Old 09-11-2013, 10:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default At the risk of being unpopular

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
I agree that Newsgroups appear to be fading away quite quickly now, I
posted to another Ng a few days ago a technical question that 3 or 4 years
ago would have had probably more than 10 knowledgeable replies by now, but
I've had nothing at all.

I think the problem started when most ISPs stopped supporting newsgroups.
On my original computer there was a button on the toolbar which said
"newsgroups" and that's how I discovered Usenet. Then I had to get an NIN
subscription to continue (not a problem) but most new computer users don't
even know Usenet is there as there is no gateway to it. My last two
computers didn't have a ng button for interested minds to notice. but I've
recently bought an old Dell with Windows XP Professional on and it still has
the newsgroup button which I can click on and get the whole list of
newsgroups available, but maybe it's because I have NIN. I wonder what
would happen if I clicked on it and hadn't. At least it is there.
Unless the ISPs can be persuaded to support newsgroups again and promote
them, Usenet will die and it will be such a loss.
Tina

Old 09-11-2013, 10:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Jake wrote:

If I, as an IT expert, were to use and trust such a mechanism, I
would be showing a lamentable lack of professionalism.

And if either of us were to discuss, openly, what security we do use,
it would be a worse lack!

Well, yes, in general. But I can do so, because my requirements
are fairly modest. I ensure that, as far as possible, my systems
block all incoming attacks and I run my browser in a ghetto where
it can't write to my home directory or the rest of the system (and
where there are no setuid programs).

Because I have very little data of interest to the likes of the
Mafia, CIA, Mossad, MI5, Smersh etc., my only defence against
physical intrusion is to ensure that I don't store sensitive data
(e.g. bank account numbers and passwords), but type them in every
time.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-11-09 19:00:46 +0000, Nick Maclaren said:

In article ,
On 2013-11-09 16:40:50 +0000, Jake said:

Because I never use the same ID/Password combo in more than one
place,
I use a password manager - mine's paid for but there are several
freebies out there and even the paid for ones are not that expensive.
All I have to do is browse to location x and the manager automatically
logs me in.

Can anyone using your computer do the same, eliminating the
security/privacy benefit of passworded logins?

You probably need a password to log into it.

Give me physical access to your computer for a very short while,
and (with VERY high probability), I could find out all of your
stored passwords. No, I don't know how for Microsoft systems,
but I know how to find out. Could I protect myself against
that? Yes. Do I? Like hell, I do. The only real point in
password protecting home computers is if you have children or
other people who you don't trust.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

I was talking to our plumber a few weeks ago. He told us of the sudden
death of a colleague's wife. She ran all their personal and business
affairs from their computer and he had no idea of any passwords. For
weeks he was completely stymied. Our plumber said he was in exactly
the same position. His wife does all their office work and he has
absolutely no knowledge of it. I told him that when my ex-husband
died, very suddenly, his widow and my children had the helluva job
getting into his computer as did the techie they employed. Because of
this, one of my children had recommended to me that I listed all my
passwords and attached that to the copy of my will kept in our safe.
Sounds a good idea to me.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 09-11-2013, 11:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Sacha wrote:

I was talking to our plumber a few weeks ago. He told us of the sudden
death of a colleague's wife. She ran all their personal and business
affairs from their computer and he had no idea of any passwords. For
weeks he was completely stymied. Our plumber said he was in exactly
the same position. His wife does all their office work and he has
absolutely no knowledge of it. I told him that when my ex-husband
died, very suddenly, his widow and my children had the helluva job
getting into his computer as did the techie they employed. Because of
this, one of my children had recommended to me that I listed all my
passwords and attached that to the copy of my will kept in our safe.
Sounds a good idea to me.

Yes. A very good idea.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 10-11-2013, 12:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-11-09 23:22:47 +0000, Nick Maclaren said:

In article ,
Sacha wrote:

I was talking to our plumber a few weeks ago. He told us of the sudden
death of a colleague's wife. She ran all their personal and business
affairs from their computer and he had no idea of any passwords. For
weeks he was completely stymied. Our plumber said he was in exactly
the same position. His wife does all their office work and he has
absolutely no knowledge of it. I told him that when my ex-husband
died, very suddenly, his widow and my children had the helluva job
getting into his computer as did the techie they employed. Because of
this, one of my children had recommended to me that I listed all my
passwords and attached that to the copy of my will kept in our safe.
Sounds a good idea to me.

