Old 18-04-2014, 03:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Clematis woes

My Boughton Bride seems to have given up the ghost, probably due
to waterlogging. The location is normally well-drained, but does
saturate in continual, heavy rain.

My Clematis flammula shoot has gone flop, so I have watered it,
but am not optimistic. It's not supposed to get wilt, but even
species clematis often get something very like wilt with me.
Unless it picks up pronto, I will treat it as wilt.

The same happened to my C. florida, which I have put back in a
pot - it has survived two bouts of 'wilt' but I wouldn't bet on
a third.

Mutter. Any ideas on the wilt-like problem?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 18-04-2014, 04:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

My Boughton Bride seems to have given up the ghost, probably due
to waterlogging. The location is normally well-drained, but does
saturate in continual, heavy rain.

My Clematis flammula shoot has gone flop, so I have watered it,
but am not optimistic. It's not supposed to get wilt, but even
species clematis often get something very like wilt with me.
Unless it picks up pronto, I will treat it as wilt.

The same happened to my C. florida, which I have put back in a
pot - it has survived two bouts of 'wilt' but I wouldn't bet on
a third.

Mutter. Any ideas on the wilt-like problem?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

The montana is most likely to be wet roots this last winter, unless it was
of some age? in which case the old stems can rot from the inside out,
Clematis stems are not that long lived so it always pays to have more than
one.

I am sure I have posted this before but with montana and alpina/macropetala
sorts if you cut the bottom off a pot half bury it then plant in the top you
get a sort of mini raised bed which helps keep the crowns dry in winter.

Flammula is just a short lived plant 3-10 years is normal, I always keep
seed each year just in case.

florida wilts for a past time, not normally fungal it just doesn't like
weather!

Ideas? yep grow viticella types!!
--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 18-04-2014, 04:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Fri, 18 Apr 2014 15:46:05 +0100 (BST),
(Nick Maclaren) wrote:

My Boughton Bride seems to have given up the ghost, probably due
to waterlogging. The location is normally well-drained, but does
saturate in continual, heavy rain.

My Clematis flammula shoot has gone flop, so I have watered it,
but am not optimistic. It's not supposed to get wilt, but even
species clematis often get something very like wilt with me.
Unless it picks up pronto, I will treat it as wilt.

The same happened to my C. florida, which I have put back in a
pot - it has survived two bouts of 'wilt' but I wouldn't bet on
a third.

Mutter. Any ideas on the wilt-like problem?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

The big problem with the fungal cause of wilt is that it spreads
between plants on contact. Either directly between plants or on
fingers, gardening tools and in soil. I gave up trying to cure it
years ago as so many plants had died. At the moment the new leaves on
three plants are looking good but I'm not placing bets yet. All three
plants are common purple montana growing against a wooden panel fence
that has a very dry concrete base. They only get rain as I don't water
them.

Steve

--
Neural Network Software
http://www.npsnn.com

Old 18-04-2014, 04:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/04/2014 15:46, Nick Maclaren wrote:
My Boughton Bride seems to have given up the ghost, probably due
to waterlogging. The location is normally well-drained, but does
saturate in continual, heavy rain.

My Clematis flammula shoot has gone flop, so I have watered it,
but am not optimistic. It's not supposed to get wilt, but even
species clematis often get something very like wilt with me.
Unless it picks up pronto, I will treat it as wilt.

The same happened to my C. florida, which I have put back in a
pot - it has survived two bouts of 'wilt' but I wouldn't bet on
a third.

Mutter. Any ideas on the wilt-like problem?

No. Last year around this time I planted a C. armandii "Hendersonii
Rubra". I expected it to race away. It didn't, and started to die
back, as though it had wilt - which is very unusual for an evergreen
clematis. Fortunately it survived and this year has gone mad, making up
for lost time, with no sign of any dieback.

As I posted a week or so ago, a Clematis "Denny's double" seemingly had
wilt. One side has died completely, the other has many flower buds,
with one about to open. There is no sign of the wilted stem being
physically damaged (eaten) in any way.

I've given up trying to grow C. florida sieboldii, as it always died
back just before it flowered.

Charlie P recommends viticella cultivars as he reckons they are more
resistant to wilt. Maybe time to try one?

--

Jeff
Old 18-04-2014, 05:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Charlie Pridham wrote:

Thanks.

The montana is most likely to be wet roots this last winter, unless it was
of some age? in which case the old stems can rot from the inside out,
Clematis stems are not that long lived so it always pays to have more than
one.

Montana? I don't have any! Exactly what Broughton Bride is, I am
not sure, but it's probably alpina/koreana.

I am sure I have posted this before but with montana and alpina/macropetala
sorts if you cut the bottom off a pot half bury it then plant in the top you
get a sort of mini raised bed which helps keep the crowns dry in winter.

Yes, and I have copied that elsewhere. This bed SHOULD have been
OK - I wasn't planning for last winter :-(

I hope that I haven't lost my Erythrina crista-galli, nearby,
but may have done.

Flammula is just a short lived plant 3-10 years is normal, I always keep
seed each year just in case.

I planted it last year :-(

florida wilts for a past time, not normally fungal it just doesn't like
weather!

Yes, but I am always keen on pushing the boundaries - they don't
always move, though ....

Ideas? yep grow viticella types!!

Well, yes, but I wanted that one for that location.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 19-04-2014, 01:35 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Maclaren[_3_] View Post
My Boughton Bride seems to have given up the ghost, probably due
to waterlogging. The location is normally well-drained, but does
saturate in continual, heavy rain.

My Clematis flammula shoot has gone flop, so I have watered it,
but am not optimistic. It's not supposed to get wilt, but even
species clematis often get something very like wilt with me.
Unless it picks up pronto, I will treat it as wilt.

The same happened to my C. florida, which I have put back in a
pot - it has survived two bouts of 'wilt' but I wouldn't bet on
a third.

Mutter. Any ideas on the wilt-like problem?
I used to think I was getting wilt on clematis - lengths of stem just flopping and keeling over. Then I realised it was snails having gnawed on the skin of the stem some distance below. Now I make sure I don't prune within 4-6 ft of the ground, so that everything up to that height is woody rather than green and tender. But I don't expect you get snail problems where you are.
__________________
Old 19-04-2014, 03:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
kay wrote:

I used to think I was getting wilt on clematis - lengths of stem just
flopping and keeling over. Then I realised it was snails having gnawed
on the skin of the stem some distance below. Now I make sure I don't
prune within 4-6 ft of the ground, so that everything up to that height
is woody rather than green and tender. But I don't expect you get snail
problems where you are.

Don't bet on it :-( That's worth looking at - thanks.

Regards,
Nick.

Webb Starting woes Bevilready Lawns 3 01-04-2009 09:40 AM
Clematis with Halictid Bee - Clematis with Halictid Bee.jpg (1/1) Dave Fouchey Garden Photos 0 23-04-2007 12:00 AM
Clematis with Halictid Bee - Clematis with Halictid Bee.jpg (0/1) Dave Fouchey Garden Photos 0 23-04-2007 12:00 AM
Clematis - Clematis-Bright-Sun.jpg Dave Fouchey Garden Photos 2 22-04-2007 10:14 PM
new product(?)electric fencing for raccoon woes K30a Ponds 3 24-02-2003 11:10 PM