Old 07-11-2013, 01:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Hiding a garage

Our new bungalow has a detached concrete slab type of garage with an
asbestos roof. The roof is covered in green moss and so it doesn't
look so bad. The walls look awful as they just plain concrete. We want
something to cover the walls. So far we have one of those fast growing
vines and two virginia creepers growing up the walls but it would be
nice to have smething growing down from the moss covered roof. Any
ideas?

Steve

Old 07-11-2013, 01:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Stephen Wolstenholme" wrote in message

nice to have smething growing down from the moss covered roof. Any
ideas?

Have googled extensively but can find no reference to a plant
called 'smething'

Phil

Old 07-11-2013, 02:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 07/11/2013 13:18, Phil Gurr wrote:
"Stephen Wolstenholme" wrote in message

nice to have smething growing down from the moss covered roof. Any
ideas?

Have googled extensively but can find no reference to a plant
called 'smething'

Phil

Probably because you didn't press the "Any" key.

But regarding the planting, I'd forget trying to have something growing
down from the roof, nothing for it to root into and to get feed and
water from.
You could however put a row of troughs along the edge of the roof and
grow hanging plants such as trailing geraniums, nasturtiums etc. over
the summer months but remember you will have to block the lower side to
keep the troughs upright, and they will need frequent watering.
Old 07-11-2013, 03:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 07/11/2013 13:02, Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:
Our new bungalow has a detached concrete slab type of garage with an
asbestos roof. The roof is covered in green moss and so it doesn't
look so bad. The walls look awful as they just plain concrete. We want
something to cover the walls. So far we have one of those fast growing
vines and two virginia creepers growing up the walls but it would be
nice to have smething growing down from the moss covered roof. Any
ideas?

Steve

It seems to me that if you grow anything substantial down from the roof,
it will eventually block the light reaching the existing vines. This is
apart from (as has already been said) there being very little sustenance
for any plant to grow in up there.

You either have to be patient or, if you really want to grow something
on the roof, have it structurally assessed before setting up a roof
garden. Even the usual roof garden planting (sedums, sempervivums,
etc.) does not hang down, but it will attract bees and other insects.

If your garden were large enough and you had a vacant sunny plot next to
the garage, you could build a pergola along the length of the miscreant
wall, and grow wisteria. That would be a considerable distraction!

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 07-11-2013, 04:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-11-07 15:48:28 +0000, Spider said:

[...]

And the other problem with planting to hide is that sometimes it has
the opposite effect and draws the eye! So if a structure such as you
suggest can't be used, something unshowy and evergreen would be best.
I'm a bit concerned that Stephen has planted virginia creeper because
it loses its leaves in autumn and Russian vine - which I suspect might
be the fast grower he means - is a nightmare to control. In fact, he
won't have to worry about anything growing from the roof because
shortly, the roof wil be invisible. This is a cautionary tale!
http://www.gardenersworld.com/blogs/...vine/3220.html
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 07-11-2013, 06:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-11-07 15:48:28 +0000, Spider said:

On 07/11/2013 13:02, Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:
Our new bungalow has a detached concrete slab type of garage with an
asbestos roof. The roof is covered in green moss and so it doesn't
look so bad. The walls look awful as they just plain concrete. We want
something to cover the walls. So far we have one of those fast growing
vines and two virginia creepers growing up the walls but it would be
nice to have smething growing down from the moss covered roof. Any
ideas?

Just a thought, if you have a wall that gets the full sun then that's
just the place to grow peaches against, failing that for cover and fruit
why not plant Kiwi fruit (actinidia) there are some self fertile forms
available. They would love the extra heat reflected from the wall.

Old 07-11-2013, 07:26 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Wolstenholme[_3_] View Post
Our new bungalow has a detached concrete slab type of garage with an
asbestos roof. The roof is covered in green moss and so it doesn't
look so bad. The walls look awful as they just plain concrete. We want
something to cover the walls. So far we have one of those fast growing
vines and two virginia creepers growing up the walls but it would be
nice to have smething growing down from the moss covered roof. Any
ideas?
If you've got one of "those fast growing vines" (Russian vine? aka mile-a-minute vine) and two Virginias creepers, in about two years you won't be able to find where you put the garage. So I wouldn't worry about planting anything else.
__________________
Old 07-11-2013, 11:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-11-07 19:26:09 +0000, kay said:

'Stephen Wolstenholme[_3_ Wrote:
;994726']Our new bungalow has a detached concrete slab type of garage
with an
asbestos roof. The roof is covered in green moss and so it doesn't
look so bad. The walls look awful as they just plain concrete. We want
something to cover the walls. So far we have one of those fast growing
vines and two virginia creepers growing up the walls but it would be
nice to have smething growing down from the moss covered roof. Any
ideas?