Yes. A very good idea.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Talking to a former urgler about this today, we discussed the fact that
some companies have now changed the id system. At one time it was "what
is your mother's maiden name". I can't speak for other countries but
for UK that has to be the worst kind of security. Anyone with access
to e.g. Ancestry plus your surname can get that in about 5 minutes. If
that IS the id question you have to give, lie. Give a name that has
nothing to do with you but be sure you remember it.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 10-11-2013, 12:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-11-09 09:32:36 +0000, Ophelia said:

"Derek" wrote in message

http://lincolnfuchsiasociety.info/

Ahh how is Lincoln these days? I miss it I used to live in Cherry
Willingham We had a nice garden there, not very big but it was the
first I'd ever had and I loved it

You know Ophelia I read this and thought of how much you've moved
around in your life and how little time you've had to establish a
garden and how badly you really do seem to want one. I may be terribly
wrong but it seems to me that this makes you tentative in a gardening
group. Please don't be. In fact, you're bringing a unique perspective
to this group that nobody else has. Your wish to create a garden is
there, wherever you settle down. If you're still on the move and can
have a window box or a couple of containers, you're gardening. Growing
stuff is gardening. That stuff may be a lettuce you cultivate for a
matter of weeks in a compost bag, or a tree you live with and watch for
30 years in your forever garden. ALL of it is gardening. So just go
ahead and garden your way and please, talk about it if you'd like to.
Your experience is quite different to that of most of us and its very
interesting.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 10-11-2013, 09:07 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Wolstenholme[_3_] View Post
I don't use Gardenbanter as it's a copy of URG.
I don't have newsreading software, and I haven't found anything for the Mac that you don't have to pay for. Google groups doesn't work for me, so gb is the way I access urg. Not very satisfactory, but it'll do.
__________________
Old 10-11-2013, 09:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-11-09 22:28:20 +0000, Christina Websell said:

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
[...]

If you search Google's page of what you can do/access, 'Groups' is
literally the very last thing mentioned. ;-(
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 10-11-2013, 09:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-11-09 19:06:39 +0000, Jake said:

On Sat, 9 Nov 2013 18:00:42 +0000, sacha wrote:

I endorse that! Jake, could you please email me re that password
thingy? I have so many and get in a real muddle over them all!

See my reply to Dave's post below. HTH. Happy to answer Q's here or
via email.

Thanks, Jake.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 10-11-2013, 10:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-11-09 16:40:50 +0000, Jake said:

[...]

I had a similar problem with my own company. My accountant of many years
went senile and started to make mistakes and he forgot to submit
accounts that he'd already prepared to companies house. I ended up
getting fined for late submission and didn't even know anything about it
until I received a letter from a bailiff! I switched to another
accountant, a young man in his thirties and within a year he was dead of
cancer and I was left in another deep mess with companies house. His
wife managed to salvage bits and pieces of information from his computer
but it was a complete nightmare to sort out. I've since dissolved the
company - it was just too much hassle and too many sleepless nights
dealing with companies house and all the other bureaucrats at customs &
excise.

--
David in Normandy.

Old 10-11-2013, 10:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"bert" ] wrote in message
In message , Ophelia
writes

"bert" ] wrote in message

We've been keeping monthly rainfall records for about 15 years now and
the average for each month closely correlates with the average for each
month up to 1956 (my wife studied geography and has a geographic atlas
published in that year). Wettest months are Oct and Nov closely
followed by August and July.

Does your wife know if the summers then were better than now? Would area
make a difference? I was in East Yorks.

Yes and no as explained above.
" the average for each month closely correlates with the average for each
month up to 1956" I have no idea about East Yorkshire or Timbuktu as I
don't have access to a rain gauge in those places.

Ok, thanks
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 10-11-2013, 10:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-11-09 12:57:18 +0000, Ophelia said:

"Martin" wrote in message
On Sat, 9 Nov 2013 09:33:48 -0000, "Ophelia"
wrote:

On 2013-11-08 20:56:11 +0000, S Viemeister said:

On 11/8/2013 3:18 PM, sacha wrote:

Seems that way to me, too. In memory, every day was spent on the
beach
with friends. We were rarely out of the water!

