Old 01-01-2014, 11:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default What a start to the year

Happy new year folks,
What a start, already with last nights rain/hail we have had 1.2 inches
and water is running everywhere, pouring off the fields above and just
rushing down the track like a river.
It's a good job we are high up and on sloping ground so no chance of
major flooding.
Hope no one gets washed away over the next few days.
David @ a very wet side of Swansea Bay.
Old 01-01-2014, 11:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David Hill" wrote in message ...

Happy new year folks,
What a start, already with last nights rain/hail we have had 1.2 inches
and water is running everywhere, pouring off the fields above and just
rushing down the track like a river.
It's a good job we are high up and on sloping ground so no chance of
major flooding.
Hope no one gets washed away over the next few days.
David @ a very wet side of Swansea Bay.

And to you - David.

Surfs up nicely - up- North, in your country (:-)

http://www.wirralcam.com/csource/fslarge.jpg

Pete
Old 01-01-2014, 04:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-01-01 11:12:40 +0000, David Hill said:

Happy new year folks,
What a start, already with last nights rain/hail we have had 1.2 inches
and water is running everywhere, pouring off the fields above and just
rushing down the track like a river.
It's a good job we are high up and on sloping ground so no chance of
major flooding.
Hope no one gets washed away over the next few days.
David @ a very wet side of Swansea Bay.

Foul and disgusting weather here, even dripping through onto the stone
flags where a porch joins an outside door! It takes some rain and wind
power to achieve that! We had to forego the New Year's Day flower count!
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 01-01-2014, 08:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-01-01 11:12:40 +0000, David Hill said:

Happy new year folks,
What a start, already with last nights rain/hail we have had 1.2
inches and water is running everywhere, pouring off the fields above
and just rushing down the track like a river.
It's a good job we are high up and on sloping ground so no chance of
major flooding.
Hope no one gets washed away over the next few days.
David @ a very wet side of Swansea Bay.

Foul and disgusting weather here, even dripping through onto the stone
flags where a porch joins an outside door! It takes some rain and wind
power to achieve that! We had to forego the New Year's Day flower count!

Foul weather here, too. Ugh!. It wasn't until it was dark that I
remembered the NYD Flower count. First time I've missed it. Mind you,
I did have a minor emergency earlier in the day which completely
distracted me. We'll all have to wait for next NYD now.

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 01-01-2014, 09:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-01-01 11:12:40 +0000, David Hill said:

Happy new year folks,
What a start, already with last nights rain/hail we have had 1.2
inches and water is running everywhere, pouring off the fields above
and just rushing down the track like a river.
It's a good job we are high up and on sloping ground so no chance of
major flooding.
Hope no one gets washed away over the next few days.
David @ a very wet side of Swansea Bay.

Foul and disgusting weather here, even dripping through onto the stone
flags where a porch joins an outside door! It takes some rain and wind
power to achieve that! We had to forego the New Year's Day flower count!

Foul weather here, too. Ugh!. It wasn't until it was dark that I
remembered the NYD Flower count. First time I've missed it. Mind you,
I did have a minor emergency earlier in the day which completely
distracted me. We'll all have to wait for next NYD now.

I'm sure a day or so late wont matter that much.

Old 01-01-2014, 10:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-01-01 11:12:40 +0000, David Hill said:

Happy new year folks,
[...]

I hope Spider's emergency really was minor and while I won't be able to
do ours tomorrow, thanks to family commitments, I'll hope to do it on
Friday, weather permitting.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 01-01-2014, 10:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-01-01 11:12:40 +0000, David Hill said:

Happy new year folks,
[...]

Right then. I'll have to have a go tomorrow.

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 01-01-2014, 11:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-01-01 11:12:40 +0000, David Hill said:

Happy new year folks,
[...]

Bless you, Sacha! It was nothing to harm either of us, thankfully, but
a terrified elderly neighbour in the realms of Alzheimers with Lewy
Bodies who turned up on our doorstep. Not for the first time, poor
lady. She was in a dreadful state due to a totally imaginary but
nightmarish scenario. I spent some time with her, and eventually her
daughter came to rescue her. Daughter and I both stayed with her until
she came to her true mind and was fit enough to go home.

We are grateful that she always remembers to come here. We don't mind,
although it is very sad to see an old friend so affected. It is good to
be the port in a friend's often bizarre storm. We just hope she has
some calm days now.

Thank you for your kind thoughts, though :~).

