Old 08-03-2014, 10:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Copper wire to deter algae in ponds

On Fri, 07 Mar 2014 08:13:06 +0000, Chris Hogg wrote:

A strip of bare copper wire along the ridge of a house roof is
supposed to keep the roof clear of moss.

Why keep it clear of moss?
Moss on the roof helps to keep the heat in.

Steve

--
Neural Network Software http://www.npsnn.com
EasyNN-plus More than just a neural network http://www.easynn.com

Old 08-03-2014, 12:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 8 Mar 2014 11:06:01 -0000, Janet wrote:

In article ,
says...

On Fri, 07 Mar 2014 08:13:06 +0000, Chris Hogg wrote:

A strip of bare copper wire along the ridge of a house roof is
supposed to keep the roof clear of moss.

Why keep it clear of moss?
Moss on the roof helps to keep the heat in.

It's usually a sign of a wet climate. Surely, a blanket of wet moss
would act as a small refrigerator :-)

The moss on my roof drains when the rain stops.

But apart from its rapid growth and water-damming properties, moss
tends to be rather acid and a build up can quite rapidly damage some
roof materials.

It hasn't caused any damage to my roof and it's been growing for about
50 years.

It didn't grow on my previous house roof because it was tiled. Some
tiles slipped or blew off occasionally. I can't help but think that
moss holds some roof materials in place.

Steve

Old 08-03-2014, 12:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 3/8/2014 7:31 AM, Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:

It hasn't caused any damage to my roof and it's been growing for about
50 years.

It hasn't damaged my roof, either, but when clumps of it come loose,
they can clog the drains.

Old 08-03-2014, 07:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
In The Garden of Evening Mists, the woman learning from the Japanese
master is set to making balls out of copper strips. These are thrown into
the pond and sink. He tells her this is to deter algae. Has anyone ever
tried it and I wonder if it would work on the accursed duckweed?
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com

Who would want to trhow a copper ball into hs/her sink?.....:-)

Anyway, meny years ago my bro'in-law ad a small pond which was pea green
with algae. By chance he came with me to a local pet shop/fish shop where I
bought some bags of Daphnea. He decided to get some for the fish in his
pond. He dumped his Daphnea into the water and within two days the water was
Gin clear. Amazing result.

Bill

Old 08-03-2014, 07:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message
"Martin" wrote in message

On Thu, 6 Mar 2014 15:34:45 +0000, Sacha
wrote:

In The Garden of Evening Mists, the woman learning from the Japanese
master is set to making balls out of copper strips. These are thrown
into the pond and sink. He tells her this is to deter algae. Has anyone
ever tried it and I wonder if it would work on the accursed duckweed?

The Dutch used to put powered copper electrodes in the water of their
large boat
houses to reduce weed. It's probably banned now.
There are no fish left in the IJsselmeer because either
a) Over fishing - government version.
b) The water is too clean, so no food for the fish to feed on. Fishermen's
version.
There is going to be a three year ban on fishing.
--

Martin in Zuid Holland

======================================

Martin I hope we are not getting confused with "Cathodic Protection" which
is a whole different ball game.

Mike

www.friendsofshanklintheatre.co.uk
www.hmscollingwoodassociation.com
www.rneba.org.uk
www.nsrafa.org

We know, we know !

Bill

Old 09-03-2014, 09:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 8 Mar 2014 19:50:51 -0000, "Bill Grey"
wrote:

Who would want to trhow a copper ball into hs/her sink?.....:-)

Anyway, meny years ago my bro'in-law ad a small pond which was pea green
with algae. By chance he came with me to a local pet shop/fish shop where I
bought some bags of Daphnea. He decided to get some for the fish in his
pond. He dumped his Daphnea into the water and within two days the water was
Gin clear. Amazing result.

Bill

When I was an aquarist I put more effort into keeping daphnia than the
fish!

Steve

Old 09-03-2014, 10:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2014-03-08 19:50:51 +0000, Bill Grey said:

"Sacha" wrote in message
In The Garden of Evening Mists, the woman learning from the Japanese
master is set to making balls out of copper strips. These are thrown
into the pond and sink. He tells her this is to deter algae. Has anyone
ever tried it and I wonder if it would work on the accursed duckweed?
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
South Devon
www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Who would want to trhow a copper ball into hs/her sink?.....:-)

There's always one... ;-)

Anyway, meny years ago my bro'in-law ad a small pond which was pea
green with algae. By chance he came with me to a local pet shop/fish
shop where I bought some bags of Daphnea. He decided to get some for
the fish in his pond. He dumped his Daphnea into the water and within
two days the water was Gin clear. Amazing result.

Bill

This morning there were small oily streaks on the surface of one of the
ponds. We think that usually means the heron has come calling!
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com