A cousin of mine (a primary teacher), says that remembering summers
that way, means that you had a happy childhood - you only remember
the
sunny days.

No, no, it was all like that! Honest! ;-)) I wonder if anyone
remembers
what they did on the rainy days, quite so clearly. I certainly don't.

I remember one or two really rainy days, running around holding a
giant
rhubarb leaf over my head as an umbrella, splashing in puddles,
getting
thoroughly soaked, and enjoying myself immensely.

No, I can't say I remember any of that! The days truly were long and
sunny I don't know if anyone agrees with me but we used to have
proper
summers and winters.

If you ever had camping holidays you must also remember some very wet
muddy holidays too

Never went camping as a child.

The only camping I ever did was Pony Club Camp - once. I was absolutely
freezing cold all night, the 'beds' were old army canvas things and were
beyond uncomfortable. And my horse escaped in the middle of the night and
we had to go looking for him. I swore then and there, at the age of 13,
that I'd never, ever camp again and I've stayed true to myself!

lol sound fair enough to me)
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 10-11-2013, 10:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Derek" wrote in message

http://lincolnfuchsiasociety.info/

Ahh how is Lincoln these days? I miss it I used to live in Cherry
Willingham

Live in Minster Drive :-)

New Crescent It was back in the dark ages though)))

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/
Old 10-11-2013, 11:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-11-09 09:32:36 +0000, Ophelia said:

"Derek" wrote in message

http://lincolnfuchsiasociety.info/

Ahh how is Lincoln these days? I miss it I used to live in Cherry
Willingham We had a nice garden there, not very big but it was the
first I'd ever had and I loved it

You know Ophelia I read this and thought of how much you've moved around
in your life and how little time you've had to establish a garden and how
badly you really do seem to want one.

Ahh you know me so well

I may be terribly
wrong but it seems to me that this makes you tentative in a gardening
group. Please don't be. In fact, you're bringing a unique perspective to
this group that nobody else has. Your wish to create a garden is there,
wherever you settle down. If you're still on the move and can have a
window box or a couple of containers, you're gardening. Growing stuff is
gardening. That stuff may be a lettuce you cultivate for a matter of weeks
in a compost bag, or a tree you live with and watch for 30 years in your
forever garden. ALL of it is gardening. So just go ahead and garden your
way and please, talk about it if you'd like to. Your experience is quite
different to that of most of us and its very interesting.

Hmm I think you may be alone there. I am not too sure anyone would be
interested in the wee things I do) Let me explain my limitations. I
run an aerogarden (hydroponic) all year round. I usually grow wee tomatoes
because Himself likes to pick them off like sweeties) I grow them outside
in a big pot in a basket in the summer too. Since we stayed in UK and
bought the caravan to move around with his consultancy work (he does like
his home cooked food), wherever we have been for any time I used to be
known on the sites as the plant lady LOL. Me of all people LOL

On the front of the caravan (is it the A frame?) and around it. I've had
big pots of whatever I can manage in season. I have indeed grown lettuce
and herbs and sometimes courgettes, just stuff like that, just stuff I can
transport easily when he moves to the next job.

Thank you for your kindness but I think I would bore the pants of the
serious gardeners here. BUT I can read and dream - and I do. I have high
hopes of persuading him to retire this year, so then watch me go))) I
think at this stage it will be just container gardening but at last I will
be able to pick and choose more easily what I can grow. I suppose atm the
only serious gardening I do is cleanup and trying to keep our garden looking
tidy for the short periods we are home. I have tried to plant things in it
but I usually miss when they are ready and they are just a mess when I get
home. If you notice my questions here are usually based on things like the
best ground cover and maintenance type stuff. Anything that makes it
easier for the times I am home and doing cleanup.

So, until then, I will continue to read avidly but in the background)

Thank you again. Your thoughts are much appreciated.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 10-11-2013, 01:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

You under rate the value of your experience.
How many tin#mes over the years have we been asked about plants for
troughs, baskets, tubs some wanting summer colour some winter show,
others again wanting to grow fruit or veg in containers.
How different are you to the person who lives in a 4th floor flat and
wants a window box or who has a 6ft by 3ft balcony and wants to grow
something?
You have faced problems that most of us have never experienced, so don't
under value your knowledge.
David @ a still, just sunny side of Swansea Bay