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 02-01-2014, 01:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 01/01/2014 16:46, sacha wrote:
t takes some rain and wind power to achieve that! We had to forego the
New Year's Day flower count!
--

Indeed, weather does not cheer anyone up at the moment. Will finish off
my free seed lists from RHS, HPS and Cottage Garden Society, then

--
Janet Tweedy
South Buckinghamshire

---

Old 02-01-2014, 10:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-01-01 11:12:40 +0000, David Hill said:

Happy new year folks,
[...]

Poor old lady, it must be terrifying to be in the grip of something
imaginary but so very real to the sufferer. My grandmother started to
slip back into the past when she was in her 80s but nothing terrible
like that and at 95, my mother is now extremely forgetful, even of
members of her family but again, is living quite happily and peacefully
at home with carers and without any 'terrors'. Your neighbour is so
lucky to have you and as you say, to remember to come to you when she
has one of these episodes. One old lady we had as a neighbour and for
whom we were her first responders and an almost daily port of call for
a chat, or an evening glass of something, became completely
disorientated and almost wild with fear when her family moved her into
sheltered housing. It was totally unsuitable for her real needs and led
rapidly to a secure unit because she deteriorated so quickly.
Unfortunately, we were in NZ when it all happened and came back to find
it all done and dusted and nothing we could do. She died two years
later, having had a hellish time.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 02-01-2014, 10:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-01-02 01:08:47 +0000, Janet Tweedy said:

On 01/01/2014 16:46, sacha wrote:
t takes some rain and wind power to achieve that! We had to forego the
New Year's Day flower count!
--

Indeed, weather does not cheer anyone up at the moment. Will finish off
my free seed lists from RHS, HPS and Cottage Garden Society, then
Plant world catalogue. (Where do they get their seeds from? In their
garden there were very few that are listed in the catalogue)

I think Ray Brown gets some from abroad, as well as growing as many as
he can himself. I may be wrong but I'm under the impression that he
goes on some plant and seed collecting expeditions himself. I sent
off a nice big order to Jelitto the other day and it does rather make
the mouth water!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Old 02-01-2014, 10:56 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-01-01 11:12:40 +0000, David Hill said:

Happy new year folks,
[...]

How awful! I hope that doesn't happen to our friend/neighbour. She
really couldn't cope with it, and they can't medicate her for it now
without inducing a stroke:~(. Her family are really good with her, but
both have to work, which makes it difficult. Thankfully, they trust us
and have made us keyholders, so we can deal with most emergencies. I
just hope she doesn't have an episode when we are out. I don't know
what she would do. Anyway, panic over for now.

--
Spider.
On high ground in SE London

Old 02-01-2014, 01:24 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet Tweedy[_3_] View Post
On 01/01/2014 16:46, sacha wrote:
t takes some rain and wind power to achieve that! We had to forego the
New Year's Day flower count!
--

Indeed, weather does not cheer anyone up at the moment.
Today is such a contrast! Just back from a gentle walk in the sunshine, through local parks and up to the high ground at the edge of town, where we watched a flock of lapwings - not a bird we were expecting to see so close to the urban edge - and a very close-up red kite, so beautiful. Then on the way back, the redwings were out in force on the whitebeams in the gardens.
__________________
Old 03-01-2014, 03:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 02/01/2014 10:45, Sacha wrote:
I think Ray Brown gets some from abroad, as well as growing as many as
he can himself. I may be wrong but I'm under the impression that he goes
on some plant and seed collecting expeditions himself. I sent off a
nice big order to Jelitto the other day and it does rather make the
mouth water!

Oh now haven't had their catalogue for ages. Must look them up.

--
Janet Tweedy
South Buckinghamshire

---

Old 03-01-2014, 11:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-01-03 03:11:00 +0000, Janet Tweedy said:

On 02/01/2014 10:45, Sacha wrote:
I think Ray Brown gets some from abroad, as well as growing as many as
he can himself. I may be wrong but I'm under the impression that he goes
on some plant and seed collecting expeditions himself. I sent off a
nice big order to Jelitto the other day and it does rather make the
mouth water!

Oh now haven't had their catalogue for ages. Must look them up.

They have a web site, Janet and you pick your language! I *think* you
have to open an account but as the Nursery has had one for years before
I came on the scene, I'm not sure about that! Their 'Gold Nugget'
seeds are a bit more expensive but infallible, according to Ray.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com