approaching.
David @ a bleak side of Swansea Bay

It's a lovely day here.
I've wondered why we don't all move to a place with a warmer climate.
Forget about the south of France. I have friends there who are
wondering why they moved to France and not Australia

Well at least in France you won't get stung by a Box or Irukandji Jellyfish,
bitten by various spiders, ripped apart by a Salt Water Croc, ..... etc.

Not forgetting the venomous snakes, of course. Whilst on a
plant-hunting holiday many years ago near Esperance in Western
Australia, in the road ahead was a Tiger Snake which was being mobbed by
birds. I drove over it ( carefully missing it). I stopped to get a
photo but thought better of it. Tigers are said to be bad-tempered, and
I was an hour's drive from the nearest hospital where they might have
had anti-venom.

Then there are the bull ants...

--

Jeff
Old 27-05-2013, 10:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Martin wrote:
On Mon, 27 May 2013 09:57:16 +0100, Jeff Layman
wrote:

Well at least in France you won't get stung by a Box or Irukandji Jellyfish,
bitten by various spiders, ripped apart by a Salt Water Croc, ..... etc.

Not forgetting the venomous snakes, of course.

There are venomous snakes in France too.

Aw, gee! Sorry, but the word "venomous" is more of a technical
term than a reality when applied to any European animal. By far
the most dangerous animal, as far as venom is concerned, is our
well-known and well-loved Apis mellifera.

Some of them are a bit more dangerous than the British adder,
but none of them compete even with the ones in North America,
and those don't compete with the ones in any of the other
continents (except Antarctica, of course).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 27-05-2013, 11:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Martin wrote:

Well at least in France you won't get stung by a Box or Irukandji Jellyfish,
bitten by various spiders, ripped apart by a Salt Water Croc, ..... etc.

Not forgetting the venomous snakes, of course.

There are venomous snakes in France too.

Aw, gee! Sorry, but the word "venomous" is more of a technical
term than a reality when applied to any European animal. By far
the most dangerous animal, as far as venom is concerned, is our
well-known and well-loved Apis mellifera.

Some of them are a bit more dangerous than the British adder,

The asp viper can kill.

Big deal. Lots of things can kill - the risk from it, even if you
are foolish enough to get bitten, is not particularly high. Yes,
it is higher than for the adder. That's also true for rattlesnakes,
incidentally.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 27-05-2013, 01:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Martin wrote:

The asp viper can kill.

Big deal. Lots of things can kill - the risk from it, even if you
are foolish enough to get bitten, is not particularly high.

Foolish? Asp vipers were in the car parks of an Italian company I used
to visit near Rome. Not something a visitor from cold northern Europe
expects. There were posters warning about the asp viper in the
security place in Italian, so maybe the average Italian doesn't expect
to find one in his car after he has left his car windows open on a hot
day.

There are such warnings about adders at several car parks in the UK,
but I have never seen such warnings in Africa :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 27-05-2013, 10:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message ...
In article ,
Martin wrote:

The asp viper can kill.

Big deal. Lots of things can kill - the risk from it, even if you
are foolish enough to get bitten, is not particularly high.

Foolish? Asp vipers were in the car parks of an Italian company I used
to visit near Rome. Not something a visitor from cold northern Europe
expects. There were posters warning about the asp viper in the
security place in Italian, so maybe the average Italian doesn't expect
to find one in his car after he has left his car windows open on a hot
day.

There are such warnings about adders at several car parks in the UK,
but I have never seen such warnings in Africa :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Neither have I, but then, I've never been to Africa !

Bill

Old 28-05-2013, 10:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 27 May 2013 11:44:15 +0200, Martin wrote:

On Mon, 27 May 2013 09:10:17 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

Well at least in France you won't get stung by a Box or Irukandji
Jellyfish,
bitten by various spiders, ripped apart by a Salt Water Croc, ..... etc.

Believe it or not this is true in some parts of Australia too :-)

A bit late to this thread, but on the subject of Aussie fauna, flora and
history, may I recommend "Australia" by Bill Bryson. I thought the book
not his best, but funny and as always well researched and full of
fascinating stuff.

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy
Old 28-05-2013, 02:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Well at least in France you won't get stung by a Box or Irukandji
Jellyfish,
bitten by various spiders, ripped apart by a Salt Water Croc, ..... etc.

Believe it or not this is true in some parts of Australia too :-)

A bit late to this thread, but on the subject of Aussie fauna, flora and
history, may I recommend "Australia" by Bill Bryson. I thought the book
not his best, but funny and as always well researched and full of
fascinating stuff.

I was weeping with laughter on the first page!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 28-05-2013, 04:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 28 May 2013 14:42:12 +0100, Sacha wrote:

A bit late to this thread, but on the subject of Aussie fauna, flora
and history, may I recommend "Australia" by Bill Bryson. I thought the
book not his best, but funny and as always well researched and full of
fascinating stuff.

I was weeping with laughter on the first page!

Adele recently read his "At Home" and enjoyed it so much that she read it
again! Our daughter thought she was really bats. But I enjoyed hearing
many anecdotes, and she seemed to find different ones (or I'd forgotten
them already!) the second time around.

--
Gardening in Lower Normandy

Old 28-05-2013, 07:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-05-28 16:38:04 +0100, Emery Davis said:

On Tue, 28 May 2013 14:42:12 +0100, Sacha wrote:

A bit late to this thread, but on the subject of Aussie fauna, flora
and history, may I recommend "Australia" by Bill Bryson. I thought the
book not his best, but funny and as always well researched and full of
fascinating stuff.

I was weeping with laughter on the first page!

Adele recently read his "At Home" and enjoyed it so much that she read it
again! Our daughter thought she was really bats. But I enjoyed hearing
many anecdotes, and she seemed to find different ones (or I'd forgotten
them already!) the second time around.

That's another that was enormously enjoyable. "Notes from a Small
Island" is of course the classic Bryson but Down Under (as 'Australia'
is called in UK) is a gem! He has a knack for conveying the quirks and
idiosyncracies of a country and its people but affectionately, even
while being humourous.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com