If you've got one of "those fast growing vines" (Russian vine? aka
mile-a-minute vine) and two Virginias creepers, in about two years you
won't be able to find where you put the garage. So I wouldn't worry
about planting anything else.

Two years?! I'd give it two months from next spring.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 08-11-2013, 08:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-11-07 19:26:09 +0000, kay said:

'Stephen Wolstenholme[_3_ Wrote:
;994726']Our new bungalow has a detached concrete slab type of garage
with an
asbestos roof. The roof is covered in green moss and so it doesn't
look so bad. The walls look awful as they just plain concrete. We want
something to cover the walls. So far we have one of those fast growing
vines and two virginia creepers growing up the walls but it would be
nice to have smething growing down from the moss covered roof. Any
ideas?

If you've got one of "those fast growing vines" (Russian vine? aka
mile-a-minute vine) and two Virginias creepers, in about two years you
won't be able to find where you put the garage. So I wouldn't worry
about planting anything else.

Two years?! I'd give it two months from next spring.

Don.t be so sure.
I planted Russian vine to cover a set of old pig sty's years ago 3 years
later I decided to hell with it, I had about 7ft of growth, so hacked it
off at ground level. The following spring it took off and almost covered
the buildings in one season.
David @ a yet again wet side of Swansea Bay.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-11-07 15:48:28 +0000, Spider said:

On 07/11/2013 13:02, Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:
Our new bungalow has a detached concrete slab type of garage with an
asbestos roof. The roof is covered in green moss and so it doesn't
look so bad. The walls look awful as they just plain concrete. We want
something to cover the walls. So far we have one of those fast growing
vines and two virginia creepers growing up the walls but it would be
nice to have smething growing down from the moss covered roof. Any
ideas?

Just a thought, if you have a wall that gets the full sun then that's
just the place to grow peaches against, failing that for cover and fruit
why not plant Kiwi fruit (actinidia) there are some self fertile forms
available. They would love the extra heat reflected from the wall.

One wall is South facing so it's gets the Sun.Anything we plant needs
to be low maintenance because we are both disabled. Espalier peach or
kiwi is a possible.

Steve

Old 08-11-2013, 10:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:

One wall is South facing so it's gets the Sun.Anything we plant needs
to be low maintenance because we are both disabled. Espalier peach or
kiwi is a possible.

Actinidia is not.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

On 2013-11-07 15:48:28 +0000, Spider said:

[...]

Espaliers are not low maintenance and kiwi is not self-clinging to a
flat wall.

For all year round, handsome, discreet and fool proof cover I'd
recommend plain green ivy hedera hibernica. If you know anybody who has
some they can give you cuttings to (very easily) root and plant them
around the garage footings.

http://www.spaldingbulb.co.uk/produc...vy-hibernica-/

Janet.

Old 08-11-2013, 11:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2013-11-07 19:26:09 +0000, kay said:

[...]

Obviously it needed showing who was boss! Someone down the lane from us
planted 3 on a fence about 24' long. The house up for sale but I expect
it's just a coincidence!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 08-11-2013, 11:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 8 Nov 2013 10:41:43 -0000, Janet wrote:

Espaliers are not low maintenance and kiwi is not self-clinging to a
flat wall.

We are still thinking about it. As we are disabled we would need to
get some help initially but once in place what does it need apart from
pruning?

For all year round, handsome, discreet and fool proof cover I'd
recommend plain green ivy hedera hibernica. If you know anybody who has
some they can give you cuttings to (very easily) root and plant them
around the garage footings.

There is lots of variegated ivy already on the garden and house walls.
We want something different for the garage.

Steve

Old 08-11-2013, 11:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:
On Fri, 8 Nov 2013 10:41:43 -0000, Janet wrote:

Espaliers are not low maintenance and kiwi is not self-clinging to a
flat wall.

We are still thinking about it. As we are disabled we would need to
get some help initially but once in place what does it need apart from
pruning?

"Apart from pruning"! If it gets going, that's a major task - and,
while it bleeds if pruned at most times of year, you often can't
tolerate a year's growth before hacking it back.

Something that might do well is Campsis. That grows like ivy, with
flowers at the top where it leaves the support. It is deciduous,
but the flowers are spectacular in July/August. And, for such a
use, it should be low-maintenance.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Hiding the Skimmer pixi Ponds 10 12-04-2004 04:33 AM
ideas for hiding sides of preformed ponds? Rockypierre Ponds 3 19-06-2003 05:56 PM
Hiding a concrete fence? JS United Kingdom 7 09-04-2003 04:32 PM
Hiding a chain link fence in Illinois [email protected] Gardening 5 01-03-2003 06:27 PM
hiding ugly gas tanks: regulations A.Malhotra United Kingdom 13 04-12-2002 07:37 PM